The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I would so love immigration! I always end up spending to muh time on the Civil Rights movement questions.

And perthshire...yep, tis the happenin' place to beee!
Reply 41
could anyone explain to me the rowntree and booth reports, relating to the liberal governments, and to what you can write about in an essay regarding this.
It's just, that this is more than likely to be the Liberal question this year, if there happens to be one, if it follows the pattern:

2005: Booth/Rowntree reports
2006: Poverty, and the old, young e.t.c
2007: Booth/Rowntree reports
2008: Poverty, and the old, young e.t.c

I am condifent in the other essay relating to the liberals, relating to the changes relating to the old, the young, the sick, the employed, the unemployed, and how there were still some ways in which the problems these groups faced were not fully corrected
Quick question about historiography: is it always necessary, or can it be omitted if you have plenty of examples and explanation? I'm doing Medieval, and I'm finding it difficult to find historians' views on things like Henry II.
Spider Pig
Quick question about historiography: is it always necessary, or can it be omitted if you have plenty of examples and explanation? I'm doing Medieval, and I'm finding it difficult to find historians' views on things like Henry II.

My teacher told our class it is acceptable not to have historiography but you will NOT get an A if there is none. You can still get a good B though.
xandertho
My teacher told our class it is acceptable not to have historiography but you will NOT get an A if there is none. You can still get a good B though.

Ok. I'll try to find some more, as I have it for some of my topics but others I have none. Any advice on how to extract good historiography?
Reply 45
ryan92
could anyone explain to me the rowntree and booth reports, relating to the liberal governments, and to what you can write about in an essay regarding this.

I am condifent in the other essay relating to the liberals, relating to the changes relating to the old, the young, the sick, the employed, the unemployed, and how there were still some ways in which the problems these groups faced were not fully corrected

I'll see if I can help,

Take for example the 2005 question "How far were the reports on Booth and Rowntree responsible for the Liberal Social Reforms of 1906-1914?"

You would say in your intro about how the reports on poverty by Booth and Rowntree were fairly important in pushing the Liberals into making social reofrms but there were other reasons which you'd then go on to list in the intro - these reasons could be for National Security purposes (After 1899 war in S Africa gov. was shocked to see 25% of the volunteers were rejected for being in poor health = Interdepartmental Commitee on Physical deterioration created they reported on poor conditions and recommended free school meals and medical examination. When liberals got into power in 1906 these were among the first of their reforms), the threat from the Labour government and increasing trade union activities, people were unfit to work and that decreased national efficiency. Then you'D obviously Go onto talk about each in more depth and what reforms were intro'd as a result.

Actually I think it may be easier to summise all the liberal reforms in a paragraph of their own rather than talking about what caused what which could get a bit confusing. Or you might not even need to identify them at all.......I dunno I'm really hoping not to do a question like that....its an eeevill question. MON THE LABOUR REEFORRMS!

If you'd like more info on those reasons pm me and i'll gladly help - but I hope that helped anyways!!
Reply 46
Thanks.... but I think I'll send you a pm :smile:
I love the other type, to do with the different groups they focussed on- scored 17/20 in the prelim for that essay!
Are essays deffo marked out of 20? My teacher was marking them out of this and somewhere on the 2006 paper it said out of 25. Confused me to say the least!
Reply 48
ryan92
Thanks.... but I think I'll send you a pm :smile:
I love the other type, to do with the different groups they focussed on- scored 17/20 in the prelim for that essay!

Ooh well done! I don't really like the liberal reforms but that's probably seeing as I had to swap history classes and ended up not really being taught about it all.

Have PM'd you back!
Essays used to be marked out of 25 but in the last few years it's been out of 20. Source questions are worth 30 marks, your 2 essays combined are worth 40 and the extended essay is 30, totalling at 100 overall. The cut off for an A has been around 68/100 consistently for the last couple of years :smile:
Reply 50
xandertho
Are essays deffo marked out of 20? My teacher was marking them out of this and somewhere on the 2006 paper it said out of 25. Confused me to say the least!

I'm fairly certain they are as all mine have been marked out of 20 including the prelim. Maybe in 2006 they were marked out of 25...
I was looking at the SQA marking instructions online earlier, and 2008 was the first year essays were marked out of 20. So this is only the second year of 20 marks instead of 25.
Cooool =) I thought it had changed, should have checked the SQA website myself I suppose! Cheers though (Y) Any one else bricking it? Ahhhh!
Reply 53
Anyone else here doing Cold War for the document topic?
Reply 54
Yeah I think the marks for the essays are out of 20 each...making it 40 for the essays.

Extended Essay is out of 30 I think?

And so are the source questions.

Kinda sounds like it.

Man I'm dreading this :frown: Working all weekend as well.
Reply 55
blaugrana
Anyone else here doing Cold War for the document topic?

Mee!:hello: Havn't heard of hardly anyone else who does though
Reply 56
Yeh, seems most people do other things.

It's so hard to remember what happened in each different Eastern Bloc country, as most have similar stories.
Reply 57
Does anyone know anywhere on the internet I can revise a bit more about urbanisation, as bitesize doesn't seem to have anything...
Do you need page numbers for quotes in your essays?
_summer09_
Do you need page numbers for quotes in your essays?

I shouldn't think so. Do you even need quotes? I did not use any las year and still got an A.

Latest

Trending

Trending