The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
el_guapo
to the current yorkers: I've noticed that the campus does not allow cars where do students park?

There are car parks on campus. If you can justify the £25/wk parking fees (admittedly it was only £15 in my first year). The downside of having a University on green belt, I guess.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Campus car parks are all pay and display, with a few exceptions. Halifax College has its own car park, as does Fairfax House.

There is also a small area of free parking near the Science Park, which usually fills up by 7:50 AM.
Reply 3
visited york couple of days ago and realised this problem. well sure as hell won't be paying! is halifax and fairfax free?
7:50am very precise! I'll give it a go! if not its going to be heslington and a long walk
Reply 4
I believe the off-campus parking you need a permit for (I believe it's £60/year or something), but obviously you can only get them if you live in that accommodation though. You can also get an on-campus parking permit if you can prove you need it (disability, or whatever).

The University actively discourage students bringing their cars to campus; I left mine at home for first year and was no worse off for it.
Reply 5
well that off-campus parking quote doesnt seem so bad cheers mate. I can understand the uni wanting to discourage cars- don't suppose they have the space for a few thousand on campus.
I need to work and have a few ventures that will need a car for. public transport will not cut it I'm afraid no matter how frequent the uni bus calls! well will have to sort something out when I get there then.
Reply 6
I worked at Monks Cross for first and second years (about 3 miles away) and cycled it no problem. York's pretty easy to get around without a car, and even further afield due to the awesome rail links.
Reply 7
+1 for cycling. York's very well served with bike lanes (and in one instance, even a bike T-junction). Driving into the city centre is a nightmare due to all the narrow roads, one-way systems and the FTR frequently getting in your way. And there's certainly no shortage of bike parking on campus.

If you desperately need your car then the best you can do is pick Halifax as your first choice and Fairfax as your second, explain politely in your accommodation form why and hope for the best.
Reply 8
thanks for replies. I will probably get a bike as well to save on bills etc but need my car as well. Still need to look into accomodation so not so familar with all the colleges
Reply 9
Halifax and Fairfax House (which is actually part of Vanbrugh) are situated slightly off campus, hence have their own car parks. I think there might be a few parking spaces near Bleachfields (also Vanbrugh) available too.
Reply 10
cheers dez. vanbrugh seems a bit old school from the pics that I have seem but have not looked around it yet. i'm just guessing but your not a mature student but I have been out of education for 4 years and got used to a lot of things however I wouldnt want to be on the suburbs of campus- it would be nice to be where all the activity is.
Reply 11
el_guapo
cheers dez. vanbrugh seems a bit old school from the pics that I have seem but have not looked around it yet. i'm just guessing but your not a mature student but I have been out of education for 4 years and got used to a lot of things however I wouldnt want to be on the suburbs of campus- it would be nice to be where all the activity is.

Most of Vanbrugh is about 2 years old. And unfortunately you won't be able to live in the centre of campus and have a student parking permit, you either have to live off campus with accommodation that has car parking, or live on campus and not have a car, or park it on one of the surrounding residential roads - iirc Dez, the car parking near Bleachfields is council "2 hours short stay only", and is strictly enforced, I've seen a fair few tickets on cars walking down there.
Depending on where you live, there are places you could park the car whilst you are living on campus. For example, I lived in Alcuin, and the road opposite Alcuin containing the Science Park is available for parking. It's this or pay £5 per day to park in the pay and display. I managed to use my car during the Summer term by keeping it there. I would however, note that this area is used by nearly ALL those who work in the Science park, and competition for spaces is very high. Once you've parked I wouldn't move the car unless you are going to come back and park after 5pm.

I am not so sure about Derwent and Vanburgh etc, but I guess the closest you could get would be parking in the residential areas near Uni, like 5-10 minutes walk.
Reply 13
Cool thanks bigforehead. Did you live in the new Alcuin big cos that don't look too bad goin by lasers pics. Parking in the science park would not be a big deal as long as can get in early and leave late after 5 as you say.
by saying the residential areas I take it you mean heslington?
also do the science staff work at weekends?

cheers - Matt
Hi Matt,

Yeah, Alcuin is the best college by far, especially in terms of accomodation. I lived in Alcuin F block from 2007-2008. All the rooms are reasonably sized and en-suite, mostly including showers, but some have baths instead. Definetely in terms of quality though, the best accomodation blocks. Also, the Quad area (green area which is in the middle of the blocks) also provides a good community feel in the Summer, and I hear they've just installed a BBQ pit :biggrin:

Parking, yeah I found the science park the easiest. Parking in the pay and display is a bit ****** up to be honest, it's free from 6pm, until midnight. And yes, the parking wardens are *****, and will get you. I normally pay if I drive on to campus, and the only time I didn't pay and display I came off £50 worse. So unless you wanna find yourself moving the car at midnight I would just park in the Science Park.. Generally dont expect to find a space between 8am and 5pm though Monday to Friday there .

When it comes to residential areas, Heslington doesn't provide a lot of parking either. Most of the high street is red-route or short-stay parking only, I wouldn't advise keeping a car there. There are some options for parking though in places slightly further afield though, such as Badger Hill, Thief Lane/Newland Park area. There are always a fair few spaces there.

I think some Science staff work at weekends, some do not. But at weekends I wouldn't be as rigid with moving the car etc. You should be fine to get a space during Sat/Sunday.

If you've got any more questions either bout parking or Alcuin/York in general then just feel free to drop me a PM or whatever. :smile:
Reply 15
Excellent, some quality advice thanks mate. I will be going up to york again at some point but got a feeling its going to be Alcuin.
Also sent you a PM for a question don't really wanna post in forum.
Ok, well I am waiting for that at the moment lol. :smile: But will reply when I have the chance to lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending