The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I did the GCSE last year, I don't think it is true that you have to get 90% to get an A, coz I got an A* I thought I did really rubbish!

Just looked at the grade boundaries for past years, and it's around 88% to get and A* and about 80% to get an A :smile: But it all depends on the year :smile:

Writing was my worst one too, basically just learn loads of vocab as the first sections is about writing a list or filling in the gaps. Then for the last 2 sections, practice writing random letters and essays on random topics, because my Chinese teacher always set us random stuff like that and our exam ended up having a really similar question!

Good luckkkkkkk :biggrin:
Reply 2
I'll have a chow mein please
Reply 3
Personally I found the paper relatively easy but I didn't get the top grade which doesn't corroborate with how I found the paper! In fact, I had my worst grade in my Chinese GCSE!
I agree with you, I find listening and reading easier than writing which I assumed I lost most of my marks in! I had an A, which I'm please with.
I've got my Reading/Listening in Chinese tomorrow, and I'm only one of two people from my school doing it! Plus, it's the same day as my prom. :biggrin:

It's a little late, but does anyone have any revision websites or resources?
Reply 5
I will have number 17 23 and 47 please

Make sure I get extra sweet and sour sauce
Reply 7
Seeing the title of this thread made me want a chinese (takeaway)
:frown:
lolhenry
ah its a time to be screwed, for me anyway :smile:. anyway, im doing the 3 skill gcse, and ive just heard that you need 90% for an A, so basicly im scrwed, im pretty confident in reading/listening, but when it comes to writing i really cant write, any help anyone?

Yeah, I did the 3 skilled one last year and I felt exactly the same as you. My writing was by far the worse out of the 3 skills (thank God I didn't have to do speaking- that would have been almost as bad), and I feared that it was going to drag my grade down. Luckily, it didn't in the end, but I got a little lucky with the last question on the writing paper as it was about writing an essay about the place you live e.g. what the environment's like, what there was to do, whether you liked it or not.....etc and that was within my comfort zone. I understand that the format and assessment of GCSE Chinese has changed as of 2009, so I don't know how relevant this is. However, all I can say is make sure you learn most, if not all of the core vocabulary and practise constructing a range of sentences, using simple and complex sentences with connectives and also, try to practise incorporating the vocabulary that you've learned into those sentences. If you practise and practise over again, then you're sure to do well. Good luck!
Reply 9
I'm doing my Listening and reading assessment tomorrow, and the writing assessment on Wednesday, and I don't go to Chinese school, or revised much, so I'm pretty much screwed. Listening and reading I can do in a matter of minutes, but I haven't been preacticing writing for a long time now so I'm very, very rusty.
Reply 10
lolhenry
ah its a time to be screwed, for me anyway :smile:. anyway, im doing the 3 skill gcse, and ive just heard that you need 90% for an A, so basicly im scrwed, im pretty confident in reading/listening, but when it comes to writing i really cant write, any help anyone?

do u mean u want to learn chinese?i can help with your writing....and anything lol
Reply 11
i thought it would be almost impossible to get an A* because the majority of people that take it are actually chinese. Anyone else found this because i turned down doing mandarin in favour of German?
acm345
i thought it would be almost impossible to get an A* because the majority of people that take it are actually chinese. Anyone else found this because i turned down doing mandarin in favour of German?

Mmmm....I never thought that the grade boundaries for GCSE Chinese were subjective and dependent on candidates' performances in those exams. I knew that they fluctuated for most other subjects, but didn't think that they were applicable to Chinese given that it is a home language which is only really offered to native Chinese, so the majority of candidates are bound to score highly on them every year, so I was under the impression that the grade boundaries never really changed (or else, they'd have to raise it to the point that, to get an A*, you'd need to attain full marks :eek: )? Also, if you're native Chinese, then getting an A* is far from impossible - OK, that may have changed as of this year :p: - and I've heard of many people who have achieved an A* in Chinese.

Latest