The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
terpineol
About as much as cutting cheese will.

Dissection is strangely fun if you are in the mood, and very rewarding if you are ontop of the work load to have prepared for it. (this is a very rare occurrence).

Terp
xx

couldnt have been better said
Reply 41
The thing with dissection is - its usually a one time thing once its been cut, fresher medics are rarely great surgeons, and as a result, if you don't see something the first time - theres a good chance it will have been destroyed or not in the right place. Which I would say is a advantage of prosection, but I still think dissection helps to visualise stuff on a body.
i guess dissection might make you actually pay some attention.... i tend to get our prosections out, gaze absently at them and put them away again :ninja:
bright star
i guess dissection might make you actually pay some attention.... i tend to get our prosections out, gaze absently at them and put them away again

Heya, long time no see :wavey:
Democracy
Heya, long time no see :wavey:

helloooo

how is you?? i'm enjoying my new computer. i've not had internet at home in like 6 months. i felt like a sad sap going into the library to use tsr....
bright star
helloooo

how is you?? i'm enjoying my new computer. i've not had internet at home in like 6 months. i felt like a sad sap going into the library to use tsr....

I'm fine thanks, under the stress of exams though :mad: Did everything regarding your OSCE(?) sort itself out? So long ago...
Democracy
I'm fine thanks, under the stress of exams though :mad: Did everything regarding your OSCE(?) sort itself out? So long ago...

yeah, i've suspended my year at uni to give myself some time to relax and save some money up. i never took my resit in the summer, i did it about 6 weeks ago, due the results any day now :eek3:
bright star
yeah, i've suspended my year at uni to give myself some time to relax and save some money up. i never took my resit in the summer, i did it about 6 weeks ago, due the results any day now

I see...well good luck with that, I hope all goes well :holmes:
It's valuable if you prepare (i.e. look at the material and study anatomical diagrams before the practical) as it really can put things into perspective. If, however, you have no clue what/where the superficial inguinal ring is then it can also be pretty embarrassing.
Reply 49
aMasterPieceOfDNA
It's valuable if you prepare (i.e. look at the material and study anatomical diagrams before the practical) as it really can put things into perspective. If, however, you have no clue what/where the superficial inguinal ring is then it can also be pretty embarrassing.
So in order to learn any anatomy from dissection you have to have learnt it before you start? Great...
Reply 50
Renal
So in order to learn any anatomy from dissection you have to have learnt it before you start? Great...

You can learn there and than (particulary if you enjoy education through humiliation) but with limited time available for each group it makes sence to get the basics from textbooks and use the time with the demonstrator to clarify finer points.
Reply 51
we do dissection....I thought it was really useful
lol why the hell would you trade that for prosection :/
Vazzyb

It's not like places where you dissect don't use prosection as well. We have a DR with about 40 cadavers in total, with hundreds of prosected specimens around the walls and arms and legs in tanks that you can take out at will. Add to that computer simulations and plastic models in the corner, and you have all bases covered.

I think dissection can only add to the experience of learning anatomy, and I'm very glad that it's the method that we used (in combination with prosection etc.)
Reply 53
Vazzyb

Well hypthetically suppose someone completly by accident cut the nerves you're supposed to be looking at....
Reply 54
Yeah but like SW said, schools which have dissection, also offer prosection so its ok.

The reason why I really liked dissection is because it gave a very good overall feel of how different 'areas' linked together rather than showing any particular structure very well - which is done well by books/prosections.
Yep. We do dissection and prosection. I think they both have their merits.. I wouldn't have wanted to be restricted to one or the other.

Latest

Trending

Trending