The Student Room Group

Ethics - W.D. Ross and Prima Facie?

Can someone please explain this in detail,but in a clear way, to me? I would be very grateful. Ive tried searching on google but the information that comes up is far too confusing. Also, I'm learning this in conjuction with Kants categorical imperative..so can someone tell me how this relates to this because i am completely clueless.

Thanks in advance x
W.D Ross offered Prima Facie Duties as an alternative to Kant's theory. He said that some duties were more important than others and that we cannot set our duties in stone.

For example Kant would say it's wrong to steal bread to feed your starving family, however Ross would say this is ok as your duty to you friends and family is more important. His approach is more flexible than Kant's and therefore more appealing as Kant's theory seems to be too restrictive at times. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
fallen angel9
W.D Ross offered Prima Facie Duties as an alternative to Kant's theory. He said that some duties were more important than others and that we cannot set our duties in stone.

For example Kant would say it's wrong to steal bread to feed your starving family, however Ross would say this is ok as your duty to you friends and family is more important. His approach is more flexible than Kant's and therefore more appealing as Kant's theory seems to be too restrictive at times. Hope this helps!

Thanks :smile: That does help. Im just wondering whether you could explain this bit to me..
Ross listed seven prima facie duties:

Fidelity
Reparation
Gratitude
Justice
Beneficence
Self-improvement
Non-maleficence (avoiding actions that do harm)

I do not understand what they are on about at all.
katechar_X
Thanks :smile: That does help. Im just wondering whether you could explain this bit to me..
Ross listed seven prima facie duties:

Fidelity
Reparation
Gratitude
Justice
Beneficence
Self-improvement
Non-maleficence (avoiding actions that do harm)

I do not understand what they are on about at all.

I'm going to stab a guess and say those are the seven highest duties, according to Ross, that should be placed above all others.
This would make sense.

Latest

Trending

Trending