The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Elements
That's great to hear! Thanks!:yy: I started reading it and found it interesting so now I'm looking forward so much to reading it all!

When was the feature on channel 4 on?^o)

Er... not that long ago, it was a pre-Christmas thing. I remember discussing it with my aunt at Christmas, as we're both devout readers of Robin Hobb and Ursula Le Guin.

Google it; it was simply called Earthsea. There's a website (I know, 'cos I checked it hehe) that'll tell you all about it. I think my aunt mentioned something about buying the DVD's, which means you can do the same thing, if you fancy watching them. The programme, as I remember it, seemed to follow the books only vaguely, so on its own it's a good fantasy thing, but you need the books for a fuller understanding.
Reply 1581
Steph!

Gonna head to a charity shop to pick up some more stuff, but that's what I'm starting with! :biggrin: Anyone read any of them? I guess from your conv that maybe my taste is a bit different to most of you? I know it's different to Arjun's! :p:

I haven't read any of them - and I wouldn't say your taste was "different", per se, because it's not as if any one of us wouldn't read at least one book off that list.

Then again... we know that we both have different tastes. Thanks for using my name :p:. I wonder why we have alias's :p:.

PS: The Oxfam shop town down is good for books. No new fantasy stuff, though. Nothing I haven't already read, anyway. :p:
A_Singh
Thanks dude, I might watch them at some point.

Btw, The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K. Le Guin is fantastic! And utterly magnificent series. I even enjoyed the two-part feature they made on Channel 4, although, as always, the books are always much better.

A brilliant quartet, and definitely the kind of book you want to be reading in the summer :biggrin:.

I saw the 2 part series, only i didn't watch it on TV, there were a few chances and everytime i missed it... so i aquired them:redface:
Reply 1583
A_Singh
I haven't read any of them - and I wouldn't say your taste was "different", per se, because it's not as if any one of us wouldn't read at least one book off that list.

Then again... we know that we both have different tastes. Thanks for using my name :p:. I wonder why we have alias's :p:.

PS: The Oxfam shop town down is good for books. No new fantasy stuff, though. Nothing I haven't already read, anyway. :p:

it's in your profile smelly :p: anyone can see your name...

Yeah I know, I'm gonna be off down to the oxfam before my holiday, may treat myself with a visit to ottakars or waterstones too!! :eek:
Reply 1584
Steph!
Yeah I know, I'm gonna be off down to the oxfam before my holiday, may treat myself with a visit to ottakars or waterstones too!! :eek:

:eek: Spendthrift! I didn't realise you were rolling in it :wink:.

Lol, on the serious side, though... I wish I *could* go to Ottakar's, or even Oxfam, but I can't for three reasons.

1. No money.
2. No actual books to read.
3. I don't want the distraction this month! You know why.

*sighs* exam time is lonely time :cries:.
A_Singh
Er... not that long ago, it was a pre-Christmas thing. I remember discussing it with my aunt at Christmas, as we're both devout readers of Robin Hobb and Ursula Le Guin.

Google it; it was simply called Earthsea. There's a website (I know, 'cos I checked it hehe) that'll tell you all about it. I think my aunt mentioned something about buying the DVD's, which means you can do the same thing, if you fancy watching them. The programme, as I remember it, seemed to follow the books only vaguely, so on its own it's a good fantasy thing, but you need the books for a fuller understanding.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to read the books first though as I also find to prefer them over the films etc plus I love reading!:biggrin:
Steph!
it's in your profile smelly :p: anyone can see your name...

Ottkars and Waterstones :yy: I prefer Waterstones :biggrin:but Ottakars is nearer, meh. :hmpf:

No Oxfam near my place but there is one charity shop. From there it doesn't satisfy my fiction requirements though some good buys have been made in the past on revision guides, atlases and dictionaries. :yy:
Reply 1587
Elements
Thanks! I'm definitely going to read the books first though as I also find to prefer them over the films etc plus I love reading!:biggrin:

Those are as good reasons to do anything, as anything else :biggrin:. :top:
Reply 1588
Elements
Ottkars and Waterstones :yy: I prefer Waterstones :biggrin:but Ottakars is nearer, meh. :hmpf:

No Oxfam near my place but there is one charity shop. From there it doesn't satisfy my fiction requirements though some good buys have been made in the past on revision guides, atlases and dictionaries. :yy:

Ottakar's is pretty cool here, I like it, at any rate.

But you're right, charity shops don't usually have that big a selection, so you're lucky to find things that you want. I usually buy books that I've previously read just to own it... for £1 or £2... it's worth it! :biggrin:
Reply 1589
Indeed, exams are lonley times. ah well!

:eek: I always find loads of stuff at charity shops, but I'll read anything, as long as it has words in! If it's only £2 I'll buy it!!

And yeah Elements I know what you mean about Waterstones, it does tend to have a better range, but Ottakars has a Cost Coffee in! :eek: and ours is nice and light which is a conrast to the Waterstones!
Reply 1590
Steph!

:eek: I always find loads of stuff at charity shops, but I'll read anything, as long as it has words in! If it's only £2 I'll buy it!!

And yeah Elements I know what you mean about Waterstones, it does tend to have a better range, but Ottakars has a Cost Coffee in! :eek: and ours is nice and light which is a conrast to the Waterstones!

Yeah, our Waterstone is a bit dark and gothic, good thing the sci fi/fantasy section is pretty close to the exit, otherwise I'd have trouble seeing my books! Lol.

I'm usually a little more selective about my books, though, "Steph" :p:. The point is (for me) to read something I'll enjoy, not just for the sake of reading.

You read the Da Vinci Code?
Steph!

:eek: Someone with the spending bug alert!:p: I don't like Coffee :ninja: and the Ottakars near me doesn't do that. :hmmmm:.
A_Singh
Yeah, our Waterstone is a bit dark and gothic, good thing the sci fi/fantasy section is pretty close to the exit, otherwise I'd have trouble seeing my books! Lol.

I'm usually a little more selective about my books, though, "Steph" :p:. The point is (for me) to read something I'll enjoy, not just for the sake of reading.

Luckily for me, the waterstones that I know and go to isn't dark and gothic because otherwise I'd hate it and find it depressing!
Reply 1593
Elements

The two in my town are equidistant from me; they are right next door to each other so a book hunting sesh usually involves a visit to both.

My summer reading so far is minimal, what for exams and such. I did finally get to read the latest trashy novel by Karin Slaughter this week though. I've been waiting for that in softback for about a year and my girlfriend spotted it and picked it up for me, she's such a sweety! Was good. Trashy, but good.

I ordered the first Wheel Of Time book this week too, looking forward to that. I really should learn to shop in charity shops for my books, I always pay full price like a sucker!

That was a whole load of nothing, but I thought I'd show my face in here for the first time in a while. Must try and post here more, tis a pleasant place!
A_Singh
Hmmm, I see what you're saying, but I still enjoy the genre, even if it's been done before. I do, however, think that there are yet new stories to be told, and new clichés to be made (as it were).

Three cheers for fantasy and sci fi haha.

Trust me, I'm a BIG scifi and fantasy fan!!! *but I wouldn't be me if I didn't try to see things for what they really are; and appreciate all their facets..:rolleyes: *
Steph!
haha, cool! 'sexy dancing'! love it!

ok guys! my summer reading (so far)

Bluebeards Egg - Margaret Atwood
The Blind Assasin - Margaret Atwood
The Dubliners - James Joyce
Jude The Obscure - Thomas Hardy
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Human Bones - Sebastian Faulks
Bad Blood - Lorna Sage
White Teeth - Zadie Smith
The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith
The Stars' Tennis balls - Stephen Fry

Gonna head to a charity shop to pick up some more stuff, but that's what I'm starting with! :biggrin: Anyone read any of them? I guess from your conv that maybe my taste is a bit different to most of you? I know it's different to Arjun's! :p:

Oooh ooh! Life of Pi's on my summer list too!!!
The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency was really good. But I don't think I'm fully objective because I grew up in South Africa, and alot of the reason it hit home was because it so perfectly captured the essence of the culture, and of the people I'd worked with and lived with. But its good anyway! It's far more the sort of book that's commenting on the experience of life, than being about a storyline..if you get my gist.

My best friend LOVED The Blind Assassin..and he has impeccable taste :wink:

BTW did anyone have Margaret Atwood for E.Lit A2? I tried to talk my lecturer into it last year, but didn't win.
Elements

Of course you prefer Waterstones! There isn't any contest!!! :biggrin:
Yeh..Andover's Oxfam isn't particularly exciting either :frown:
A_Singh

But..but.. I LOVE Dark and Gothic! It makes me feel like I'm creeping into a treasure cave! :redface:

I did read Da Vinci code. I thought Angels and Demons, and even Deception Point (two of Dan Brown's others..) were better though..
What did you think?
Craghyrax
But..but.. I LOVE Dark and Gothic! It makes me feel like I'm creeping into a treasure cave! :redface:

I did read Da Vinci code. I thought Angels and Demons, and even Deception Point (two of Dan Brown's others..) were better though..
What did you think?

I've not read deception point, but agree about Angels & Demons
Reply 1599
Elements
Luckily for me, the waterstones that I know and go to isn't dark and gothic because otherwise I'd hate it and find it depressing!

Well, picture black walls (or some kind of dark blue/grey), black bookcases, grey carpets, and bad lighting.... and, well, it feels kind of gothic to me! Good selection of books, and as I said, it's close to the exit so I can make a quick exit as soon as I feel the need to put on my leather and wear mascara creeping upon me.... :p:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending