The Student Room Group

"The Catcher in the Rye"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8084931.stm

Just read this article on BBC on one of my favourite books and I hate how it seems to have a Marmite-like way of polarising people!

Its first sentence is, I think, the greatest first sentence of any novel (that I have, read, anyway)

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied, and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of cr*p, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.

Sends shivers down me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didn't read the whole article but I agree it's a wonderful book :smile: I feel quite sorry for Holden, he reminds me of someone I know... I always wondered what illness he got at the end, was it leukaemia like his brother do you think?
Reply 2
Looks cool, i'll look for it in the book store next time i'm there :smile:
Massively overrated book.
I love that book!
Reply 5
No, he had to go into the hospital for some kind of mental illness. That is the implication, I think.
I love it
Yeah, it's rubbish.
Arturo Bandini

I TOTALLY agree.

I bought it with the perception that it would change everything, as this is how I was told by everyone.
A "classic".

I didn't enjoy it. Quite a let down.
Reply 9
Brilliant book.
Looks like the "Marmite" analogy was more accurate than you thought, OP.
Reply 11
I Loooooved that book when i read it.
they mentioned it on '8 cimple rules' and i really wanted to read it.. and i really enjoyed it.
Arturo Bandini
Yeah, it's rubbish.

nicky_innit
I TOTALLY agree.

I bought it with the perception that it would change everything, as this is how I was told by everyone.
A "classic".

I didn't enjoy it. Quite a let down.

You're obviously phonies :rolleyes:
AhaShakeHeartbreak

You're obviously phonies :rolleyes:

It was though!
I was expecting some life-changing epiphony after I'd read it, but it just left me thinking...
"I'll never get those 2 hours back...ever."

It left me feeling how I felt after I watched He's Just Not That Into You.
*shudders*
Reply 14
serrellen
No, he had to go into the hospital for some kind of mental illness. That is the implication, I think.

Ah right... that makes more sense I guess!
I really loved it, so it's immaterial to me what anyone else thought of it; much like the rest of my interests and likes.
I thought there was going to be some major twist at the end but I'm sorry to say it wasn't.

It's an interesting read I think. Not amazing, not the most gripping page turner. However it is interesting.

Well written too.
good book.. i read a piece on the sequal in the guardian, seems hes really not into anyone adapting it into a film either hes turned down an offer by spielberg to film it...
Reply 18
I've never read it, though that first line just sounds like the words of an angsty 14 year old. Off-putting. I might give it a go some time though.
Reply 19
Amazing Guns N' Roses song too!

Latest

Trending

Trending