The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best Fudge Kitchen: Jim Garrahy's Fudge Kitchen
Reply 2
Best place to buy smellies: Lush, full stop.
Reply 3
Best Hot Chocolate I've ever tasted: Pret a Manger but you have to ask with a "pretty please"
Reply 4
Willa
Best Hot Chocolate I've ever tasted: Pret a Manger but you have to ask with a "pretty please"

what otherwise its not so nice?
Reply 5
well Savino's, which is for some reason I dont understand, considered to be quite good among the student population. I personally find them to be overpriced for pretty average food. Their hot chocolate is far too bitter as well

I dunno what it is about pret's hot chocolate, it's just the yummiest!

Oh also....

Best light entertainment: Footlights smokers (Clare comedy gets a close second)
Reply 6
Wicked this is the information that nobody tells you and could take you three years to find out.

Ok how about cheap booze and really good food... say if i was wanting to impress?
Reply 7
Cheapest booze in town (we're talking regular prices): Emmanuel College bar.

Best quick Chinese in town: Dojo's

Best quick indian in town: Curry king (well it might not be the best but it's popular with students)

Best fast food at 2am: Gardies (or van of life/van of death if you're a little shy of cash)

Best fancy but not too pricey: The amazing pizza express on Jesus Lane

Best fancy: just walk up towards magdelene bridge, loads of cool restaurants there...although I've only tried one so far: chez gerrad....which was yummy!
I also wanna try the new american diner style place they've got but i bet it's pricey!
pizza express in cambridge! ohh brilliant brilliant
Reply 9
Simone de Beauv
pizza express in cambridge! ohh brilliant brilliant

there used to be 3, now there is only 2! still seems excessive number for such a small place, but then again the jesus lane is quite fancy and so normally v busy!
Willa

Ooh, I love Pret a Manger! - - and this is a good idea for a thread! :smile:
Reply 11
Jesus Lane... oh thats going to be my address *excited*.
Reply 12
White_redrose
Ooh, I love Pret a Manger! - - and this is a good idea for a thread! :smile:

well keep them coming and i can offer up my limited advice. but if we both love pret then our taste in other things should match to an extent
what's pret a manager? iv never heard of that before
Reply 14
JHutcher
Wicked this is the information that nobody tells you and could take you three years to find out.

Ok how about cheap booze and really good food... say if i was wanting to impress?

I know I wasn't going to post here but I gotta butt in if it's food.

Van of Life (accept nothing else)

Best restaurant if you want to impress is Midsummer House, it has 2 Michelin Stars. That's not even that expensive. There's plenty of other good restaurants if you know where to look, get a restaurant guide if you're really into food.

Cheapest booze is either Wetherspoons or go to Sainsburys and buy what's on offer. The Wine Merchants offers 10% discount rising to 20% if you correctly answer a trivia question
Reply 15
Simone de Beauv

:rolleyes: its a nice urban-professional sandwich/coffee/whatever they can knock up bar thingy... loads of them in London (as in every corner) but never bloody open.
Reply 16
Simone de Beauv

it's a coffee and food chain like caffe nero and starbucks. The difference is they are very fussy about using organic high quality food, and they make sure it's all fresh (they make all the sandwiches and stuff fresh in store, they bring them out all throughout the day so you know it's gonna be yummy). And the staff are always really friendly....they seem like they genuinely enjoy their jobs. The price you pay is obviously it being a tad more expensive than other places, but it's still my favourite place out of all those similar cafe type places.
Reply 17
Simone de Beauv

Pret is lifebood....it's a shame its in the centre and so far away from me :frown: :frown: (almost lived on it at one point and damn it was worth it), but their 'All Day Breakfast' sandwiches and banana cake are manna from the Gods....

Very sloaney but fantastic cocktails at La Raza....there's a really cool but tiny coffee shop on the same road as the Corpus Playhouse that I really liked for studenty/intellectual-coffee moments as well as the Clown Cafe near Jesus....don't know if they're the best in Cambridge, but I liked what I saw of them :smile:
Reply 18
puppy

Cheapest booze is either Wetherspoons or go to Sainsburys and buy what's on offer. The Wine Merchants offers 10% discount rising to 20% if you correctly answer a trivia question

Clare bar (and probably other colleges) is cheaper than spoons for the most part (special offers aside) and isn't as ming. For town pubs, the Castle (Castle Hill, not Regent Street), the Pickerel, the Rat and Parrot, are good (though the latter is a bit expensive).

I quite like Ask as a restaurant (on Bridge Street) but there are a couple of other similar Italian-style places. I've never been to this Midsummer House place, where is it?
Reply 19
midsummer house is on the river if i remember correctly...near the boat houses

Latest

Trending

Trending