The Student Room Group

First ever job!

So, as stated in the title I am going for my first ever job!
I have handed CV'S etc.. out before but never been successful as I live in a town with all independent shops who aren't loooking to hire- but today I rang around once more and also a local shopping centre and New look, superdrug and mcdonalds all told me they were interested and hiring and to bring in a CV tomorrow (and with mcdonalds, to apply online).
I am SO excited right now!

I was just wondering, do any of you work in either of these places, and if so could you perhaps tell me about working there and what the pay/flexibility is like?
I'd be looking to work part-time (8-12 hours) during term time, and full time over the holidays.

Any advice etc? Thankyou!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I work for Somerfield..well it's turning into a Waitrose over the next few weeks. Pay varies..around minimum wages (for different age groups) but like I get the top-age-range minimum wage (I'm 18) and have done since I was 16.
Most are quite flexible.

Just be yourself, I'm sure you're more than capable to work with the kind of people that work there full-time. (My interview was literally: "your Ben?" "yup." "can you fill this in?" "ok" "you free next thrursday for an induction (watch videos and store walk)" "yup" "thanks for coming in" "no probs").
Reply 2
I got in even before you could say I GOT A JOB. Because not many waiters are trained in Sliver Service. Well, "Sliver Service", only did training for it for like 3 days, P.S- first job as well.
i work at mcdonalds, easy to get in and stay aslong as you are willing to work hard and show that you want the job. Nice place to work as you generally find them to be full of uni students or people around your own age at college etc so everyone is easy to talk to.
Easy to get extra shifts when necessary or change shifts if needed as the rota varies from week to week so you get to mix with different people each shift.
Good luck.

PS McD's was my first proper job (3 weeks doing paper round prior) and i've been there almost 7 months now and still enjoy it so don't worry
Reply 4
TheKingLivesOn
i work at mcdonalds, easy to get in and stay aslong as you are willing to work hard and show that you want the job. Nice place to work as you generally find them to be full of uni students or people around your own age at college etc so everyone is easy to talk to.
Easy to get extra shifts when necessary or change shifts if needed as the rota varies from week to week so you get to mix with different people each shift.
Good luck.

PS McD's was my first proper job (3 weeks doing paper round prior) and i've been there almost 7 months now and still enjoy it so don't worry

Yay thankyou so much!
How many hours do you do per week?
Also, I applied online for a crew member position or whatever they're called- any idea how long it'll be before I hear back?

I have to say I am most impressed with Mcdonalds as it's so systematic in that they're so organised and have really been so helpful and by far the best! :yep:
Rattlebag
Yay thankyou so much!
How many hours do you do per week?
Also, I applied online for a crew member position or whatever they're called- any idea how long it'll be before I hear back?

I have to say I am most impressed with Mcdonalds as it's so systematic in that they're so organised and have really been so helpful and by far the best! :yep:

normally do about 12-14 hours but am currently just doing like 7 due to exams, which was easy to sort out.

Depends on the restaurant you applied to, i think i heard back after about 2 weeks but i have heard of some getting called the next day and some others taking as long as 3 weeks
Reply 6
TheKingLivesOn
normally do about 12-14 hours but am currently just doing like 7 due to exams, which was easy to sort out.

Depends on the restaurant you applied to, i think i heard back after about 2 weeks but i have heard of some getting called the next day and some others taking as long as 3 weeks

Oh wow, thankyou so much for all of your help.
I have one more question, I applied to be a crew member as oppose to a hospitality staff because it said i'd have to clean toilets, and even though the pay is like £1 less per hour, that's my nightmare. I'm happy cleaning tables, cooking appliances etc.. but not toilets.
Does being crew mean i'll be behind the till necessarily? That's what I really want to do!
Rattlebag
Oh wow, thankyou so much for all of your help.
I have one more question, I applied to be a crew member as oppose to a hospitality staff because it said i'd have to clean toilets, and even though the pay is like £1 less per hour, that's my nightmare. I'm happy cleaning tables, cooking appliances etc.. but not toilets.
Does being crew mean i'll be behind the till necessarily? That's what I really want to do!

being crew member you will either be till, kitchen, or dining area....but this does not mean you won't have to clean toilets.
you will have to clean no matter which area you are in, so for dining area the toilets will be one of your duties.
but depending on your restaurant you may be in different areas from time to time as they train you .
Hope this helps.
I'm another McDs worker, well I just started the other week! I'm a customer care assistant (hospitality staff), it's REALLY not as bad as you think! I haven't cleaned toilets yet, I just "check" them. Basically pick up paper and stuff on the floor. The crew members either work in the kitchen, drive-through or behind the tills. I haven't seen any in the dining area yet-what work do they do in there?

Anyway, I think McDonalds really isn't that bad to work in! You definitely get a lot of flexibility with shifts. It's especially handy because you check your shifts, book holidays, book in for extra shifts etc. online. The social aspect is also good, as it mainly is young people, and everyone I've worked with so far is nice! My work also has regular work night outs, and they're considering planning a day out to Blackpool or something because the takings are good.

Oh, the staff discount as well! That's very good, 30% off o2, for Pay as You Go phones and contracts. There's money off driving lessons as well, as well as discounts in loads of places. I think you'll definitely get treated better somewhere like McDs because they are a big business, compared to independent shops, with regards to building up holiday time and all that.
My application wasn't quite "walk in, got the job" but it wasn't too testing. There were a lot of questions, explain a time when you've had to work as part of a team, describe a time when someone complained to you about something and how you dealt with it etc. etc. But nothing out of the ordinary! Then an On Job Evaluation, but because quite a few people were getting interviewed for the job it was quite quick. I was just walking round the dining area for like ten minutes, and chatting to people really!

Lastly (this is a long post, I should get commission for getting McDs new staff or something :P), I know crew members get paid less, but there are times when your wage while go up. There are people that come in, I think like once a month, who are like mystery shoppers. They mark, well, everything, basically, and if the restaurant does well, they get a bonus. I don't know whether this is the case with all McDs, but at ours it means everyone who worked the shift that the GAPbusters (that's what they're called) come in, gets an extra 50p an hour added onto their wages for the next two weeks- which doesn't sound a lot but I'm sure it'd soon add up if you were working a lot! I think they come in about once a month.

Mmm, if you have any more questions let me know and I'll be happy to help, as a first job new starter. :wink: Good luck with your application, let us know how you get on!
Reply 9
MySweetheartTheDrunk
I'm another McDs worker, well I just started the other week! I'm a customer care assistant (hospitality staff), it's REALLY not as bad as you think! I haven't cleaned toilets yet, I just "check" them. Basically pick up paper and stuff on the floor. The crew members either work in the kitchen, drive-through or behind the tills. I haven't seen any in the dining area yet-what work do they do in there?

Anyway, I think McDonalds really isn't that bad to work in! You definitely get a lot of flexibility with shifts. It's especially handy because you check your shifts, book holidays, book in for extra shifts etc. online. The social aspect is also good, as it mainly is young people, and everyone I've worked with so far is nice! My work also has regular work night outs, and they're considering planning a day out to Blackpool or something because the takings are good.

Oh, the staff discount as well! That's very good, 30% off o2, for Pay as You Go phones and contracts. There's money off driving lessons as well, as well as discounts in loads of places. I think you'll definitely get treated better somewhere like McDs because they are a big business, compared to independent shops, with regards to building up holiday time and all that.
My application wasn't quite "walk in, got the job" but it wasn't too testing. There were a lot of questions, explain a time when you've had to work as part of a team, describe a time when someone complained to you about something and how you dealt with it etc. etc. But nothing out of the ordinary! Then an On Job Evaluation, but because quite a few people were getting interviewed for the job it was quite quick. I was just walking round the dining area for like ten minutes, and chatting to people really!

Lastly (this is a long post, I should get commission for getting McDs new staff or something :P), I know crew members get paid less, but there are times when your wage while go up. There are people that come in, I think like once a month, who are like mystery shoppers. They mark, well, everything, basically, and if the restaurant does well, they get a bonus. I don't know whether this is the case with all McDs, but at ours it means everyone who worked the shift that the GAPbusters (that's what they're called) come in, gets an extra 50p an hour added onto their wages for the next two weeks- which doesn't sound a lot but I'm sure it'd soon add up if you were working a lot! I think they come in about once a month.

Mmm, if you have any more questions let me know and I'll be happy to help, as a first job new starter. :wink: Good luck with your application, let us know how you get on!

I am officially your biggest fan, lmao- thankyou SO much!
I am actually so excited, it's pathetic! I keep logging onto the mcdonalds website to see if there has been any chance in my application process- it's still on "recieved" so fingers crossed!
I was stuck deciding whether to apply for hospitality staff/crew member but the hospitality staff is much better payed but I really fancy working on the tills- so so much!
I really wasn't aware there was a possibility i'd be cooking lmao! Oh god :P

I SOOO want to work on the tills!
Also, I applied yesterday- do you think I'd make a good impression to ring them and let them now i'd applied and let them know i'd be really flexible with my hours or should I just leave it and wait to hear?

Also, I have never heard of these mystery shoppers, but it sounds fun! I am extremely polite/friendly anyway so I'd love that, lmao!
Would my wages go up from £4.35 per hour them assuming I got the job?
I'm so nervous, I wish I knew!!
Reply 10
lella_m
I thought it was £4.80 an hour for crew members? :o:

I think it is for those who are 18, but I am just 17 so it's less.
Bad times!:eek3:
Reply 11

Ive applied for customer care assistent yesterday and ive received this today

Thanks for applying for the position of Customer care asst

We’ve got a rigorous selection process at McDonald’s and on this occasion, after careful consideration, we’re sorry to inform you that we will not be inviting you to attend the next stage of the recruitment process.

It’s part of our policy that we don’t give out specific reasons why an individual has not been successful, but we thank you for your interest and wish you every success in the future.

Kind regards,

McDonald’s Recruitment Team

Is this a no ?? ive applied again 5 min ago. do i break policy or something ?
Rattlebag
I am officially your biggest fan, lmao- thankyou SO much!
I am actually so excited, it's pathetic! I keep logging onto the mcdonalds website to see if there has been any chance in my application process- it's still on "recieved" so fingers crossed!
I was stuck deciding whether to apply for hospitality staff/crew member but the hospitality staff is much better payed but I really fancy working on the tills- so so much!
I really wasn't aware there was a possibility i'd be cooking lmao! Oh god :P

I SOOO want to work on the tills!
Also, I applied yesterday- do you think I'd make a good impression to ring them and let them now i'd applied and let them know i'd be really flexible with my hours or should I just leave it and wait to hear?

Also, I have never heard of these mystery shoppers, but it sounds fun! I am extremely polite/friendly anyway so I'd love that, lmao!
Would my wages go up from £4.35 per hour them assuming I got the job?
I'm so nervous, I wish I knew!!

Haha, you'll get an email and phone call and/or text when you've been offered an interview or anything :smile: Haha, cooking will be fineee, it'll probably be quite a good laugh! You'll probably find you'll do a bit of both, although the general thing that seems to happen (which obviously McDonald's won't admit, and perhaps isn't true in all restaurants) is that the good looking people are at the tills, particularly the girls, haha! Nahh there probably is a fairer way of deciding who works where, but that seems to be what I've observed, and what people seem to say!

Do you know anyone who works in the restaurant you've applied to? I had a friend who worked there, he mentioned to the manager that I'd put in an application, asked him to look out for it and put in a good word for me. So perhaps consider seeking out any friends or acquaintances you know who work there? That worked for me! I personally wouldn't phone up if you just applied yesterday, but maybe after about a week if you haven't heard anything I'd give them a call.

Well, the mystery shoppers mark all aspects of the service, but being polite and friendly definitely helps! Yeah, it would go up to £4.85 an hour (I think, I haven't experienced them yet but this is what they told me at my welcome meeting), but only for the two weeks after the mystery shoppers come in, it's not a permanent thing, and only if the restaurant finish in the top ten marks (I'm not sure how many restaurants are marked so not sure how difficult it is to get into the top ten! Although where I work has been in it like the past 9 times out of 10 I think I was told, so it can't be TOO rare to get in.)

Btw, the hospitality staff bit is a lot of interacting with customers as well, if that's what appeals you to working behind the tills. I was told it's far more important to create a good impression by being friendly and talkative than it is to keep the place clean (although obviously I need to!). I'm pretty much paid to just chat to people a lot of the time, which is not too bad at all! Apparently you get to know customers who come in regularly and stuff. It can be quite a sociable and fun position, and it really isn't all dirty work, mostly cleaning tables and collecting trays! You could maybe consider applying if you don't get the crew member position. :smile:
Kevin02

Ive applied for customer care assistent yesterday and ive received this today

Thanks for applying for the position of Customer care asst

We’ve got a rigorous selection process at McDonald’s and on this occasion, after careful consideration, we’re sorry to inform you that we will not be inviting you to attend the next stage of the recruitment process.

It’s part of our policy that we don’t give out specific reasons why an individual has not been successful, but we thank you for your interest and wish you every success in the future.

Kind regards,

McDonald’s Recruitment Team

Is this a no ?? ive applied again 5 min ago. do i break policy or something ?

It sounds like it is. :frown: It is quite a popular place to work, so there will be a high volume of applicants, and perhaps some applications just stood out a bit more than yours. What did you put for the proudest achievements and spare time bit? Any way you could make it sound a bit more impressive? Did you put any answers to questions that you think they wouldn't have liked in the multiple choice? I would think if they replied like IMMEDIATELY saying that, it would be an error in the automated system, which can be a bit messed up sometimes! But since you said you applied yesterday and got that message today I wouldn't think that would be the case. I don't know if you're quite supposed to apply again for the same position immediately, or whether you'll have any luck if you do really. Perhaps working on making your application stand out a bit more, and then applying to another position when it becomes available, would be better. :smile:
Reply 14
MySweetheartTheDrunk
It sounds like it is. :frown: It is quite a popular place to work, so there will be a high volume of applicants, and perhaps some applications just stood out a bit more than yours. What did you put for the proudest achievements and spare time bit? Any way you could make it sound a bit more impressive? Did you put any answers to questions that you think they wouldn't have liked in the multiple choice? I would think if they replied like IMMEDIATELY saying that, it would be an error in the automated system, which can be a bit messed up sometimes! But since you said you applied yesterday and got that message today I wouldn't think that would be the case. I don't know if you're quite supposed to apply again for the same position immediately, or whether you'll have any luck if you do really. Perhaps working on making your application stand out a bit more, and then applying to another position when it becomes available, would be better. :smile:

I wrote ive won a football tournament and i moved from a level 2 course to a level 3 course in less then 1 week. Can you pm so we can discuss this please and give advice for next applications.
Reply 15
MySweetheartTheDrunk
Haha, you'll get an email and phone call and/or text when you've been offered an interview or anything :smile: Haha, cooking will be fineee, it'll probably be quite a good laugh! You'll probably find you'll do a bit of both, although the general thing that seems to happen (which obviously McDonald's won't admit, and perhaps isn't true in all restaurants) is that the good looking people are at the tills, particularly the girls, haha! Nahh there probably is a fairer way of deciding who works where, but that seems to be what I've observed, and what people seem to say!

Do you know anyone who works in the restaurant you've applied to? I had a friend who worked there, he mentioned to the manager that I'd put in an application, asked him to look out for it and put in a good word for me. So perhaps consider seeking out any friends or acquaintances you know who work there? That worked for me! I personally wouldn't phone up if you just applied yesterday, but maybe after about a week if you haven't heard anything I'd give them a call.

Well, the mystery shoppers mark all aspects of the service, but being polite and friendly definitely helps! Yeah, it would go up to £4.85 an hour (I think, I haven't experienced them yet but this is what they told me at my welcome meeting), but only for the two weeks after the mystery shoppers come in, it's not a permanent thing, and only if the restaurant finish in the top ten marks (I'm not sure how many restaurants are marked so not sure how difficult it is to get into the top ten! Although where I work has been in it like the past 9 times out of 10 I think I was told, so it can't be TOO rare to get in.)

Btw, the hospitality staff bit is a lot of interacting with customers as well, if that's what appeals you to working behind the tills. I was told it's far more important to create a good impression by being friendly and talkative than it is to keep the place clean (although obviously I need to!). I'm pretty much paid to just chat to people a lot of the time, which is not too bad at all! Apparently you get to know customers who come in regularly and stuff. It can be quite a sociable and fun position, and it really isn't all dirty work, mostly cleaning tables and collecting trays! You could maybe consider applying if you don't get the crew member position. :smile:

Oh okay! Oh my god lmfao, if they put me cooking now I'm going to be offended like "not good looking enough for you then?!"
I would love to be on the tills, ahah!
What did you put for your proudest moment when applying by the way?
Reply 16
At first I thought you were all joking about how good it would be to work in McDonalds... and then I realised you were actually being serious.
Reply 17
timmo541
At first I thought you were all joking about how good it would be to work in McDonalds... and then I realised you were actually being serious.

At the end what matters is the money and not where you work mate.
Rattlebag
Oh okay! Oh my god lmfao, if they put me cooking now I'm going to be offended like "not good looking enough for you then?!"
I would love to be on the tills, ahah!
What did you put for your proudest moment when applying by the way?

Haha! Now let's not start accusing McDs of being biased towards appearances, doubt it'd go down too well! :wink: Nahh but seriously, I doubt that is actually how they decide, people just joke about about that!

I put getting top grades in my prelims, and how I plan to continue to work hard to achieve similar grades in my exams and in fifth/sixth year blah blah. Sounds well geeky, but I couldn't think of anything else and I thought it kinda showed hard work and dedication and commitment and stuff! What did you put?
timmo541

Haha, I get a hell of a lot of stick for working in McDs, but it's genuinely not the worst place to work! If it was, why would it be so popular? I was pure dreading it at first, and like, I really hope I get rejected, crap, I've got an interview, I really hope I get rejected after this, lets not tell people where I work etc. But seriously, it's money, and it's a good laugh!

Latest

Trending

Trending