The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

minimo
Not particularly funny. :vmad:

Oh come on, lighten up a bit. You're not even there yet.
Reply 341
It was this part that irritated me.
"We don’t need that much cash to buy that particular continent, I think we can afford it without doing anything so crass as to take the building apart. There is no question at all; Trinity will keep its money.Students can sleep soundly knowing that their walls are worth more than the GNP of the developing world

The authors have an odd sense of humour as far as I am concerned. I'm not sure if they realise how terrible life in a developing country can be. Or perhaps they just don't care.
Reply 342
minimo

The authors have an odd sense of humour as far as I am concerned. I'm not sure if they realise how terrible life in a developing country can be. Or perhaps they just don't care.

They probably certainly don't know, though I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't care. I wouldn't take it too seriously - it's from a college magazine, which is student written and tends to be very jokey/lighthearted, often mocking other colleges without any harmful intent - we have articles on stuff like having a revolution to reclaim King's chapel, tourist hunting, and Downing being razed to the ground by freak buffalo stampedes! It's not a serious article in any way.
Reply 343
minimo

I agree. It's written with poor taste. Even if it's a student written publication, there surely must be some boundaries on what they can and what they cannot write?
Reply 344
soonalvin
I agree. It's written with poor taste. Even if it's a student written publication, there surely must be some boundaries on what they can and what they cannot write?

Only occasionally - we're not allowed to mention any fellows/academics/lecturers by name in it, and obviously if anyone is personally offended (i.e. they're treated unfairly in an article) then they'll apologise, but stuff like what has just been printed is really not an issue. It's mocking how rich Trinity is, not how poor developing countries are, and none of it is true, so I honestly don't see the harm. Maybe I've been reading too much Clareification. :redface:
Reply 345
Helenia
It's mocking how rich Trinity, is, not how poor developing countries are, and none of it is true, so I honestly don't see the harm.

That was what I thought.
Reply 346
Helenia
They probably certainly don't know, though I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't care. I wouldn't take it too seriously - it's from a college magazine, which is student written and tends to be very jokey/lighthearted, often mocking other colleges without any harmful intent - we have articles on stuff like having a revolution to reclaim King's chapel, tourist hunting, and Downing being razed to the ground by freak buffalo stampedes! It's not a serious article in any way.

I think that the stuff you wrote about here was funny eg Downing etc...just felt that the developing countries part was a bit much and pretty insenitive. If it was directed mainly at mocking Trinity's richness...then that's fine, but perhaps they could argue their point slightly differently in the future. :smile:
Reply 347
minimo
I think that the stuff you wrote about here was funny eg Downing etc...just felt that the developing countries part was a bit much and pretty insenitive. If it was directed mainly at mocking Trinity's richness...then that's fine, but perhaps they could argue their point slightly differently in the future. :smile:

It's not an argument though - it's just a joke. It's not really insulting anybody is it?
Reply 348
No I don't find it insulting...just a joke perhaps a bit in bad taste (and I'm only concerned with the developing countries - the rest is fine.)
Reply 349
We're students...we have NO taste.
Reply 350
JaF
That was what I thought.

:dito: :confused:
Reply 351
Helenia
We're students...we have NO taste.

Lol! I suppose I didn't get their joke though the Clareification tourist hunting thing does sound very funny! :biggrin:
Reply 352
This thread's getting terribly boring and whiny. Guys, lighten up, enjoy uni, stop worrying about how many pieces of furniture will be in your room and whether you're going to offend developing nations with your college choice (I might add defending them against jokes in poor taste does far less good than actually helping them). Thousands of people go to uni every year and they don't all sit on an internet forum asking for tiny details of what to expect there. Nothing scary will happen. I did no research defore I applied, a small amount before I arrived and I still do very little research into changes in my course/exam reports etc.; life's fun when you actually live it instead of planning how it'll all go. Chill.
Reply 353
I am chilled! But I want furniture anyway...
You did ask for questions about uni life....!
And you did willingly come on the forum since November 2004 so probs best to not note that "1000's of students" apparently sensibly "don't all sit...asking for tiny details of what to expect"! I agree lightening up is fabulous (and a good idea in this context) but as far as living life instead of planning how it'll all go I'm waiting for results and have little else to do except have a nice old plan about it all in case I don't actually get there! No offence to you, I'm sure you're a good member and we've all appreciated the advice but.....you chill too k? :smile:
Reply 354
PSEnglish
I am chilled! But I want furniture anyway...
You did ask for questions about uni life....!
And you did willingly come on the forum since November 2004 so probs best to not note that "1000's of students" apparently sensibly "don't all sit...asking for tiny details of what to expect"! I agree lightening up is fabulous (and a good idea in this context) but as far as living life instead of planning how it'll all go I'm waiting for results and have little else to do except have a nice old plan about it all in case I don't actually get there! No offence to you, I'm sure you're a good member and we've all appreciated the advice but.....you chill too k? :smile:

Well you'll get furniture. You said yourself it'll vary between buildings so we won't know any better than you what you're going to get save for what common sense tells us. I imagine they'll be so generous as to give you a bed and they probably want you to do some work so a desk might be in order...

I know I wanted to help people with questions about uni life but asking what furniture you're going to get hardly qualifies as insider information, it's pretty certain you'll get a bed, bedside table, wardrobe, bookcase, desk, chair (you usually get a coffee table and arm chairs as well depending how big your room is- that's something maybe you wouldn't have guessed). But you're not allowed to bring furniture with you so it stands to reason that they'll give you everything you need.

Not quite sure what your allusion to my participation on this site since November has to do with anything, but nevermind.

I'm perfectly chilled thank you for your concern.
Reply 355
puppy
But you're not allowed to bring furniture with you

Does a mirror count as furniture though? Like, a large tabletop one or a stand up one?
Reply 356
I don't advise asking.....
Reply 357
Adhsur
Does a mirror count as furniture though? Like, a large tabletop one or a stand up one?

with most things like these, just use your common sense!
Reply 358
Adhsur

You will get a mirror in your room of some description no matter where you end up. Guaranteed.
Personally, I asked housekeeping about getting a full length one because I was fed up walking up two flights of stairs just to make sure I didn't look like a tramp.
The rule comes from fire regulations, fairly obviously, but they said that a mirror was hardly the kind of thing they were concerned about - its more things like wooden tables and computer chairs that don't necessarily conform to college fire regulations.
I don't know about trinity in particular, but there being no bedders at newnham means nobody will know about the mirror i have in here, even if it is "illegal" (which it's not, but anyway)

hope that helps...kind of... :confused:
Reply 359
Adhsur

Trinity are really tight about stuff like that, they will count a large mirror as furniture and you will need the Junior Bursar's permission to bring it. However, if you fix one to the wall then it doesn't count as it's then not a piece of furniture.

I wouldn't bother bringing one, see how you get on without one first and what kind of mirrors there are in and around your room. I'd advise a small mirror (like a shaving one or whatever they're called) for makeup as you may find your mirror isn't lit as you'd like it. I survived all year with no full length mirrors anywhere near me despite looking in one about every 15 minutes at home.

Latest

Trending

Trending