The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Marshmellow.
Only other possibilities are Roger and just the Littleuns in general.

I've completely forgotten what you do for the questions.. :mad:

Discuss themes, the language used and Golding's own beliefs on society.
SpriteOrSevenUp
same!! in my opinion he's quite a boring character to write about.

And he's one of the strange inbetweeny characters. At least Simon's almost solidly good and Jack is almost solidly savage. :woo:
SpriteOrSevenUp
Discuss themes, the language used and Golding's own beliefs on society.

e.g. Discuss the importance of Jack within novel.

Make a point of the main events he's involved with, talk about how it's described, why this is important etc?
Marshmellow.
e.g. Discuss the importance of Jack within novel.

Make a point of the main events he's involved with, talk about how it's described, why this is important etc?

yeah and what Golding is trying to say about society in that certain scenario!
Reply 24
Marshmellow.
Only other possibilities are Roger, Simon and just the Littleuns in general.

I've completely forgotten what you do for the questions.. :mad:

will they have Simon again though because he came up in 2008 :confused:
roosel

I didn't know that so that's extremely unlikey!

I'm gonna have a look at what's come up in the past few years then.. It's a rule that they have to bring each thing up at least once every 6/7 years :p:
Reply 26
roosel

i hope so, huge amounts!

does anyone know what it means when we are told to talk about structure and form?
SpriteOrSevenUp
yeah and what Golding is trying to say about society in that certain scenario!

How many points should you make?
hiyaguys
i hope so, huge amounts!

does anyone know what it means when we are told to talk about structure and form?

As far as I'm aware you can't in LOTF :p:
Structure and form includes language right? (If I'm wrong I'm sorry, its been a few years since I sat the exam!)

The language of the boys deteriorates as the novel progresses to show the breakdown of civilisation between them. At the start of the novel, the young boys are named “small boys,” however this soon changes to “little’uns,” then “littl’uns” and then to “littluns.” This is also shown with the naming of the twins Sam and Eric. At the start of the novel when Piggy asks for everyone’s names, the twins are introduced as “Sam and Eric,” this changes throughout the novel to “Sam’n Eric” to “Samneric.” Percival Wemys Madison, on of the “littluns”, gradually forgets his name and address. When the naval officer finds them, he has forgotten it completely. And most notably is the change in Jack’s name throughout the novel. At the beginning he is known as “Merridew,” which would have been what he was called at school, this soon becomes “Jack,” then “Chief,” when he makes his own group. His followers who were originally the school choir become his “hunters,” then his “tribe” and are eventually seen as “savages,” having lost their individual identity.
ALso, what about the beast and the evil protrayed in the book? The evil that plagues the boys is within themselves, something which Simon figures out in the eighth chapter when he has a fit and talks to the Lord of The Flies.
“Fancy thinking that the beast was something that you could hunt and kill… You knew didn’t you? I’m part of you? Close, close, close! I am the reason why it’s no-go? Why things are the way they are?”
In the novel, the “beast” takes on three forms marking three stages in the book in which the boys all change. Golding uses the boys’ fear of a mythical beast to illustrate their assumption that evil arises from external forces rather than from themselves. The “beast” is conveyed in three different stages to not only show the development of the beast, but of the boys as well. The beast initially takes form in their imaginations as a snake-type animal that disguises itself as jungle vines. The second stage shows the beast as possible a creature that rises from the sea or maybe a ghost. When they spot the dead paratrooper who has landed on the mountain, the boys feel sure that they have proof of a beast’s existence. While a beast does roam the island it is not in the form the boys imagine. It is in fact within themselves, something that they can not deny and what they eventually succumb to.

When I did my GCSE on it the wuestion I wrote was about Jack but the other question which had an extract was about the beast I think.
does anybody know how many points are enough? (for an A*, assuming they're good points of course :p:) Our teacher said 4, but I normally only have time for 3, considering 5-10 of the 45 minutes is planning, I'm very bad at writing concisely :s-smilie:
i really hope it's ralph/piggy. if not, i'm screwed
XDaydreamer
does anybody know how many points are enough? (for an A*, assuming they're good points of course :p:) Our teacher said 4, but I normally only have time for 3, considering 5-10 of the 45 minutes is planning, I'm very bad at writing concisely :s-smilie:

I have that problem to. I make my point, back it up, explain it but then explain it more because I feel as if I haven't explained it :p:

Three points should be fine as long as you refer back to the question etc and do a super conclusion tying it all together with the historical context, that's what takes you from the A :smile:
Reply 34
For Ralph would you write about how his character deteriorates through the book...like as he gets more nervous, then loses power, then is being hunted by Jack etc.?
IIRC Piggy's rhetorical questions are important but I couldn't quite expand on that point. At the time we did this I was happy if I could understand half of the words in the book.
Nandos
For Ralph would you write about how his character deteriorates through the book...like as he gets more nervous, then loses power, then is being hunted by Jack etc.?

With regards to his importance or how Golding presents him?:p:
Marshmellow.
I have that problem to. I make my point, back it up, explain it but then explain it more because I feel as if I haven't explained it :p:

Three points should be fine as long as you refer back to the question etc and do a super conclusion tying it all together with the historical context, that's what takes you from the A :smile:

oh good, thanks :smile: 3 repetitive over-explained points it is then :p:
yeah our teacher has been going on about historical context loads, I think it is the best way of making sure you get an A*
XDaydreamer
oh good, thanks :smile: 3 repetitive over-explained points it is then :p:
yeah our teacher has been going on about historical context loads, I think it is the best way of making sure you get an A*

It sure is. :p:

We were taught to think of it like a trifle:

Cream: What happens (Central points)
Custard: How Golding shows this (How he expresses themes etc - Language etc. & the fun they get from being savage)
Cake: Why Golding does this (man kind's essential illness, historical context)

The cream would be a D/C, Custard B possibly an A, Cake A* :smile:
Reply 39
Haha, we're just told to use PEE (Point, Evidence, Explain)

With regards to his importance or how Golding presents him?

Yes, basically a question about his character.

And..oohh!! I have loads of possible exam questions for the ones without the extracts (the easy ones?)

A the end of the novel the Naval Officer says, "I know. Jolly good show. Like the Coral Island." Why did Golding choose to end the novel with such a mistaken view?

How does Golding use the 'beast' in the novel as a whole?

At the end of Ch 5, Ralph asks for "something grownup...a sign or something." What do you think is the significance of the "world of grown ups" at this point in the story, and in the novel as a whole?

Explain what went wrong on the island and why, in order to bring out what you think Golding has to say about how societies operate.

Ralph is changed by his experiences on the island. How does Golding show this?

Although the reader's sympathies are usually with Ralph, many of the boys decide to follow Jack. Explain what you think are the differences in what Jack and Ralph stand for and in how they behave in the novel.

Why did Golding call his novel 'Lord of the Flies'?

What do you think Golding has to say about civilisation and civilised behaviour in the novel?

What do you think Golding has to say about human nature in the novel, and how does he convey these ideas to you?

Write about one or more of the following as they are presented in the novel: Violence and savagery, Children and adults, How leaders gain power, Loyalty and trust, Meetings and rituals.

Ralph said, "Things are breaking up. I don't understand why. We began well. We were happy." Explain what went wrong and why. You may choose to examine each of Ralph's four short statements if you wish.

Write about the importance of the conch in 'Lord of the Flies' and in the importance of any two from the following list: Masks, Piggy's glasses, The fire, The parachutist, The pig's head.

Show how Golding creates a world of increasing violence in the novel, by considering all or some of the following: The characters themselves, the setting of the novel, the behaviour of the characters, the way the author works out his theme.

I did type that all out so forgive me if there are any mistakes! By the way if you are worried, you will do well as long as your revise these main themes of the poems, and know the parts in the novel related to them:

Leaders

Civilised Behaviour

Evil in every person

Heroes/Villains

Characters and their importance

The beginning of the novel

The end of the novel

The only one I found hard initially was the one about the Naval officer, luckily our teacher has done a plan for that essay...if anybody wants it I will scan it :p:

Good luck :woo:

Latest