The Student Room Group

Book recommendations

Heyy :wavey:

I am 15 years old and currently in year 10. Reading has never been my favourite thing to do but recently I realized that I actually enjoy reading a lot more than I thought! Also with my GCSE English coming up, I would love to expand my vocabulary as currently in exams I cannot think of any other words than basic ones.

I love reading romance books as my favorite genre.

Please let me know:

Any book recommendations with romantic genre

Any book genre recommendations

Any book recommendations in general (any genre)

Thank you soo much, it's just with Christmas coming up, it is the perfect opportunity to ask for some books for Christmas :smile:

:ta:
Original post by amber.07

I am 15 years old and currently in year 10. Reading has never been my favourite thing to do but recently I realized that I actually enjoy reading a lot more than I thought! Also with my GCSE English coming up, I would love to expand my vocabulary as currently in exams I cannot think of any other words than basic ones.

Please let me know:

Thank you soo much, it's just with Christmas coming up, it is the perfect opportunity to ask for some books for Christmas :smile:

Romance isn't my favorite genre so you're getting a lot of mystery and adventure from me :tongue: Since you mention not liking reading much, I'm assuming you haven't read a lot of 'well-known' book series out there? Here's a few of those I liked (ones in bold have a romance element)-

The Shadowhunters series by Cassandra Clare (action, romance, drama, mystery, literally everything lmao)
The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (adventure, mystery)
The Maze Runner series by James Dashner (thriller, action)

And some lesser-known(??) faves-

Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan (action, sprinkle of romance)
The Seven Realms series (godly :yep:) by Cinda Williams Chima (literally everything. again. )

Happy reading! :smile:

Please let me know:

Hi, I also love reading Romance so I have plenty of recommendations. Lots of people who enjoy Romance and in your age group look to bookstagram and booktok for recommendations. Also, are you alright with reading books with mature content?
I would personally recommend anything by Colleen hoover ( she’s very popular right now and has books that involve romance amongst other genres).
Taylor Jenkins Reid’s books are amazing.
The folk of the air trilogy by holly black- it’s an amazing fantasy romance series.
A good girls guide to murder series by holly jackson- it’s a crime, mystery trilogy. Very brilliant, and has romance too.
The inheritance game series by Jennifer Lynn barnes - another epic romance, mystery series.
Let me know if you have any questions and make sure too check trigger warnings for books, and to see if the books contain any mature content if your not ok with reading that. Also make a Goodreads account to explore more books .
I am very happy to hear that you enjoy reading! When I was your age, I started reading Adrian Mole's diaries. "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13¾" is the first out of eight books by Sue Townsend. The books are brilliant, funny, heartbreaking at moments. People of all age can read and enjoy them. As for your favorite genre, I cannot really say much, since I don't usually read romance novels. Also, the Neapolitan Novels (My Brilliant Friend, The Story of a New Name, Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay, The Story of the Lost Child) by Elena Ferrante could be the best books ever, as the narrator writes with such raw honesty, that at times is just overwhelming. I hope you'll get many books for Christmas and enjoy reading them!
Reply 5
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Romance isn't my favorite genre so you're getting a lot of mystery and adventure from me :tongue: Since you mention not liking reading much, I'm assuming you haven't read a lot of 'well-known' book series out there? Here's a few of those I liked (ones in bold have a romance element)-

The Shadowhunters series by Cassandra Clare (action, romance, drama, mystery, literally everything lmao)
The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (adventure, mystery)
The Maze Runner series by James Dashner (thriller, action)

And some lesser-known(??) faves-

Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan (action, sprinkle of romance)
The Seven Realms series (godly :yep:) by Cinda Williams Chima (literally everything. again. )

Happy reading! :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: I'll have a look into those books :thumbsup:
Reply 6
Original post by Hisdarkseraph
Hi, I also love reading Romance so I have plenty of recommendations. Lots of people who enjoy Romance and in your age group look to bookstagram and booktok for recommendations. Also, are you alright with reading books with mature content?
I would personally recommend anything by Colleen hoover ( she’s very popular right now and has books that involve romance amongst other genres).
Taylor Jenkins Reid’s books are amazing.
The folk of the air trilogy by holly black- it’s an amazing fantasy romance series.
A good girls guide to murder series by holly jackson- it’s a crime, mystery trilogy. Very brilliant, and has romance too.
The inheritance game series by Jennifer Lynn barnes - another epic romance, mystery series.
Let me know if you have any questions and make sure too check trigger warnings for books, and to see if the books contain any mature content if your not ok with reading that. Also make a Goodreads account to explore more books .

Hello, thank you for your reply :smile: Yes, I'm fine with mature content. Thank you so much for the recommendations! I've heard of Colleen Hoover before I think? All my friends say her books are amazing too! Thank you for all your recommendations, I will definitely look into all of them! :^_^:
If you’ve just started to read I’d recommend the classics with which you can’t go wrong.. The Great Gatsby, jekyll and Hyde, pretty much anything Shakespeare. Or if you want something more contemporary, I would recommend khaled husseini especially “a thousand splendid suns” but mind you it is very political and not for everyone but as a young Muslim woman, especially Afghanistani, i was able to truly relate a lot to that book it is truly a masterpiece
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by rockyrhythm
I am very happy to hear that you enjoy reading! When I was your age, I started reading Adrian Mole's diaries. "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13¾" is the first out of eight books by Sue Townsend. The books are brilliant, funny, heartbreaking at moments. People of all age can read and enjoy them. As for your favorite genre, I cannot really say much, since I don't usually read romance novels. Also, the Neapolitan Novels (My Brilliant Friend, The Story of a New Name, Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay, The Story of the Lost Child) by Elena Ferrante could be the best books ever, as the narrator writes with such raw honesty, that at times is just overwhelming. I hope you'll get many books for Christmas and enjoy reading them!

Thank you so much! :smile: All these recommendations sound great! Thank you :thumbsup:
Reply 9
Original post by pandalovesyouu
If you’ve just started to read I’d recommend the classics with which you can’t go wrong.. The Great Gatsby, jekyll and Hyde, pretty much anything Shakespeare. Or if you want something more contemporary, I would recommend khaled husseini especially “a thousand splendid suns” but mind you it is very political and not for everyone but as a young Muslim woman, especially Afghanistani, i was able to truly relate a lot to that book it is truly a masterpiece

Thank you so much :smile:! I've heard of Jekyll and Hyde, I think I am studying it at school for GCSE next year. All these recommendations sound great! I'll definitely look into all of them :cute:
Original post by pandalovesyouu

Small note for Shakespeare- the original text might be a little too technical and colloquial to read, so I'd recommend you pick up a modern version to truly understand the story. Jekyll and Hyde is amazing, and it has two musicals under the same name too :smile:

If classics are something you enjoy, then let me also recommend Dracula (there's actually an email service called Dracula Daily that mails you the chapters on the day they happen! I tried it this year and loved it :h:), Around the World in 80 Days, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Ivanhoe and The Count of Monte Cristo. They are majorly their own genre, and have a distinctive writing style and way of expression.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11

Please let me know:

-my year of rest and relaxation
-the catcher in the rye
-the hate u give

Please let me know:

Id deffo recommend the books by cathy glass, lisa stone and mike pannett

Please let me know:

Idk if my previous one sent but i feel like it didnt so i'll write it again.

Daughter of the Moon Goddess

by Sue Lynn Tan

If i could erase my memory and read it all again, i would. Its an easy book to read and its filled with new vocab that i never came across. The descriptions are so beautifully and elegantly set out and i just fell in love with the writing. The sequel to it has some out called "Heart of the sun warrior" but i have yet to read it. I would say its more of an adventure but it does have romance and action on the side. It was an emotional rollercoaster for me.

A few things you will find in the story:
🐉 Chinese mythology & legendary creatures
🏹 Fierce female warrior fighting for her family
⚔️ A gentle prince & a ruthless soldier
💔 Friends—Lovers—Enemies
Reply 14
YES! So I am a huge reader and romance is probably my favourite genre since it takes up a lot of my reading... I'm not sure what type of romance you like so I'll just list a few different ones.

My all time favourite romance book would probably have to be The Song Of Achilles. Easy 5 stars. It's greek mythology and does contain some mature content but it's just so sad. A couple more romance books I'd recommend are A Court of Thornes and Roses (the second book in the series is the best), the Off-Campus series by Elle Kennedy, the Briar U series by Elle Kennedy, Punk 57, Archer's Voice (SO SAD), They Both Die At The End (yet again, another heart-wrenching novel), heart bones (unexpected plot twist), confess by Colleen Hoover (the confessions are crazy), the last song (this is the movie where Miley cyrus and Liam Hemsworth first met AAAAA), the shatter me series (not considered a romance but the rOMANCE IN THIS IS WOWOWOW), the selection series.

I kind of gave you a recommendation overload but I've read like so many different genres and books so if you need any more recs, I'm happy to help.
Original post by isha.
YES! So I am a huge reader and romance is probably my favourite genre since it takes up a lot of my reading... I'm not sure what type of romance you like so I'll just list a few different ones.

My all time favourite romance book would probably have to be The Song Of Achilles. Easy 5 stars. It's greek mythology and does contain some mature content but it's just so sad. A couple more romance books I'd recommend are A Court of Thornes and Roses (the second book in the series is the best), the Off-Campus series by Elle Kennedy, the Briar U series by Elle Kennedy, Punk 57, Archer's Voice (SO SAD), They Both Die At The End (yet again, another heart-wrenching novel), heart bones (unexpected plot twist), confess by Colleen Hoover (the confessions are crazy), the last song (this is the movie where Miley cyrus and Liam Hemsworth first met AAAAA), the shatter me series (not considered a romance but the rOMANCE IN THIS IS WOWOWOW), the selection series.

I kind of gave you a recommendation overload but I've read like so many different genres and books so if you need any more recs, I'm happy to help.

Omg, I love all of these books. And have read all of them, except confess but it’s on my TBR list. Great romance recommendations
Yess I loved the song of achilles! I’m starting ACOTAR this week but I’m a bit nerves about it haha

Please let me know:

hi, sorry im a bit late to this. this is a tbr list that me and my freinds made in yr11 last year and so if you still want to, there is a whole bunch of genres on there and quite a decent amount on romance too.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FOo56EdSgaw7P89hqWtCm9Dj2xPO83SiheeFVJXvEpU/edit?usp=sharing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending