The Student Room Group

Substance Use and Abuse!

I've just been looking through my notes, only to discover that I only have 2 studies on this section. For the exam we need 3-4. If anyone else is doing OCR health psychology, could you give me a hand? :s-smilie:

The only two studies I have in my notes are:
-Moolchan, Ernst & Hemingfield: A review of tobacco smoking in adolescents.
-Lando: Successful treatment of smokers with a broad-spectrum behavioural approach.

If anyone is having any problems with any of the other 7 sections I'd be happy to help. :P
Reply 1
Well I don’t have either of those :tongue: haha.
The studies I have are:
Graham
Mossbach & Leventhal
Russell
Prochaska

Not sure if those are of any use to you, but if you want any more info on any of them I'd be happy to help :smile:
Reply 2
Hiya
Also doing health with OCR . The last study in by Robinson, Klesges, Zbikowski and Glaser 1997. It is "Predictors of risk for different stages of adolescent smoking in a bi-racial sample"

Hope that helps.

I'm having a little problem with this section. Came across a question and not too sure how to answer it. Was wondering if you had any ideas? It's "Discuss the validity of theories of substance abuse".

Please help as its bugging me as the exam is getting closer!
Reply 3
I'm assuming it's a Section A part b (if not then I've some SERIOUS revision to do!)

If you have to generally write 3-4 points discussing the general validity on Substance Abuse, you basically just need to write about how true a measure it is. I'd probably write something about the sample and how that needs to preferably be a large enough cross-section of the target population to be able to generalise the findings; this obviously links with Ecological Validity but you can tweak it so it's Validity nonetheless.

A second point...perhaps that these theories require the use of a self-report method (questionnaires or interviews) given to participants meaning that they then give socially desirable answers (i.e. they lie to suit what they believe is the less embarrassing answer or what they believe the experimenter wants) which ultimately and notoriously lowers the overall validity.

A third point might be ethnocentrism. If the theory has been developed in, say a Western Society then we cannot always apply these findings or theories to Eastern countries where attitudes to Substance Abuse are quite different and so is not Valid in these other countries. However, if the study was only meant to cover what happens in the Western world or whatnot, then the study can be pretty valid.

Now I COULD think of a fourth point but a) I'm lazy and b) I'm supposed to be doing my history revision today! Plus I usually only go for 3 points if it asks about a certain evaluation issue because they do take a little while to think of...but I hope I helped anyway. And I hope I'm right :tongue:
Reply 4
Thanks a lot :biggrin: It sounds right to me..Good luck with your exams x
The studies I have are:

Rosenhan and Seligman

Olds and Milner

Ikard and Tomkins

Prochaska

Leventhal

Flay

The ones in bold are the ones I chose to do from what we were given :yep:
Reply 6
It obviously varies depending on where you are studying the subject but I have

Rosenhan and Seligman - defining substance use and abuse
Olds and Milner - biological bases of substance abuse using lab rats
Ikard and Tomkins - validity of catagorising smokers using psychological explanations
Leventhal - fear appeals for quitting abuse
Flay - preventing smoking in 10-12yr olds
Spiral model of change - stages og quitting substance abuse

Latest

Trending

Trending