The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
or revising for ict in general?
Reply 2
I have this, im taking 2517 and resitting 2515.. not looking forward to it as there is no actual specific text book... im just going through the specification and past paper answers, and learning them..

Also... do you have the advantages and disadvantages of each implementation method??Cant seem to find them anywhere.

For:
Direct changeover
Parallel changeover
Phased installation
Pilot installation
direct changeover -

Advantages
does not require the cost of 2 systems running side by side

disadvantages
the new system may fail meaning that they would not be able to operate properly
staff may not be able to operate the system straight away causing tasks to take longer to carry out
parallel changeover
Disadvantages
if the new system fails they can rely on the existing system since both are run at the same time
Expensive since both systems are run at once

Advantages
Allows adequate time so that staff can get used to the new system

phased installation

advantages
each module can be tested throughly

Disadvantages
when combining modules there may be problems with variable names etc.

Thats all i could think of, hope it helps
Reply 4
bikinmad
I have this, im taking 2517 and resitting 2515.. not looking forward to it as there is no actual specific text book... im just going through the specification and past paper answers, and learning them..

Also... do you have the advantages and disadvantages of each implementation method??Cant seem to find them anywhere.

For:
Direct changeover
Parallel changeover
Phased installation
Pilot installation

It is annoying how there is no text book just because the syllabus changes next year
i literally lived off the textbook for 2512 and 2514!!!
Reply 5
Yeah same here, hoping my coursework brings up my grade... im just revising off past papers, but its annoying as some papers have the same questions, but completely different answers!?!
Reply 6
bikinmad
Yeah same here, hoping my coursework brings up my grade... im just revising off past papers, but its annoying as some papers have the same questions, but completely different answers!?!

I agree the markschemes seem to contradict themselves sometimes

My coursework was good but an extra 10 marks could have made a whole lot of a difference !!!
soul02
How is everyone revising for this exam/

My school got given powerpoints on each of the modules you are tested on in the exam. I don't have them on me, sadly, but they are useful, even though some of the things you study on them seem incorrect when answering a question.

What annoys me about this paper is that the mark scheme seems completely different to what I have revised, and a lot of answers to questions are so simple, you wouldn't guess that they were correct. For example, I was doing a practice paper yesterday and there was a question saying 'discuss the hardware and software developments that will allow students to keep their rooms clean, tidy and secure' and I looked on the mark scheme and you need to write down an impact and a consequence. One example they gave was: robotic vaccum cleaners can be used, but if these go bezerk they could jeapordise students study time, leading the student to fail the course! If I was in the exam, that would be the last thing on my mind as an answer =/
Reply 8
I hate the way OCR either want really specfic or really stupid answers to everything. And the fact that there is no proper textbook is also annoying. I'm sure they mark way too harshly as well.

As i said in the other thread- my class is in the predicament that we've had no chance to attempt either of these exams so we have 1 chance to do well.

I also have RS on Friday which is going to suffer due to ICT revision. :confused:

I got 50/90 on one of my 2515 past papers- what grade is that?- because I don't seem to be getting ay higher!
Reply 9
BoilingKettle
My school got given powerpoints on each of the modules you are tested on in the exam. I don't have them on me, sadly, but they are useful, even though some of the things you study on them seem incorrect when answering a question.

What annoys me about this paper is that the mark scheme seems completely different to what I have revised, and a lot of answers to questions are so simple, you wouldn't guess that they were correct. For example, I was doing a practice paper yesterday and there was a question saying 'discuss the hardware and software developments that will allow students to keep their rooms clean, tidy and secure' and I looked on the mark scheme and you need to write down an impact and a consequence. One example they gave was: robotic vaccum cleaners can be used, but if these go bezerk they could jeapordise students study time, leading the student to fail the course! If I was in the exam, that would be the last thing on my mind as an answer =/

Yeah we have the powerpoints but they aren't that detailed..
It's just a lot of notes to revise for 2 * 1.5 hour papers
Reply 10
jggb
I hate the way OCR either want really specfic or really stupid answers to everything. And the fact that there is no proper textbook is also annoying. I'm sure they mark way too harshly as well.

As i said in the other thread- my class is in the predicament that we've had no chance to attempt either of these exams so we have 1 chance to do well.

I also have RS on Friday which is going to suffer due to ICT revision. :confused:

I got 50/90 on one of my 2515 past papers- what grade is that?- because I don't seem to be getting ay higher!

I'll be happy with 45/90 for each paper
Do you guys feel the same as how i do?

OCR is ****. :biggrin:

Like somebody said in this thread, the answers to some of the questions in the mark schemes are so utterly retarded... you don't even think of them?

For example, name some project management techniques etc etc;

- "Project Management Software"...... and all year we are taught to be specific, but in this case you didn't even have to talk about Gantt Charts etc, it's so frustrating!

The best way, in my opinion, is to go into this exam thinking like a retard. It actually helped last year :biggrin:

Think about the really basic points that you wouldn't usually even consider, before thinking about any complexities.

Death to OCR!

John x
Reply 12
hallilad

Like somebody said in this thread, the answers to some of the questions in the mark schemes are so utterly retarded... you don't even think of them?

- "Project Management Software"...... and all year we are taught to be specific, but in this case you didn't even have to talk about Gantt Charts etc, it's so frustrating!

The best way, in my opinion, is to go into this exam thinking like a retard. It actually helped last year :biggrin:

Think about the really basic points that you wouldn't usually even consider, before thinking about any complexities.

Death to OCR!

John x

To sum up i totally agree x
Reply 13
Good job its the last year of the course, but even if i fail, i think i am able 2 resit next year... not too sure tho?
Reply 14
I don't think the new course is any better to be fair
hallilad

Death to OCR!

John x

Here here. I agree with you completely. It's so hard because the answers can be so simple you just don't expect it to be correct, and when marking, OCR sticks to the examples given =/ I'm finding the best possible way to revise is by looking at past mark schemes at the minute, but even these are contradicting themselves, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread :s-smilie:
Reply 16
it's the stupidest exam ever
Reply 17
I'm doing this exam :biggrin: Theres only like 5 people in my ict class doing this exam.

I'm also doing the 2515 resit.

I'm feeling quite confident, but I agree that the answers to the questions are really stupid.

One main thing to do in these exams is to make sure you relate your answer to the context of the question....

Does anyone know where I can get the JUNE 2006 2517 past paper?

cheers
Reply 18
If anyone has the June 08 mark scheme for 2517 look at the last question second bullet point from the end...

...who writes these mark schemes? And who would actually put that down as an answer? It's so stupid.
Reply 19
I need a combined 80 marks on 2515/2517 to get a C overall but i'm not even confident of that. A lot of it is business related which i'm hoping to pick up the majority of my marks in, but the ICT based questions are going to kill me really. As said a million times before, the answers make no sense whatsoever. If I do bad in ICT tomorrow then it's going to pile so much pressure onto me for my other 2 subjects to bump a grade.. Argh!!

Latest

Trending

Trending