The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
http://img40.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=008umw.jpg

That should take you to a place with them all... if not tell us and I'll do them individually.
Davey_SMFC
http://img40.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=008umw.jpg

That should take you to a place with them all... if not tell us and I'll do them individually.

Thanks thats fantastic.

repped.
Reply 62
abstraction98
Thanks thats fantastic.

repped.

Repped?
Davey_SMFC
Repped?

I gave you reputation :smile:
I probably shouldn't be doing this but **** it. If you are in need of physics notes or content statements etc. you can use our school's abernet moodle site:

http://www.abernet.org.uk/Moodle/login/index.php

Username: abstraction98
password: seek0seek [different to my tsr one don't worry]

Try to logout after you're done as I'm not sure it allows more than one instance of the same user on at once. Enjoy, :smile:

DISCLAIMER: A few weeks ago apparently someone hacked the site and it was trying to install viruses. Despite this, I have been on it all day and everythings fine.
Reply 65
2007 6b ii
Explain please! In the right hand rule, is force the first finger or thumb? I understand if it the first finger but i seem to have it as the thumb in my notes =s

6d ii aswell?!
missyq
2007 6b ii
Explain please! In the right hand rule, is force the first finger or thumb? I understand if it the first finger but i seem to have it as the thumb in my notes =s

6d ii aswell?!

It's the thumb.
Remember by THumb (THrust/force), First finger (Field), seCond finger (Current).
Alternatively remember by FBI: F(Force), B(Magnetic field), I(Current) on your thumb, first and second fingers.

For 6dii visualise using the grip rules.
missyq
2007 6b ii

6d ii aswell?!

Thumb - Force
First finger - Magnetic field (North to South)
Middle finger - Current

Left hand positive, right hand negative

Around the wire is a circular field. If you think about it, at equal distances from the wire there will be equal induction so you get a circular/cylindrical shape. Use the right hand with thumb in direction of current.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/magnetic/magcur.html
I quite like that FBI mnemonic, shall be remembering that :p:
ukdragon37
It's the thumb.
Remember by THumb (THrust/force), First finger (Field), seCond finger (Current).
Alternatively remember by FBI: F(Force), B(Magnetic field), I(Current) on your thumb, first and second fingers.

For 6dii visualise using the grip rules.

Blatent case of silly '**** how do we make it possible to remember this'

"
1) Well theres TH in thumb - oh yeh so thrust so force, great

2) First finger - dam thats difficult err two f's sooooooooo field, thats sort of magnetic yeh"

3) Dam, this ones even harder, errrr......well...it has a c so errr...current.

"
abstraction98

"

2) First finger - dam thats difficult err two f's sooooooooo field, thats sort of magnetic yeh"

"

That's why I prefer FBI myself :p: much less ambiguous
ukdragon37
That's why I prefer FBI myself :p: much less ambiguous

If you are going to remember the letters and how they correspond, why not just remember it straight off? :p:
abstraction98

"

"

Silly crap works for some people, in SG for chemistry I learnt methane, ethane, pentane... etc with "many enigmatic possums breathe pure hydrogen" :p: Of course it didn't take long just to know them, but I still remember it!
Meteorshower
Silly crap works for some people, in SG for chemistry I learnt methane, ethane, pentane... etc with "many enigmatic possums breathe pure hydrogen" :p: Of course it didn't take long just to know them, but I still remember it!

I can just remember stuff like that. Although I get stuck when I get to 11 (in chemistry terms that is).
Meteorshower

Propane comes before pentane, your mnemonic fail :p:
abstraction98
I can just remember stuff like that. Although I get stuck when I get to 11 (in chemistry terms that is).

I'm far better with memory now, It's cool when someone asks "what's the mass of the earth" or something like that and you can just reel it off :cool:
ukdragon37
Propane comes before pentane, your mnemonic fail :p:

Thank god chemistry is ages away :p:
Reply 77
Methane, Ethane, Propane :redface:

I use the FBI myself - The other one was the one I was told but it was rubbish...FBI makes more sense to me!

And you get reputation on this site! Brilliant haha.
Reply 78
FBI sounds much better than the way we were taught:

Forefinger = Field
sEcond finger = Electron flow
thumb = force (because it's big)

I will definitely use FBI.
Now it's just the rest of the course...
OK I have a question. For 2007 question 8 part bi, I can't understand why they just use the normal mass of the electron and don't require the relativistic mass in the answers. V is >0.1c.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Latest

Trending

Trending