The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I'd still put bets on about 50% of your course mates being new to geology.

How is it hard to read ahead? Surely you have a textbook, full of geology?
Reply 581
yeah, but most of it is unrelated to our course, and i dont want to bother doing stuff that i wont need to know
Reply 582
Maybe you're on the wrong course/ at the wrong uni then.
Reply 583
i know, i should be at bristol but i didnt get the grades :frown:
Oh for christs sake, would you stop putting down Southampton uni? It's not the uni's fault if you won't study or read ahead! I did geology at A2 and still have learnt a lot of new stuff- it's called further research! I'm doing 32 hours a week of private study which might have something to do with it. And for someone who says all of it is a repeat of A2, do please tell me why you were asking me for the answer to the crystallography exercise in yesterdays lesson?

Oh finally, if you read the sheets at the back of the powerpoint presentations it tells you what extra reading needs to be done. And we have also been told which course/module books we need. University isn't about being spoon fed- it is about taking initiative and learning as much as you can on the topics being covered. It is no different at Bristol uni (and i could have gone there with my grades but didn't by choice, so don't think i'm just putting up with Southampton or something). Both Bristol and Southampton are in the top 150 Universities in the World... that says something!

I've also heard you turn up to lectures without getting pens and stuff out.. i'm not suprised you haven't learnt anything new to be honest Alex!

*phew*.. rant over! Getting back to my studying now on global circulation patterns in the atmosphere (something i didn't cover in A2 geology!)
Reply 585
sparkly_tiara
(something i didn't cover in A2 geology!)

No...that's AS Geography...

Oh, and - yes - stop your bloody whinging
Reply 586
lol, another subject ive done :p:

and how was i meant to know what it was when it didnt exist, you cant learn how to look at a shape in different ways, though if you can find it in a text book then fair enough.

it just seems stupid that if "soo many people" havent done geol before that they dont get forced to do an intro year and others can skip it.

and im more complaining about the accom, which is poor. my radiator still doesnt work damnit.
Reply 587
At durham, everyone who has a geology alevel says that the stuff we're doing in lectures and practicals is more advanced than the alevel material, so they don't seem to fussed
Well if i managed to work it out with the correct axes of symmetry then i believe it would be possible! Also, it isn't the universities fault that we don't come programmed all at the same level. As it has been said a million times on this thread, A level geology is not a common A level to possess- end of discussion. And doing an intro year for those that haven't done it probably wouldn't go down too well. I know some of the material is being repeated but there is also new stuff to be learnt- it is just a case of getting off your backside and doing it!

And if you are just moaning about accommodation then go and do that somewhere else. This is a geology society, not a "my radiator doesn't work" one. Either email maintenance, call them or go and bang on the door of gateley office until someone answers. It's not hard.
alex2006
At durham, everyone who has a geology alevel says that the stuff we're doing in lectures and practicals is more advanced than the alevel material, so they don't seem to fussed

Thank you! Someone who agrees with me!
Reply 590
alex p
lol, another subject ive done :p:

clearly not to a sufficient standard if you couldn't make your ucas offer...
Reply 591
fine then, the big bang, and el nino or how it rains may be new to you, but its not to me, and i have complained many times and nothings been done.

and yes, i only got a C in geog in the end, i missed it by 12 marks, but its still a high average, and still at a igh enough level to cover what weve done in lectures.
Reply 592
ok - its not new to you, how wonderful, but - dont worry - that wont be the case for long.

Oh, and, because of that, why not take the opportunity to improve your knowledge on those topics even further?
Oh don't be such a patronising idiot. Those areas aren't new to me but things such as the wilson cycle, wadati- benioff zones and the corollis force calculations are. And if they aren't new to you then that's brilliant for you... but as Toby said, i'm amazed you couldn't get the BBC/ BBB needed for Bristol.
Reply 594
it doesnt matter, none of this stuff has been at that higher level, and my grades dont matter, im just annoyed that there nothin new so far, and now youve agreed with me, im happy :p:
Reply 595
I'd be willing to put money on the fact that there was a lot of new stuff but once he heard a familiar phrase he assumes that he knows it all since he did it at school and then switches off...happens to a lot of people.
Reply 596
ive never said i know it all, i just said i dont like repeating stuff cause its boring, i dont have alzheimers.
So you already knew all of those corollis force calculations today? Hmm, i highly doubt it!
Reply 598
i wouldnt know seeing as i was in bed ill.
Well i am almost certain you wouldn't have known anyway! So therefore stop thinking you know it all and stop moaning!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending