The Student Room Group

The offical 'OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY NHS BURSARY' thread

Scroll to see replies

jessewessy1990
I didn't realise I had to wait for the NHS stuff before applying to Student Finance :frown: I really want to be organised and get it sorted out before I start revising for my June exams :frown:

You can apply and send the forms to them, but it won't be fully processed until the evidence has been sent to them too. :frown:
help needed about the bursary stuff.

i want to appy to the degree (because degrees are awsome:smile: ), i live with my parents and our household income is £50,000. even though we have a big household income my parent will not help fund my time at uni so technically speaking i have nothing. so...

1. will i be able to get a student loan? should i?

2. how much (if any) of a nhs bursary would i get?

3. will the nhs still pay my tuition fees?

thanks
ballerinabetty
help needed about the bursary stuff.

i want to appy to the degree (because degrees are awsome:smile: ), i live with my parents and our household income is £50,000. even though we have a big household income my parent will not help fund my time at uni so technically speaking i have nothing. so...

1. will i be able to get a student loan? should i?

2. how much (if any) of a nhs bursary would i get?

3. will the nhs still pay my tuition fees?

thanks

1. You will be able to receive a student loan, but will get the 50% reduction if you can get an NHS Bursary (This also means that the loan is non-income assessed, so it doesn't matter whether your parents are contributing or not).

2. As the NHS Bursary is income assessed for degree courses, it depends. Try using the NHS Bursary Calculator to see what amount you would (theoretically) be entitled to.

3. If you doing a Allied Health/Nursing course, then your tuition fees should be paid for by the NHS. It should specify that on your firm choice's course page.

What course are you applying for?
Can I apply for the diploma bursary without my student ID number?
How do I get it?
Do I need to call the university to chase it up?

when do i need to panic?

How long once you've sent the form off does it take to get the money? are they bad in delays like studend loans?
im scared ill start my course and have no money
Cannonball
How do I get it?

when do i need to panic?

How long once you've sent the form off does it take to get the money? are they bad in delays like studend loans?

you can apply for a diploma without it, if you ring up NHS bursarys SOMETIMES they'll give you the ID, but its WAYYY too soon to be applying, so wait for nottingham to sort it out!!!!!

I'd start panicing the last 2 weeks of august, with diploma it's very straight forward, money comes in 2 weeks when you start, and you get 2 months worth, you will start the course and have no money- but you'll get the bursary 2 weeks in
Cannonball
How do I get it?

when do i need to panic?

When are you starting your course?

I was told by the Uni that without that number I couldnt apply for the bursary so needed to keep it safe. So give your Uni a ring and ask if they can send it again.

I sent my forms off about 6 weeks ago and got a letter last week explaining i'd get £3,000 something until September(because my course starts in March)
and that i'd get the first 2 month payments after 10 days of starting the course because they need to know that you have enrolled first.

Try not to panic! It'll be fine!:smile:
PhoenixFortune
1. You will be able to receive a student loan, but will get the 50% reduction if you can get an NHS Bursary (This also means that the loan is non-income assessed, so it doesn't matter whether your parents are contributing or not).

2. As the NHS Bursary is income assessed for degree courses, it depends. Try using the NHS Bursary Calculator to see what amount you would (theoretically) be entitled to.

3. If you doing a Allied Health/Nursing course, then your tuition fees should be paid for by the NHS. It should specify that on your firm choice's course page.

What course are you applying for?

adult nursing BSc
Holamigo
When are you starting your course?

I was told by the Uni that without that number I couldnt apply for the bursary so needed to keep it safe. So give your Uni a ring and ask if they can send it again.

I sent my forms off about 6 weeks ago and got a letter last week explaining i'd get £3,000 something until September(because my course starts in March)
and that i'd get the first 2 month payments after 10 days of starting the course because they need to know that you have enrolled first.

Try not to panic! It'll be fine!:smile:

September

when should i expect the student number from my uni?

BTW, is it just the bursary forms you do or do you also have to do the normal student fiance/loans thing aswell? Like, do they need to have my details? I'm doing diploma
Cannonball
September

BTW, is it just the bursary forms you do or do you also have to do the normal student fiance/loans thing aswell? Like, do they need to have my details? I'm doing diploma

The NHS will to be sent the details of the September intake by the universities and you should receive your student number in May(ish).

You can also apply to Student Finance England (online or on paper) for a half loan (you won't be entitled to an income assessed loan or a grant because you get an NHS bursary).

The NHS diploma bursary is non-income assessed, just in case you didn't know.
Cannonball
September

I got my student number about 2 months before i'm about to start my course then the bursary forms came about a week or so after that.

If your doing the diploma you get the full non-means tested bursary so you wont need to contact student finance regarding a loan. So no, they don't need to have your details. :smile:

I've got a copy of my form and these are the sort of things you have to fill in;
student number, personal details(name, address, number, National insurance)
Your nationality, places you have lived within the 3 years before the course, educational history, UK employment history, name of your course and Uni, if you'll be living at parents home or not. Last of all you just put your bank account details down. Then sign.

Its quite a simple form really nothing like student finance forms!!
thanks guys x
Hey guys, I need some advice! After many talks with my parents about money/accomodation, I have no idea what to do. I don't think I fully thought this through when applying to uni. Anyway, basically i've applied for the diploma and I want to move away, but with the diploma I can't get a student loan (that is right I think?) so my bursary will have to go on my rent. I'm starting to worry about how i'm going to afford uni, can I pay my rent and still live off my bursary each month; will it be enough? My parents have advised me to go to the uni closest to home and commute there, however I want to move away to my first choice uni.

I'm going to be working full time once I finish college and save up as much as possible. But will my bursary be enough to cover everything? Or should I have applied for degree, which makes me entitled to the loans?
starryeyed.
Hey guys, I need some advice! After many talks with my parents about money/accomodation, I have no idea what to do. I don't think I fully thought this through when applying to uni. Anyway, basically i've applied for the diploma and I want to move away, but with the diploma I can't get a student loan (that is right I think?) so my bursary will have to go on my rent. I'm starting to worry about how i'm going to afford uni, can I pay my rent and still live off my bursary each month; will it be enough? My parents have advised me to go to the uni closest to home and commute there, however I want to move away to my first choice uni.

I'm going to be working full time once I finish college and save up as much as possible. But will my bursary be enough to cover everything? Or should I have applied for degree, which makes me entitled to the loans?

Use the NHS Bursary Calculator to work out whether you can afford your rent and living costs.
Hey I looked at the NHS means-tested bursary forms today, and they ask for your expected expences for the next academic year, why do they ask this? I thought it was entirley done on your parents income?
If they think you can live on less do they give you less?

cheer
AC
Hey, I need help with the bursary. I am hopefully doing the graduate diploma in Nursing, so would expect to get the bursary and no loan, as it is a DipHE. Would I get the full amount (£7000+) for living in London as it is a 2-year course?

Also, I have dual nationality, I was born in England but I lived abroad for a few years and moved back in 2005, I have an EU passport and a British birth certificate. Do you know if it's a problem to be dual nationality?
I am going to do an adult nursing degree in september.

I realise i will be gettin the £6000 odd non means tested bursary.

However i was wondering will i still be able to claim Assembly Learning grant

Also will i still be able to get a maintenance loan aswell as the bursary

OR is all i can get the bursary?
Reply 116
Can anyone help me??
I am from Northern Ireland and want to find out about the nursing bursary.
I have never received EMA or anything from school because my parents income was too high. Will I get the bursary ?? :s-smilie:
Hey, I apologise if someone has already asked this.

My lecturers have told me that I can reapply for my bursary now, but on the website the form that I need to print off says for academic year 2009 - 2010.

Does anyone know where I can apply for the academic 2010 - 2011?

Bethaniee
Hey, I apologise if someone has already asked this.

My lecturers have told me that I can reapply for my bursary now, but on the website the form that I need to print off says for academic year 2009 - 2010.

Does anyone know where I can apply for the academic 2010 - 2011?

You don't need to apply that early. Just apply a month - 6 weeks before your course starts, you should get a letter off your accepted University.
Jenni-xo
Can anyone help me??
I am from Northern Ireland and want to find out about the nursing bursary.
I have never received EMA or anything from school because my parents income was too high. Will I get the bursary ?? :s-smilie:

Yeah you will get the full bursary if you are doing the diploma because it's non-means tested - (so they wont look at what your parents earn.) However if your doing the degree, it is means tested.

You need to check if this is any difference in Northern Ireland though. Because I know where i live(wales) you get the non-means tested bursary for degree & diploma.
Just found this :

non-means tested bursary, which will be rolled out in Northern Ireland in 2011, with the rest of the UK following suit by 2013.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending