UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

No student loan for foundation!?

??
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I thought you meant that you had spent your entire student loan and could no longer afford foundation...

Obviously not.

Useless reply since I can't help, sorry!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
I got one for mine at MMU, no bursary though
Reply 3
Unfortunately, the down side is that foundation level is offered by the university privately and directly, similar to postgraduate, which isn't supported by government finance (loans and/or grants). The upside is that the course fee is considerably less, around £1,100-300, (depending on the college you apply to) compared to an undergraduate government fixed fee of £3,225. I would advise trying to work full time during the summer before your course to supplement this fee and to gain support from your parents, if possible. I can't really help any further, since I was an international student.
Reply 4
Nadine Shanahan
so ive just recently learnt you can't get a student loan for foundation :s-smilie: i'm applying next year for foundation at UAL in 2010 and a bit worried. Is it true the government pay for you fees? are there no bursurys or anything to help you?

Thanks

Hey since your foundation course is a further education course, if you are an EU student under 19 years old on 31st August 2010 the course fees will be £0, however I think you have to pay for some of the course materials at the beginning of the year. (My sister is currently doing a foundation course at Camberwell college of Arts)

From central st martin's website
http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/courses/further_education/foundation-art-and-design.htm

But you are right the government do not give loans or bursary to further education courses, i guess in order to pay for your accomodation and living you may have to see about getting a job. You may be able to get one at your students union.

I would call up the university in question to confirm this just in case I'm wrong :o:
yes you will definitely have to get a job to support yourself unless you get a private loan but if you are under 19 as above said you should be able to study for free if you are from the EU and only pay for accomodation.
Reply 6
Interesting, I wasn't aware that you're entitled to study for free on the basis that you're under nineteen. I'm assuming this is something new? The only downer is that the competition will probably become even more fierce next year because of this (after all, the wide majority of students that study foundation are under nineteen, anyway).
Reply 7
It's not free, which is why I would opt to do a foundation DEGREE over a foundation COURSE. It's 2 years long and you have the opportunity to work in the industry as well as study. Then to get a BA all you have to do is a one year top up. You get funding to do a foundation degree, but not for a foundation course. You end up paying more overall for a foundation course which is what put me off.
Reply 8
kat2pult
It's not free, which is why I would opt to do a foundation DEGREE over a foundation COURSE. It's 2 years long and you have the opportunity to work in the industry as well as study. Then to get a BA all you have to do is a one year top up. You get funding to do a foundation degree, but not for a foundation course. You end up paying more overall for a foundation course which is what put me off.

I agree, but unfortunately only certain colleges and universities offer foundation 'degrees', whereas many applicants may want to study an undergraduate degree at their chosen place (this is particularly pertinent for creative subjects). Many colleges and universities (including the colleges of the University of the Arts London) normally require an art foundation 'diploma', before considering you for their undergraduate courses. Many students that choose to study an art foundation at one of the colleges of the UAL are doing so with the intention to study an undergraduate course at the same college (or another college or university).

Edit: Besides, if the information above is any indicator (http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/courses/fu...nd-design.htm), you won't need to pay any fees.
Reply 9
Matisse
I agree, but unfortunately only certain colleges and universities offer foundation 'degrees', whereas many applicants may want to study an undergraduate degree at their chosen place (this is particularly pertinent for creative subjects). Many colleges and universities (including the colleges of the University of the Arts London) normally require an art foundation 'diploma', before considering you for their undergraduate courses. Many students that choose to study an art foundation at one of the colleges of the UAL are doing so with the intention to study an undergraduate course at the same college (or another college or university).

Edit: Besides, if the information above is any indicator (http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/courses/further_education/foundation-art-and-design.htm), you won't need to pay any fees.

Very very true, however if you're prepared to be a bit flexible, there are some courses at the UAL that don't actually require a foundation course. I've applied for Graphic and Media Design (Design for Advertising) (ENF5) at the London College of Communication and they don't require one.

Sadly I will be 20 this september so I wouldn't qualify for the course to be free and can't afford to do it which is why I'm so apprehensive.

HOWEVER, I have recently found that a few universities (including UCL, Kingston, Middlesex) offer intensive short courses which are foundation courses done over the summer months. They're pricey (UCLs is about £3000!) but it would mean you wouldn't have to take a year out, and with a years worth of travelling it works out roughly the same.
Reply 10
kat2pult
Very very true, however if you're prepared to be a bit flexible, there are some courses at the UAL that don't actually require a foundation course. I've applied for Graphic and Media Design (Design for Advertising) (ENF5) at the London College of Communication and they don't require one.

Sadly I will be 20 this september so I wouldn't qualify for the course to be free and can't afford to do it which is why I'm so apprehensive.

HOWEVER, I have recently found that a few universities (including UCL, Kingston, Middlesex) offer intensive short courses which are foundation courses done over the summer months. They're pricey (UCLs is about £3000!) but it would mean you wouldn't have to take a year out, and with a years worth of travelling it works out roughly the same.

Yes, there are many different routes and options that an applicant can consider, which is why it's important to undergo the necessary research before making a decision. If the finance is going to be an issue, seeking alternatives would be the solution.

For instance, it's not required to study an art foundation at UAL, you can study one at your local college (that is free) and gain entry to your chosen undergraduate degree. There's no rule that you must apply to CSM's foundation course to gain entry to CSM's undergraduate course, for example.

Edit: Mind you, when my course director asked all of us to announce what course we did prior to the undergraduate degree, almost everyone said they did the foundation at CSM itself, both national and international students (with a select few elsewhere, including myself). This is reflective of how much of an influence studying the art foundation can have. Many students set their heart on studying at their chosen institution and they realise that by studying an art foundation at the same place will exponentially enhance their chances.
Thanks everyone :smile:

and (") or whatever your name is sorry :s-smilie: camberwell is one of the places i want to do foundation. what did your sister say about it?

ALSO

I'll be 19 on august 31st 2010. will i get it free?
the foundation course fees ARE 'free' in the sense that if under 19 (from EU )on 31st august your LEA pays them for you or something, matisse i do not think it is a new thing, i think it has been in place for a while to promote foundation to students to bridge the gap between sixth form and university but as Katpult said it is only for foundation DIPLOMA, i could not agree more actually now i think about it katpult that it probably does work out more economically to do a foundation degree than to do the foundation course then degree if you are over 19 but do some universities not now ask for you even to have some sort of foundation year or access year to study a foundation degee?

Nadine if your situation is a tricky one, what time were you born, feign 11pm and you might get something. But seriously i think you may have to pay, since you will be 19 before the course actually starts anyway as they usually start September. Another thing to add is thast if you do not have a level 3 qualification (a levels, btec certificate, gnvq etc) and are under 19, in most cases you can still study free as well, i know plymouth college art do this but i am not sure about ual, i think they possibly do as well.
Reply 13
pollypockethadalocket
matisse i do not think it is a new thing, i think it has been in place for a while to promote foundation to students to bridge the gap between sixth form and university

I see, that's understandable. However, I don't believe the university is trying to promote foundation study in general, they are trying to promote their foundation courses. :tongue: - Many undergraduate art and design courses require an art foundation diploma before entry, so most applicants will need to have undergone one anyway, either at one of the colleges of the UAL or elsewhere.

The information does need to be better addressed about the free fees, though. Clearly many prospective students, such as Nadine, aren't aware of it.
that is so true actually, it is a way of universities 'creaming ' off the best talent by making a competetive environment with people feeling it is not suitable for them to just go to university straight away (so producing a higher level of work for entrance to the degree) and also people no longer feeling it is suitable to do the diploma locally and going from their home town to ual or other far afield art schools that are good but far from where they live. So the best schools are actualy probably benefiting most from this diploma, taking in lots of gifted students to have them exactley where they want them in preparation for degree. Also foundation fees used to be a few hundred for EU students so they keep going up every year. Imo they will have to introduce some sort of loan at some point if the fees go any higher because it just will not be possible for some people to do the course either because they are over 19 or rising living costs in London.
Reply 15
No financial help???? Oh no! Is this true for international students too? I would be entirely dependent on loans so if this is true, no school for me this year :frown:
As other people have said, it's free if you're under 19 on 31st August prior to the start of the course. Also, I'm not sure about the other colleges, but I'm starting the LCF foundation in a couple of weeks and we got sent a form you can use to apply for a bursary directly from the university- these are only about £1500 and there's only about 10 of them. Also worth pointing out that if you study under 16 hrs a week you can get jobseekers allowance (£50 a week), and as a foundation student you'll also get free overground and bus travel in London.
Reply 17
Nadine Shanahan
so ive just recently learnt you can't get a student loan for foundation :s-smilie: i'm applying next year for foundation at UAL in 2010 and a bit worried. Is it true the government pay for you fees? are there no bursurys or anything to help you?

Thanks

my boyfriend is doing a foundation year at keele and im planning to next year 2010! he has a student loan!! the course fees are the same as any other course! u can get student finance! go to gov.com student finance calculator and work out how much u will get x it even lets u select foundation year - y wud it let u if u cant get it! i promise u will get money through student finance the gov wont give it to one person doin a foundation yr at one uni and not the other x dont listen to ppl who arnt doin the course and dont know wat there on about x
Reply 18
If you are over the age limit for free tuition, or a mature age student, you may get a discount of up to 50% on the foundation course fees if you (or your family) are on a low income (the college will send you information on this prior to enrolment). you may also qualify for adult learning grant of up to £30 per week whilst you are studying. good luck!
Reply 19
I just called Student Finanace services and learned that if it's standalone foundation year, then there's no funding, however if it's part of the BA course then you are eligible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending