The Student Room Group

Will a HND get you into the 2nd year of a degree?

Hi guys :smile: Basically the problem I'm having is that i want to study criminology at Birmingham city university, but don't want to start from scratch (since i will be 20 when i finish). My college don't know either. I'm doing a HND in public services at the moment, with all of my modules covering aspects such as police force strategies, crime, law, structures of the police force, substance abuse ect. I even conducted research for the west midlands police on current crime rates and it all seems pretty relevant, and i have a psychology a level and two English a levels. Will this get me anywhere? I don't know where to start and most importantly i don't know how to apply. Any help would be great :smile:
What you are looking for is a 'top up' degree. Some Universities will offer this, but it gives you access to Year 3 as far as I am aware. As far as I'm aware Birmingham does not offer this service.

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/Top-up%20degrees%20-%20entry%20to%20year%203.pdf - This document gives a list of those offering the service, and the top one, Bath Spa, does offer Psychology. As it is year 3 it will be your module choices, so you could select their Criminology modules. However this would result in a degree in a degree in Psychology.
If you look at the website for your preferred Uni and check the course entry for the course you want to do, there will somewhere be guff about 'Entry Requirements'. If HND isnt specifically mentioned, then phone the Admissions Office of that Uni and ask them what the position is. Skipping a year is sometimes called 'advanced standing' btw.

The Dept may need to see a copy of the HND course content docs to check that you have covered the appropriate stuff in your HND to skip the first year - or they may see the HND as purely 'entry', and therefore you would have to complete the full degree. Every Uni will be different on this point so you will need to check.
Original post by Kaykl
Hi guys :smile: Basically the problem I'm having is that i want to study criminology at Birmingham city university, but don't want to start from scratch (since i will be 20 when i finish). My college don't know either. I'm doing a HND in public services at the moment, with all of my modules covering aspects such as police force strategies, crime, law, structures of the police force, substance abuse ect. I even conducted research for the west midlands police on current crime rates and it all seems pretty relevant, and i have a psychology a level and two English a levels. Will this get me anywhere? I don't know where to start and most importantly i don't know how to apply. Any help would be great :smile:

I did a HND in Computing and was accepted onto the final year of a Computing degree.
I believe a HND is the first two years of University, so yeah, you should be accepted on the third year of a relative degree. They may require specific grades though (such as so many Merits or Distinctions in so many units). Best thing is to e-mail the University that you're interested in!
Reply 5
DO HND courses have exams
Reply 6
Original post by nojoegohome
I did a HND in Computing and was accepted onto the final year of a Computing degree.

what university was this at, if you don't mid me asking. Think it would be highly unlikely that you reply given this comment is from 11 years ago, but ima ask anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending