The Student Room Group
Reply 1
DenkMit
Has anyone ever travelled overland to Asia? Myself and a friend considering travelling on the Trans-Siberian railway to beijing/Shanghi/Hong Kong and then by to sea to Japan. Anyone done the trip or one similar, and whats it like sight wise, time wise and cost wise?

Thanks

No, but I was thinking of it too :smile: .
Reply 2
When you finish the trip, could you share the experience? Such an itinerary is very appealing :smile:
Sounds amazing :smile: i'm gonna head east too. no idea about cost...
Reply 4
I'm from Shanghai so if you want any information about there I might be able to help.er....hopefully..
Just wonder why you pick these sort of big cities in China but not those with really extraordinary landscape like Tibet or Yunnan province. It needs more time though.
Reply 5
you'll die on the train :eek: and have hemoroids from sitting way too long :eek:
anyway have fun. really do!
Its actually really good, i did one ages ago but a lot shorter. You really have to see Beijing, Shanghai and HongKong (I lived there for 5 years!). I'm not so sure about the trans-siberian but from what i've heard, it's amazing! It will take a long time but if you are doing that you should stop in a few more places other then just heading to China. The trains around china are cheap and there is enough room to walk about and everthing...but bring some of your own food (culture shock in some of the remote areas)lol. There is this one train ride called Palace on wheels but that is in India and it's basically like a holiday thing and the prices are a lot higher but the sights are fantastic. Train is generally the cheapest way to travel, I think but it does take the longest. When are you planning on going? Oh, and i wouldn't recommend going to Japan by sea...It takes too long and might be a bit rough. You can get really cheap flights from South Korea. Sorry if this info was irrelevant!
I'm doing basically this exact trip in reverse (i live in hong kong) solo starting on saturday.
Moving up the east coast of china, then ferry to south korea, ferry to japan, ferry to russia the whole trans-siberian from vladivostok to mosow i.e. the real 'trans-siberian' not the trans-mongolian or the trans-manchurian, stopping off a few times along the way of course as i dont want to sit in a train for 7 days as i pass some of the most amazing things on earth outside. as the above poster said trains in china re cheap and efficient and come highly recommended!
I'm figuring about 12 weeks for this trip but i could easily double that and still have plenty to see if i had the time to extend it!
Any questions about logistics of it or my route in more detail please ask!
Oh yeah and i've picked the big cities because I've already done most of scenic china i.e. yunnan, guilin etc, so i figure its time to catch these cities
as for the point about taking the ferry to japan, sure you COULD fly but wouldnt it be so much cooler if you went all the way from the uk to japan without flying? like a REAL overland journey?
Thats my intention anyway!

Latest