The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

American that wants UCL

hey guys im new here and thank god i found this forum. i need MAJOR help.From what i understand, overseas applications are being accepted until June 30th. so im gonna go through with it.

Anyway...with the space limitations of my late application, Im not an IB Diploma candidate, but i am going for 5 certificates. My GPA is a 3.1, because of my weak grades the first 2 years of high school, but i have performed well with the IB classes i took. IM sure my chances are LOW at most of these schools specially since i want to study biomedical sciences or Molecular sci., maybe something sciency, or history. With that info, do you guys know how i might do at those universities in admissions? And how do i send my transcripts, mid year report etc, do i send it directly to those universities? how does it work..im confused.

oh and my SAT's are weak...but its weird because i emaileed UCL about their cutoff of 1300, and they said :
" Your SAT scores are not recognised at UCL for entry. Should you offer perfect SAT scores, these would still not be recognised at UCL. There is therefore no need to enter into discussion about your SAT scores. "

im lost ..please help, i have little shot at an offer , right?
Reply 1
All apps to UK unversities must be made through UCAS. Check out their website, I'm sure you'll be able to find answers to your queries regarding applying from overseas. From my own experience, all I had to do was get an online account to fill in my personal statement (like a typical essay in US apps) and submit to my tutor who finished his recs and submitted it all to UCAS. Simple!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
You've given up on law then, lovemachine? :frown: That's a shame... ah well.

It must be nice to have such a choice of subjects, though.
Reply 3
Yes, you must apply through www.ucas.com. Ive heard of people who get into Biomedical Science with BCC grades at A level, or who get through in clearing. So you've probably got a chance. BUT, biomed courses aren't listen on UCAS extra (deadline for apllicants is in January. If the uni has any places left, they list them in Extra). So why dont you just e-mail UCL and ask them if they're still accepting applications from International Students?

History courses are probaly all full up, since its wuite popular.

Good Luck
Reply 4
Thanks guys. and yea im not applyign for law because i wont get it anywhere. i think Biomedica science sounds good? speciallt since it isnt as full..and i can take the info with me to med school.
Reply 5
I was applying to UCL for economics and what I did is send my transcript, and copies of sat and ap score reports to the department's admission tutor. Even internatioinal students have to use UCAS though, so I don't know if they will still accept an application for 05 entry.
Reply 6
UCL requirede SAT scores?
Reply 7
oh and how did you send the copies? did you just print it and send them? or did you have Collegeboard do so?
Reply 8
I'm not sure if it was mandatory or not as i just sent them everything I had (transcript, school profile etc). I didn't get an offer from UCL so I'm probably not the most reliable person to comment on their admission.
Overall, I have the impression that UK universities do not care much about SATs or overall average, compared to IB or APs that is (since APs are the closest substitute for A-levels here). I don’t really know how IB works but perhaps they will disregard your SAT scores if you have good IB results (maybe you shouldn’t even tell them about your SAT score if it’s lower than 1300 unless they ask).
Also, in the UK it really depends on the course you’re applying to; my sister got into a university that I was rejected from with an average 15 points lower than mine. (She did apply after 1 semester in university though, so maybe transferring or gap year could help you).

And yes, i just made copies of the reports that the college board gives you.
Reply 9
lovemachine
Thanks guys. and yea im not applyign for law because i wont get it anywhere. i think Biomedica science sounds good? speciallt since it isnt as full..and i can take the info with me to med school.

Aww, so you've given up law?

I understand your situation (I posted in your other thread too), but if you really are pressed for time, maybe you should also consider doing a gap year instead. Gap years are more common in the UK than in the US, and if you do a gap year, it would allow you not only to make a better informed choice for courses and unis (since you'll have more time to research and contact the unis), but also to be able to have a wider range of choices (since you don't have to *settle* just for those courses and/or unis which still have places available). From what I could gather from your post, you seem to be looking just at those courses and unis which still have places available. The thing is that courses and uni education in the UK are more specialized than they are in the US, so if you take up biomedical science, it would be better if you really wanted to study that subject, rather than just studying it simply because it still has places available at this time.

Of course, I don't know all of your interests, and it's very well possible that you have a genuine interest in biomedical science. If that's the case, then by all means, do apply. :smile:

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't feel ultra-pressured to find a place in uni right now, because you have another option: the gap year. Aside from what I've already said above, gap years can also allow you to prepare a stronger application. For example, during your gap year, you can undertake employment or an internship in the field you intend to study (e.g. biomedical science or law), which can show the unis you'll apply to that you're genuinely interested in the subject (which is what most of them look for anyway). A good work experience (and perhaps an additional reference from your employer/supervisor) may even offset a not-so-sterling academic record.

But this is just some friendly advice; it's all up to you. :smile: Whatever you choose to do, good luck! :smile:
Reply 10
^ thanks man. good advice, although i do feel pressed for time, its really Biology that im interested in over law. i am considering taking a gap year.
Reply 11
ok I'm from the US also. I had to take one year foundation course since I didnt get accepted to well known ones such as UCL...

Basically, if u r from the US, they dont recognise pretty much anything.. they counted my high school grades like a crap... i took college courses while i was in a high school and also APs and Honors. but it really didnt matter. Definitely, u need a high score in SATs and SAT IIs. Mine wasnt that great either so it didnt help.

I'm sorry but I doubt that you will be accepted to UCL. It's not easy for americans. It's either you got high score on SAT and SAT II (they count SAT 1300 as 1 A level grade) or you should look for a foundation course which gives you credits of A levels. But I think rather than going to some kinda community college or state school, it's better to spend one year recooperating and sign up for the schools that everyone dreams of.

My high school GPA was 3.7 by the way with AP chem, phys, eng. and plenty of honors... still i wasnt accepted.. since i had 1240 on SAT and avg of 500 in SAT IIs... I gave up my offer on Uni of Washington and came here. I was biomed also when I signed up for UW and lots of other unis including UCL.
Reply 12
^ thanks bro. i scrapped UCL anyway. they told me flat out in an email that i would be rejected.
Reply 13
shiz... that's harsh ... but u got long life to live. cheer up~
Reply 14
yea...i mean, i was kinda like...thats messed up. but i knew i had no shot to begin with..so its all good :smile:?
Reply 15
lovemachine
^ thanks bro. i scrapped UCL anyway. they told me flat out in an email that i would be rejected.

:redface: Harsh. :frown:

Oh well. But at least they were straight with you so that you wouldn't waste your time. Good luck with the other unis! :smile:
Reply 16
^^ true , aand thanks!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending