The Student Room Group

Beauchamp city sixth form

I've been researching all my college options and I am seriously considering BCSF. However, I was on the website and found that there is a set timetable where you have to stay for a full school day. Can anyone tell me what the expectations and daily routines are at the school? I'm concerned about the lack of independence compared to other schools (such as WQE).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I go to BCSF. They do give a timetable and it's different for people as to when they can stay and go home. If you don't have any lessons after lunch you can leave between 12:30 to 13:10. If you don't have any lessons after I think 14:00, then you can just leave at 14:00. However if you have to go to silent study as they make this a big thing, so it's treated like a proper lesson. Usually the routine is registration at 08:35, then break time at 10:30 then it finishes at 10:50 then it's lunch at 12:30-13:10 then its the end of the day at 14:50. The expectations are quite high, it's not really like being at a college where you're free to do your own thing it's more like high school in terms of how your treated. Also WHATEVER YOU DO don't forget to wear your lanyard the world depends on it! All in all it's an ok school, the teachers from my experience are good. But like you said there is for sure a lack of independence and if that's what you want then I don't suggest coming here, but if you need that extra push to excel and get the grades you want then come on over. If you have anymore questions I don't mind answering any :smile:
Hi, I'm a year 13 at WQE, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them
Original post by priyad31
Hi, I go to BCSF. They do give a timetable and it's different for people as to when they can stay and go home. If you don't have any lessons after lunch you can leave between 12:30 to 13:10. If you don't have any lessons after I think 14:00, then you can just leave at 14:00. However if you have to go to silent study as they make this a big thing, so it's treated like a proper lesson. Usually the routine is registration at 08:35, then break time at 10:30 then it finishes at 10:50 then it's lunch at 12:30-13:10 then its the end of the day at 14:50. The expectations are quite high, it's not really like being at a college where you're free to do your own thing it's more like high school in terms of how your treated. Also WHATEVER YOU DO don't forget to wear your lanyard the world depends on it! All in all it's an ok school, the teachers from my experience are good. But like you said there is for sure a lack of independence and if that's what you want then I don't suggest coming here, but if you need that extra push to excel and get the grades you want then come on over. If you have anymore questions I don't mind answering any :smile:

That's really helpful thank you. I think I'm going to choose BCSF but do you know if they give out conditional offers like other schools?
Original post by myow
Hi, I'm a year 13 at WQE, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them

Hi, I'm applying for Maths, Chemistry and Biology and would like to know how good the department is at WQE. Also would you recommend the school as a whole?
Original post by curiousstudent84
Hi, I'm applying for Maths, Chemistry and Biology and would like to know how good the department is at WQE. Also would you recommend the school as a whole?

I do bio chem and maths so this hopefully should answer your question fully.

1. BIOLOGY
the teachers are good and helpful, the practicals are well organised and we get to do dissections and prosections too
2. CHEMISTRY
most of the chemistry teachers are really good, they give you past paper questions for the topics which are so useful too. again practicals are good and we do as many as we can on our own (equipment permitting)
3. MATHS
one of my teachers was absent due to illness for about 12 lesson during year 12, it was only until after parent's complained that they got a supply. Before the supply, we just got a note of the door (annoying for people who travelled all the way to college for no lesson). They now do support sessions which are useful as one teacher can just help you on whatever you need

WQE online is really useful and should be used to the max, it has all sorts of resources, videos, past papers and questions for you to do.

If you're not sure what career you want, there are regular careers emails and opportunities for mock interviews and work experience.

because it is such a huge college, support for uni applications is limited. if you want help, ask for it.

Overall: you have to be self-motivated as you're definitely not spoon fed everything. The teaching is of a good standard and when you ask, the support is also very helpful

FYI: I've applied to medicine and got 1/4 offers so far

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask anymore questions :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by myow

1. BIOLOGY
the teachers are good and helpful, the practicals are well organised and we get to do dissections and prosections too
2. CHEMISTRY
most of the chemistry teachers are really good, they give you past paper questions for the topics which are so useful too. again practicals are good and we do as many as we can on our own (equipment permitting)
3. MATHS
one of my teachers was absent due to illness for about 12 lesson during year 12, it was only until after parent's complained that they got a supply. Before the supply, we just got a note of the door (annoying for people who travelled all the way to college for no lesson). They now do support sessions which are useful as one teacher can just help you on whatever you need

WQE online is really useful and should be used to the max, it has all sorts of resources, videos, past papers and questions for you to do.

If you're not sure what career you want, there are regular careers emails and opportunities for mock interviews and work experience.

because it is such a huge college, support for uni applications is limited. if you want help, ask for it.

Overall: you have to be self-motivated as you're definitely not spoon fed everything. The teaching is of a good standard and when you ask, the support is also very helpful

That's really helpful thanks. I'm also trying to get into medical school and I'm getting 9s in most subjects. However I didn't get a conditional offer from WQE and many others have. Does that mean they won't consider me?
That's really helpful thanks. I'm also trying to get into medical school and I'm getting 9s in most subjects. However I didn't get a conditional offer from WQE and many others have. Does that mean they won't consider me?

I think as long as you have surpassed the entry requirements for each subject (it definitely looks like you will) then you should be good to go. You could email WQE about that but really almost everyone gets in
Reply 8
That's really helpful thank you. I think I'm going to choose BCSF but do you know if they give out conditional offers like other schools?

That's alright. I think they do give conditional offers and normally are quite tight for the grade requirements for example if you were applying for chemistry with a 5 but to do chemistry you need a 6 so they wouldn't accept it. But don't worry if you don't get in the first time, I didn't get in the first time round then later on got a letter saying they've offered me a place. Hope this helps :smile:
That's alright. I think they do give conditional offers and normally are quite tight for the grade requirements for example if you were applying for chemistry with a 5 but to do chemistry you need a 6 so they wouldn't accept it. But don't worry if you don't get in the first time, I didn't get in the first time round then later on got a letter saying they've offered me a place. Hope this helps

Just wanted to update that they’ve given me a conditional offer and I think I’m going to accept!
Reply 10
Just wanted to update that they’ve given me a conditional offer and I think I’m going to accept!

that's great! Congratulations :smile:
that's great! Congratulations :smile:

Sorry to keep bugging you but which enrichment program do you recommend?
Reply 12
Sorry to keep bugging you but which enrichment program do you recommend?

no worries, I did EPQ, it does take a lot of time and effort I underestimated how long it actually takes. But if you do pick it then just make sure you like the topic and there's enough resources but the thing is you don't get an idea of what grade your at at any point you do get meeting with your supervisor and they can be helpful at times. I know a few people who took IFS and said it was easy I know a lot of people who got As so that could be a good option too. I think really it's up to you. If you're not taking maths and enjoy it core maths is a good option it's seen as quite easy for a few. If you like research, interviewing, essay writing, presenting then do EPQ. If you like finance, businessy, ecomic-related stuff then IFS might be a good option too. I don't know too much about the English one, I know some people say it's relatively easy. But there's a few options, if you're still not sure just email the school with questions or ask me and I can try my best to answer :smile:
I've been researching all my college options and I am seriously considering BCSF. However, I was on the website and found that there is a set timetable where you have to stay for a full school day. Can anyone tell me what the expectations and daily routines are at the school? I'm concerned about the lack of independence compared to other schools (such as WQE).

@hey-yo-its*me read them all xx
Hii I have a conditional offer at BCSF based on my gcse grades this year. I just wanted to ask, how good is beauchamp city? Do you think it is at the same standard as beauchamp college, or a little lower because it’s new?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by nonamehere
Hii I have a conditional offer at BCSF based on my gcse grades this year. I just wanted to ask, how good is beauchamp city? Do you think it is at the same standard as beauchamp college, or a little lower because it’s new?

hi, I preferred Beauchamp College as it was less strict. The standards at Beauchamp city are not low, I know someone who's grades were slipping a little and they got called in for meetings same goes for attendance they take everything quite seriously. Hope this helps a little.
Original post by username4245080

1. BIOLOGY
2. CHEMISTRY
3. MATHS

Hi, I am not OP but I am seriously considering WQE and I also plan on doing medicine. I want to do Math, Chem and Bio. I was just wondering, do you think that WQE was academically a good school in terms of those subjects, did it support you on your path to medicine? Do you think that your life would have been a bit more easier if you went to a school which was less independent? Also mind if i ask, were you able to go to the university you wanted to and did WQE somewhat help with that?
Sorry for the excess questions, don't have to answer if you don't want to,I don't know what to do aaaa. Thanks :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17

ive heard that wqe is very independent so it suits high achievers. as an average achiver at around grade 6-7, do you think the environment will help me improve?
Hi. any idea how good the computerscience deprtment at beauchamp college is ? i am contemplating between beauchamp college and beauchamp city. I am planning to take computerscience, maths and economics .

What did you study and also what did your timetable look like

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending