The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Abiraleft
Oh, are we talking about plays? I'm currently involved in production of an adaptation of 'Othello". :smile:

That's one of my favourite Shakespeare plays.
I'm finding One Hundred Years of Solitude to be extremely odd, but amazingly well written btw :yy:
I'm going to buy lots of Virginia Woolf's work off Amazon soon; modernism :suith:
What are all your favourite literary periods?
Reply 5981
cubismdream
I'm finding One Hundred Years of Solitude to be extremely odd, but amazingly well written btw :yy:
I'm going to buy lots of Virginia Woolf's work off Amazon soon; modernism :suith:

Yup, I'm having a lot of fun doing it. :biggrin:

Well, it is magical realism. And yes, it's incredibly well written. :yep:

I read things more by content and genre than by period, but I suppose 19/20th century Russian stuff would be one period that might stand out for me...

I just finished reading the play 'Herakles' by Euripedes. I haven't gotten anywhere with stuff I was planning to read due to the Othello project, but I have to read at least two plays for Lit at school, so I'm doing them first.
cubismdream

I haven't read enough to have a favourite literary period :frown:
But I liked Mrs Dalloway by Woolf and I like George Orwell and Katherine Mansfield so 20th century?

Think I might join this society later :p:
Has anybody here read The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier? I just finished it and it's the best book I've read in the last year or so. It comes under the heading 'teenage fiction' but don't let that put you off.
Reply 5984
I recently restarted George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. Anyone else read this series? I only ever read the first book before getting side-tracked, but so far it's actually pretty good.
Reply 5985
Kevmeister
Has anybody here read The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier? I just finished it and it's the best book I've read in the last year or so. It comes under the heading 'teenage fiction' but don't let that put you off.

My little brother is going to do it at school. What kind of a book is it?

I recently restarted George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. Anyone else read this series? I only ever read the first book before getting side-tracked, but so far it's actually pretty good.

I've heard of it. What genre? Any good?
Abiraleft
My little brother is going to do it at school. What kind of a book is it?

I had to read as part of a module in my course. It's a psychological book in a way, and revolves around a kid railing against the underground bullying mob that pervades the school.

Out of interest, what age is your brother?
Reply 5987
Kevmeister
I had to read as part of a module in my course. It's a psychological book in a way, and revolves around a kid railing against the underground bullying mob that pervades the school.

Out of interest, what age is your brother?

Sounds cool. :smile:

He's 12, 13 this May.
Abiraleft
Yup, I'm having a lot of fun doing it. :biggrin:

Well, it is magical realism. And yes, it's incredibly well written. :yep:

I read things more by content and genre than by period, but I suppose 19/20th century Russian stuff would be one period that might stand out for me...

I just finished reading the play 'Herakles' by Euripedes. I haven't gotten anywhere with stuff I was planning to read due to the Othello project, but I have to read at least two plays for Lit at school, so I'm doing them first.

I was going to mention that I haven't really delved into magic realism before, I was thinking of reading some Salman Rushdie when I get time, what are everyone's opinions on his work?

Lafayette Blues
I haven't read enough to have a favourite literary period
But I liked Mrs Dalloway by Woolf and I like George Orwell and Katherine Mansfield so 20th century?

Think I might join this society later

20th Century (mostly modernist and postmodernist) works are probably my joint-favourites with 19th century Russian classics.
And welcome :smile:
Reply 5989
Abiraleft

I've heard of it. What genre? Any good?
Ha, don't know you know by now that I only read fantasy? :laugh:

Only kidding. Yes, it's wonderful, but again, a fantasy classic. Very dark.
Reply 5990
cubismdream
I was going to mention that I haven't really delved into magic realism before, I was thinking of reading some Salman Rushdie when I get time, what are everyone's opinions on his work?

You'll proably like it if you like cubism and surrealism (guessing from your username).

Rushdie - I read a bit from his non-fiction 'The Jaguar's Smile' once, and I found it a bit cynical, but I hear his work is generally good and mind-provoking. Go for it!

20th Century (mostly modernist and postmodernist) works are probably my joint-favourites with 19th century Russian classics.
]

Checkhov, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Turgnev...?

And examples of modernist & post-modernist writers?

Demon_AS
Ha, don't know you know by now that I only read fantasy?

Only kidding. Yes, it's wonderful, but again, a fantasy classic. Very dark.

Is it a quest-type book? All fantasy books I've read so far (not much, I know) seem to be...
Reply 5991
Abiraleft

Is it a quest-type book? All fantasy books I've read so far (not much, I know) seem to be...
What do you mean? It has a point, yes... but no one really goes on a quest, really. Not in the way I think you mean.

All I can say is, RAFO.
Reply 5992
Demon_AS
What do you mean? It has a point, yes... but no one really goes on a quest, really. Not in the way I think you mean.

All I can say is, RAFO.

Oh yes, RAFO, of course, of course, it's all perfectly clear now.

What's RAFO?
Abiraleft

What's RAFO?

Read and find out, IIRC
Reply 5994
:ditto:

:wink:
Reply 5995
Demon_AS

I've been recommended this before. Comparison to WoT?
Reply 5996
suneilr
I've been recommended this before. Comparison to WoT?
If WoT is 10, then from the first book, I would rate ASOIAF at about 8. It's pretty awesome.
Reply 5997
Oh. :o: Yeah, I should read it.

Started Rabindranath Tagore's 'Red Oleander', and it seems really good so far.
Have to say that Ian M Banks is really very very good. The more I read of him the more I like it :smile:
Reply 5999
I read ASOIAF when I was very young, so it's hard to recall some of the plot, but I found it an enjoyable book. Come to think of it, I might look at it again with my more mature(-ish) POV now :biggrin:

Is anyone here interested in very old literature? I've been getting more and more fascinated with it lately. So far I've read The Tale of Genji, Gawain and the Green Knight and Tristan and Iseult and they're fascinating :smile: . I plan to go through other le morte d'Arthur stories

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending