Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
yo-less
notice the irony :cool:

i haven't read dracula :eek:have you?

not yet but i have the book and will read it sometime ....hopefully soon
ayaan
Has anyone read the Pickwick papers?
Generally I like Dickens, but this one seems to be of a slightly lower quality than his usual work.
Does it get better, or am I justified in just giving up?

His first novel, so he was still learning to be a novelist. "Slightly lower quality" is kind. Not much improvement if I remember rightly.
Don't be mean! I loved David Copperfield and Great Expectations.

Out of interest do you write?
Reply 783
speaking of vampires, have you guys read I am Legend? it's an amazing book. yo-less, i don't know if you got a reply to the question you asked when you first started the thread, but the answer is yes, there is a sequel to When the Wind blows, it's called The Lake House and it's also amazing. When the Wind Blows was my favourite book for so long, but then Kelley Armstrong came along.
Reply 784
Has anyone read 'Kushiel's Trilogy' by Jacqueline Carey??

I gave it to my flatmate to read, who doesn't really like to read and now i have her hooked. Hard as it is to choose a favourite anything this set has to be my favourite book(s).
Reply 785
asmodexx
speaking of vampires, have you guys read I am Legend? it's an amazing book. yo-less, i don't know if you got a reply to the question you asked when you first started the thread, but the answer is yes, there is a sequel to When the Wind blows, it's called The Lake House and it's also amazing. When the Wind Blows was my favourite book for so long, but then Kelley Armstrong came along.

omg,i adore those two books.
is there a 3rd book,a follow up to the lake house?
Reply 786
we had the annual book sale in Colombo yersterday and i bought the following:
Terry Pratchett:The Truth(discworld)
Terry Goodkind:can't remember the name...:eek:
2 books by Garth Nix
Thomas Harris:Black Sunday

have you guys read any of these authors.Terry Goodkind is new to me...:o:
ayaan
Don't be mean! I loved David Copperfield and Great Expectations.
sorry: I meant there's not much improvement in Pickwick. Dickens got much better. Bleak House andOur Mutual Friend are very good. An influence on dickens and Pickwick especially, though I think he's better than pickwick is Surtees: Mr Facey Romford's hounds snd Mr Sponge's Sporting Tour. They also explain a lot about the English obsession with fox-hunting.

Out of interest do you write?
No: still catching up on my reading.
Weejimmie
sorry: I meant there's not much improvement in Pickwick. Dickens got much better. Bleak House andOur Mutual Friend are very good. An influence on dickens and Pickwick especially, though I think he's better than pickwick is Surtees: Mr Facey Romford's hounds snd Mr Sponge's Sporting Tour. They also explain a lot about the English obsession with fox-hunting.No: still catching up on my reading.

If I didn't already have so much reading to catch up on myself, I'd say I'd read them all, as it is, just point out the 'best' one.
The later books: Bleak House or Our Mutual Friend, I'd say.
Reply 790
you guys have killed my thread:frown:
Me and weejimmie? um weejimmie and I?
Reply 792
the latter!:security:
But look! we're posting, the thread lives!
Reply 794
hurrah !
Reply 795
um...huzzah!
:rolleyes:

evil people,you lot:frown:not that i'm one to talk...
gemby!
hurrah !

Huzzah!

Whatever happened to 'staylors list of excellent words', I had a mini campaign to bring back the word huzzah on it, I think.
ok i sneaked the da vinci code from my dad today, but is it worth reading? read the back of the book and it seems very technical!"
Reply 798
I think it is worth reading, it's mostly become something to read since so many people are talking about it. Over-hyped I think but still a fairly decent book.
yeah i feel like i'm at a losse end when people talk about it\! started reading it last night it seems ok atm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending