The Student Room Group

French A2 AQA Unit 4 Old Spec -

Thoughts, answers, queries and general discussion.
How'd you find it?

I thought the listening was overall OK (though a few small harder bits), grammar section perhaps deceptively easy, the first reading text quite difficult (V,F,ND) but the second and third ok.
Section D was quite tricky I'd say, 5 true were easy-ish, some of the 'find the same words' were hard and then translation to english, I messed up on this big time! Getting the wrong nationalities, poor structure and not getting the gist at all of the last 2 sentences =[ English to French, grammar ok but really annoying that i couldn't find the key vocab in the text so lost atleast 1 on each of those for that.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That was quite an easy paper compared to old ones I think though. Really bad Arabic though ("hchmchech" isn't even a word as far as I know), but since it was a French exam that doesn't really matter. I didn't find the V/F/ND thing too difficult, but I didn't like the one where you had to tick the five statements that were true.

The only thing I really had problems with was " ... gare du Nord" in the French->English translation, which I couldn't seem to fit into any kind of context, so I ended up just putting "North station" with the hope that it's right :p:
Reply 2
I was just about to start this thread but you beat me to it :-P

I thought it was ok on the whole - i thought the translations were easier than normal - and "Gare du Nord" is the main station in Paris - I decided to translate it lieratlly into "North Station"

I messed up a bit on the long listening and would have liked a bit more time at the end to check it through but hey, it could have gone a lot worse!
Reply 3
what did you translate, 'jai connu le racisme..' as? A lot in my set put 'I was racist' or 'I experienced racism'
Reply 4
dmoorcroft
I thought it was ok on the whole - i thought the translations were easier than normal - and "Gare du Nord" is the main station in Paris - I decided to translate it lieratlly into "North Station"
I was a bit iffy about the G in "gare" not being capitalised, but it turns out it doesn't meed to be... oh well, there goes a mark or two! Thank jeebus it's out of 140 :p:

dmoorcroft
I messed up a bit on the long listening and would have liked a bit more time at the end to check it through but hey, it could have gone a lot worse!

That long listening was hilarious... when the guy was talking about distributing his licence points around his friends, and using his dead father's licence so that he could drive like a maniac :p: I couldn't take it seriously.

JoseReina
what did you translate, 'jai connu le racisme..' as? A lot in my set put 'I was racist' or 'I experienced racism'

It'd be "I experienced racism".
Reply 5
JoseReina

I put "I experienced racism" as i I experienced racist feelings. i reckon the mark scheme will allow both. I'm dying to see the mark scheme now!

And I found the 'finding alternative words' part pretty easy! :-)
Reply 6
Did anyone else notice in the English to French translations, I think it was the second one it said "Some shopkeepers allow their customers to use euros." It should have said francs, of course they let them use euros, that was the legal currency.
Reply 7
MOWD
Did anyone else notice in the English to French translations, I think it was the second one it said "Some shopkeepers allow their clients to use euros." It should have said francs, of course they let them use euros, that was the legal currency.

I noticed that. I thought the sentance was "Many shopkeepers allow their customers to use euros" but i may be wrong
Reply 8
And I found the 'finding alternative words' part pretty easy!

It was tricky. I didn't know the one for 'rencontre.' What did you guys put? Also, I found the multiple choice q's quite tricky too. Weird paper, won't be surpised if the boundaries are quite low to be honest.
Reply 9
Some shopkeepers allow their clients to use euros

Was that like, 'des commercants permettent leurs (clients cant rememver) de payer en euros.
Reply 10
Personally didn't think the paper was too bad, had better, but had much worse.

Forgot a few simple verbs like "to show" and forgot what gare meant (kicked myself after) and for some reason I translated "j'ai connu le racism" as "I knew racism", which makes absolutely no sense in English, why did I do that?!

Apart from that, I think I messed up translating "would not have been" in the English -> French section, but everything else went fine & dandy!

Anyone noticed how close the grade boundaries are on this Unit? On a past paper I did, it was literally 10 marks between grades. So it's hard to say what I think I got.

Fortunately it's only 1/6th of the A Level, and I got 104/105 UMS on Unit 1, and a high A in Unit 2 + Unit 5 CW, so not that worried really.

Hope everyone else found it ok :smile:
Reply 11
would not have been

damn so did i. just realised, is it, 'n'aurais pas ete'
Reply 12
JoseReina
Was that like, 'des commercants permettent leurs (clients cant rememver) de payer en euros.

To allow someone to do something is permettre à, I think (and hope) anyway!
Hence, permettent à leurs
Reply 13
JoseReina
damn so did i. just realised, is it, 'n'aurais pas ete'

I realised it when I was walking home too.

Funny how much you remember when the exam is over.. :frown:
Reply 14
w!sh
I realised it when I was walking home too.

Funny how much you remember when the exam is over.. :frown:

I messed up on that too and for some stupid reason I put "n'aurais pas eu"

never mind!
Reply 15
sack it..onjly worth a mark. the listening was quite straightforaward i thought too. I always find that the hardest but if anything, this time around it was the other way round.
Reply 16
JoseReina
It was tricky. I didn't know the one for 'rencontre.' What did you guys put? Also, I found the multiple choice q's quite tricky too. Weird paper, won't be surpised if the boundaries are quite low to be honest.

for rencontré i put croisé, ive checked it in the dictionary and i think its right.
all in all it though it was quite a bit easier than some of the past papers we've done, so i think the grade boundaries might be high ish.
figure-it-out
Thoughts, answers, queries and general discussion.
How'd you find it?

I thought the listening was overall OK (though a few small harder bits), grammar section perhaps deceptively easy, the first reading text quite difficult (V,F,ND) but the second and third ok.
Section D was quite tricky I'd say, 5 true were easy-ish, some of the 'find the same words' were hard and then translation to english, I messed up on this big time! Getting the wrong nationalities, poor structure and not getting the gist at all of the last 2 sentences =[ English to French, grammar ok but really annoying that i couldn't find the key vocab in the text so lost atleast 1 on each of those for that.

hi...what languages are you planning on doing at cambridge? plus, what college? :p:
Reply 18
hey are we allowed to talk bout this yet?
Reply 19
jessabelly
hey are we allowed to talk bout this yet?

yeah we are as AQA is a UK only exam board and everyone sites the exam at the same time :-)

Latest