The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
deeznutztatseguuuud
Id probably say the country 'Niger'.

And I will agree. Either there, or Chad.
Reply 81
Spain is known to be racist. Just check their Olympic pictures.
Lyoto Machida
I said near leeds. It was a crappy little town called garforth, and this was 10 years ago before the current wave of immigration really hit the place.

garforth is hardly 'white trash'
Reply 83
Lyoto Machida
I've have been to a number of different countries and personally I think certain parts of the UK have been the most racist.

Being asian I have experienced hostility from the majority from a young age. When I was a kid I lived in a little white trash village near leeds where although I was accepted I was still treated differently. Some of the kids treated me a different way while the teachers all used to patronise me to the extreme.

I live in a much more diverse part of manchester now so I experience virtually nothing like that now.

But I have been all around the UK, all the major cities in england are fine but I have experienced hostility when I go camping or surfing around devon and certain parts of cornwall but buy far the worst was when I went to Scotalnd. Edinburgh was particularly bad, where I was called a 'paki' to my face twice when I went on nights out. Second time I had had enough I was in a bar and luckily I had a few drinks so when he confronted me I just smashed a glass in his face and got the hell outta their. In my mind we were even - he verbally assaulted me so I assaulted him back. He had it coming anyway, you can just picture the type - chavvy, arrogant, skinhead...he deserved it imo.

Apart from that I have been to spain, amsterdam, saudi arabia, pakistan where I have felt at home and never experienced any form of discrimination.

I have also been to hawaii, the natives there are very hostile towards outsiders, specifically whites who they call 'haole', but because i am brown they were generally cool with me. Apparently a lot of places there is hell for caucasians, esp. americans. Not that I think it's ok to treat others differently. Racism of any form is bad.

Anyone else had any experiences?

can i just point out that the term white trash could be considered racist
the OP should go to somewhere like Russia if they think the UK is bad.
Is Scotland really racist as people are saying? I am finiding it hard to believe because I want to go there for univeristy :frown:
Italy. Look at Berlusconi and all the laws he's passing.
Reply 87
InvoluntarySlacker
Is Scotland really racist as people are saying? I am finiding it hard to believe because I want to go there for univeristy :frown:

I don't want to give a biased opinion, but you should read this before you go -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7826264.stm

all I can say is, if you do go, stick to the campus like a fish to water.
Reply 88
Lyoto Machida
I've have been to a number of different countries and personally I think certain parts of the UK have been the most racist.

Being asian I have experienced hostility from the majority from a young age. When I was a kid I lived in a little white trash village near leeds where although I was accepted I was still treated differently. Some of the kids treated me a different way while the teachers all used to patronise me to the extreme.

I live in a much more diverse part of manchester now so I experience virtually nothing like that now.

But I have been all around the UK, all the major cities in england are fine but I have experienced hostility when I go camping or surfing around devon and certain parts of cornwall but buy far the worst was when I went to Scotalnd. Edinburgh was particularly bad, where I was called a 'paki' to my face twice when I went on nights out. Second time I had had enough I was in a bar and luckily I had a few drinks so when he confronted me I just smashed a glass in his face and got the hell outta their. In my mind we were even - he verbally assaulted me so I assaulted him back. He had it coming anyway, you can just picture the type - chavvy, arrogant, skinhead...he deserved it imo.

Apart from that I have been to spain, amsterdam, saudi arabia, pakistan where I have felt at home and never experienced any form of discrimination.

I have also been to hawaii, the natives there are very hostile towards outsiders, specifically whites who they call 'haole', but because i am brown they were generally cool with me. Apparently a lot of places there is hell for caucasians, esp. americans. Not that I think it's ok to treat others differently. Racism of any form is bad.

Anyone else had any experiences?

Pointing fingers a bit aren't we? I'll tell you, a country as much as a person that is without sin shall cast the first stone.
How many of us have been to a good 200 or so countries around the world? How can you just make assumptions about the state of the rest of the world from the outside. And anyway, it depends, is this just about the people being racist? There are governments being racist.

Just start listing ones that are committing genocide or something... but don't have the at the VERY top of the list - the more racist ones are probably the ones that do it without being found out.
Reply 90
A Global Human Rights organisation, not sure which one runs a twice-a-decade survey of social and political attitudes around the world -- which asked people how they would feel about living next to: People of different ethnicities, Muslims, Jews, immigrants or foreign workers, and homosexuals.

The most prejudiced countries in the year 2000 survey were:

1.Northern Ireland - 44% of population saying they wouldnt be happy living next dorr to one of the above groups.

2.Greece - 43.2%

3.Italy - 37.6%

The least bigoted nations were dominated by Scandinavian countries: Sweden (13.4%), the Netherlands (17.2%), Iceland (18.4%), Canada (21.5%), Denmark (21.9%).

Although these nations have lower levels of prejudice, I put the point that perhaps these countries don't suffer the same influx level of eastern european/asian and often illegal immigrants that Britain and other western countries do.
I'm black-chinese but have never been discriminated against because people can never work out what race i am..therefore not knowing what racist name to call me :smile:
i have been called a chigger before though :mad:
Reply 93
JMorrison
A Global Human Rights organisation, not sure which one runs a twice-a-decade survey of social and political attitudes around the world -- which asked people how they would feel about living next to: People of different ethnicities, Muslims, Jews, immigrants or foreign workers, and homosexuals.

The most prejudiced countries in the year 2000 survey were:

1.Northern Ireland - 44% of population saying they wouldnt be happy living next dorr to one of the above groups.

2.Greece - 43.2%

3.Italy - 37.6%

The least bigoted nations were dominated by Scandinavian countries: Sweden (13.4%), the Netherlands (17.2%), Iceland (18.4%), Canada (21.5%), Denmark (21.9%).

Although these nations have lower levels of prejudice, I put the point that perhaps these countries don't suffer the same influx level of eastern european/asian and often illegal immigrants that Britain and other western countries do.

All nations are biggoted.

This is why we cannot differentiate beteen one nation and another. Atleast, here in the UK, the death penalty is overuled as being unjust. How many nations have blood on their hands becuase of pety death? I remember reading not long ago a woman was stoned to death in the far east... What is the world coming to (or has arrived at), if groups of people can join together and kill another human being? As much as it may be hypocritical to the nature of the offense, America too has much explaining to be made on humanitarian rights.
Lyoto Machida
I don't want to give a biased opinion, but you should read this before you go -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7826264.stm

all I can say is, if you do go, stick to the campus like a fish to water.

Lol. I am not afraid of a drunk guy. I want to make friends while in uni and it would be hard if everyone was racist. I always welcome a fight especially drunks since its so much easier.
All countries have racist groups...even if not intentionally racist its basically a part of human nature to be afraid/suspicious of unfamiliar things including culture, religion, practices, colour of skin, etc and this often manifests in racism. Obviously Im not saying racism is ok.

Being Indian myself, I havent experienced much racism although I do live in an area of the South East with a lot of ethnic minorities. Visiting places like Cornwall I've not come across outright racism but have recieved looks that I would say are a mixture of curiosity/hostility...because people in those areas are just not used to different races.

Much of the racism I have observed in Britain e.g. Jade Goody to Shilpa Shetty I would just call a lack of education and pig ignorance as opposed to outright racism. Not that this excuses any of it but it just proves that people have a long way to go to overcome their prejudices.
Reply 96
Feral Beast
When I went to Moscow we went shopping and this group of black people walked past and the locals just stopped dead in their tracks and stared at them, some were talking amongst themselves and laughing at them, it was quite weird / uncomfortable.

Yes, there are gangs in Russia that will actually kill people [or at least beat every different kind of **** out of them] just because they're not white :woo:
I think Scotland, England and Spain are the most racist countries i've ever been too. England in 3rd Place, Scotland 2nd Place and Spain 1st place. Racism occurs everywhere though unless you live in a country is predominantly 99% of one race e.g most countries in Africa.

London is probably the most accepting place in the UK tbh, racism still happens but there is a wide variety of races here that is just doesn't happen as often as other places. Obviously I'm just stating this from experience so give or take.
Reply 98
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
i have been called a chigger before though :mad:

What the hell is a chigger :confused: ??? :eek: :eek: :eek:
humz2
What the hell is a chigger :confused: ??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

a "chink" and a "ni**er" mixed. :|. referring to my race.

Latest

Trending

Trending