The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
I loved LotF but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so dark! I felt a bit misled :smile:
I could never burn books :eek: even if I hated them!
Reply 981
Where do the flies come in?:wtf?:
I don't know...
I could probably burn the ones I hate if I needed fire to keep me alive.

Yes, I saw The Day After Tomorrow recently.
Reply 983
Well, then you can't burn the Bible.
I don't hate the Bible :p:
Reply 985
Was is the first book ever written?:hmmmm2:
No.
I'm sure the torah came before, at least...
Reply 987
Define 'book'. Do you just mean printing-pressed books? In which case it would, I think, be the Bible. Or would you include scrolls, and papyrus, and wax tablets...?
I would rather burn furniture than books. Although if it were a choice between books I hated and which were without any merit whatsoever, literary or otherwise, and a nice piece of furniture, I suppose I'd have to burn the books. But only for survival. After my GCSEs I did consider burning my chemistry work, but I couldn't even manage that.
It broke my heart just to throw away all my notes after 'A' levels.
ayaan
It broke my heart just to throw away all my notes after 'A' levels.

I don't take notes in my 'A-level' subjects, I just try to remember it all, and end up forgetting 95% of it, or more if I fall asleep.
No, my exam notes, that's the only time of year that I open a book (for school).
ayaan
No, my exam notes, that's the only time of year that I open a book (for school).

The only revision books I can stand are CGP books, and they aren't designed for my syllabus :bawling:
Do you take WJEC exams?
Every revision book I had had questions for them
You welsh have weird exams.
ayaan
Do you take WJEC exams?
Every revision book I had had questions for them
You welsh have weird exams.

Yep, I'm doing WJEC. And there are books for my syllabus, but they are BORING!
And your exams are weird.
ayaan
And your exams are weird.

In what way? The syllabus is similar to most other UK syllabuses, there are only a few differences :confused:
I liked all the books I had to do for WJEC A-level English Lit. But then again, I like nearly every book I read :s-smilie: So that doesn't really help much. And as for burning books - anyone who burns the books they dislike ought to be banned from the entire world of literature. It's like being a christian and expecting to be accepted into the christian community, having killed someone 'bad'. Hahaha. What's wrong with Margaret Atwood? I loved The Handmaid's Tale! I loved Lord of the Flies - I was expecting it to be dark and it was wonderfully so, so I felt very satisfied by the end. *grins*
P.S. "Can I be a member?" she asks gingerly.
Reply 998
Madelyn
I think the book I liked least was Good Wives, by Louisa May Alcott. It's the sequel to Little Women and one of the few books that I've started and never finished. So I know I'm not really qualified to pass judgement on it, but I hated it. I don't much like Little Women, either.
As for the worst book I've read, The Da Vinci Code has to be pretty near the top of the list.
Going back to the previous topic, how can you burn books? I can hardly bear to give books away, burning them is just unthinkable.

i wasn't a big fan of that book either. probably cause i had heard that it was going to be so amazing. anyway try another book, like Deception point. it is much better and i think that it is better written as well.
Oooh how do you join this place...it seems, my kinda thing maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending