The Student Room Group

Skins

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jb9191

This series seems to be more realistic if you ask me. Where some have friends who their friends dont get on with and so on, it happens so much its unbelievable.

Are you being serious? Yeah, because its really believable isn't it?! I mean, what 16 year old DOESNT go and take mdma after college whilst walking around a shopping centre, yet appears not be suffering any effects whatsoever. This series is far wosre than the last, in terms of drug taking which is saying something. Its just how the writers try and portray the average teenager to be taking Class A drugs every day, and whats worse is that there are viewers (most likely 14 year old girls), who lap this **** up, and think that this is cool and are going to aspire to be like this. I am not saying that skins is a bad influence, because back in the day it was an awesome programme, but it had now turned into being a severely over-exaggerated portrayal of teenage life. This kinda stuff just doesnt really happen. Oh, and the Skins movie WILL be terrible. The only way it could possibly be good, is if it had the whole of the original cast in and doesnt feature or mention any of the other generations. Unlikely though.
Reply 1181
Original post by my9rides

Are you being serious? Yeah, because its really believable isn't it?! I mean, what 16 year old DOESNT go and take mdma after college whilst walking around a shopping centre, yet appears not be suffering any effects whatsoever. This series is far wosre than the last, in terms of drug taking which is saying something. Its just how the writers try and portray the average teenager to be taking Class A drugs every day, and whats worse is that there are viewers (most likely 14 year old girls), who lap this **** up, and think that this is cool and are going to aspire to be like this. I am not saying that skins is a bad influence, because back in the day it was an awesome programme, but it had now turned into being a severely over-exaggerated portrayal of teenage life. This kinda stuff just doesnt really happen. Oh, and the Skins movie WILL be terrible. The only way it could possibly be good, is if it had the whole of the original cast in and doesnt feature or mention any of the other generations. Unlikely though.

look if you don't like skins don't post on the skins thread...it's not my fave thing in the world but i enjoy watching it because it's entertaining..yeah its unrealistic but what programme isn't...i genuinely agree though, while ths series is not overly realistic, it's MORE realistic than the previous. things change, casts change all the time and if you don 't like any other skins generation just don't watch it! And tbh i think the first 2 series were the most "severely over-exaggerated portrayal of teenage life" of all them. But as I said i enjoy watching it for a laugh and yes whoever said rich is cute omg he was at the nme awards with cut hair and in a suit the other day!!!
I was reading the blog for Nick's episode on the Skins website (yeah, I'm cool) which is where I first read "the woman Nick shagged was his mum" theory. I don't know where that came from. She wasn't speaking to Nick's dad, it was some random bloke (perhaps her pimp or drug dealer). Nick looked nervous during the sex because he felt uncomfortable having sex with a mother (especially one as screwed up as that), not HIS mother. Decent episode though.

Another "theory" from the blog suggested that the MILF might appear again and cause trouble for Nick or even Matty (would be typical Skins to have the love interest of the main character, Frankie to be killed).

Alo's episode looks crap. From the long trailer you can watch on the website, it appears Liv is unzipping Frankie's dress. I presume there will be some weird scene there with Liv asking Frankie for a threesome with Matty which will freak Frankie out (don't blame her TBH). Matty will then see Liv for what she is, go to comfort Frankie, they kiss etc.
Reply 1183

You criticise this series yet you then profess your love for the first generation.

Tell me seriously, what teenager just suddenly starts prostituting herself to get back at her boyfriend or boy she likes and then randomly disappears to America?When you know a teenager like that tell me because I'll be extremely impressed.

Seriously, all 5 series so far have had their flaws, its unusual for a tv show not to have them but so what? I know plenty of teenagers who take drugs all the time etc. in school, after school and then clubbing. I'd say constant drug taking is far more believable than Cassie doing a runner to the states at her age after suffering from an eating disorder and relationship issues. Don't just slate the show because it doesn't reflect your life. Surely you should understand that there are teenagers out there like that. I know some in Cardiff like it so surely in a place like Bristol, which lets face it has a much much better nightlife and music scene, the likelihood is even higher.

Plus the film is based on the second generation. Cook, Effy etc featuring some of the first generation - more than likely cassie, sid, tony.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1184
I'm gonna watch the latest episode in a bit.

Just deciding whether I should have a **** before or after I watch it. Decisions decisions.
Really? You seriously say you didn't cringe, or tempted to turn the tv off, at the point when that girl in episode 2 jumped on the table in the bar and started shouting along to Rage Against The Machine??

That scene just made me laugh tbh :lol:. Yeah, it was silly, but hey, I don't take this show very seriously anyway.
Original post by jb9191
You criticise this series yet you then profess your love for the first generation.

Tell me seriously, what teenager just suddenly starts prostituting herself to get back at her boyfriend or boy she likes and then randomly disappears to America?When you know a teenager like that tell me because I'll be extremely impressed.

Seriously, all 5 series so far have had their flaws, its unusual for a tv show not to have them but so what? I know plenty of teenagers who take drugs all the time etc. in school, after school and then clubbing. I'd say constant drug taking is far more believable than Cassie doing a runner to the states at her age after suffering from an eating disorder and relationship issues. Don't just slate the show because it doesn't reflect your life. Surely you should understand that there are teenagers out there like that. I know some in Cardiff like it so surely in a place like Bristol, which lets face it has a much much better nightlife and music scene, the likelihood is even higher.

Plus the film is based on the second generation. Cook, Effy etc featuring some of the first generation - more than likely cassie, sid, tony.

Im not saying that it does not reflect anyone life whatsoever, but certainly not teenagers as a whole. I live in Bristol and therefore know what the nightlife and clubbing scene is like. Obviously there are drugs, but as skins portrays every teenager to be hooked on ecstacy, it is a gross misinterpretation of teenage life. Bristol nightlife, as good as it, is not accurately portrayed in Skins.
Original post by blurebl
But I really like Misfits these days, hope THEY make a new season!

Yeah, looking forward to what powers they get and that.

Back to Skins, I don't think Matty is going to get like his own individual episode like rest of the cast. But yeah, Nick one was the best by far. Thought he was going to be dull. Like how they spilt him from Mini and gave him some balls.
I know skins has gotten worse but I still like watching it... like a guilty pleasure :smile:

I like Matty,Grace and Now Nick after his episode I think Nick is a very interesting character you see how he hides behind his fake smiles and antics but he is angry inside reminds me of people I know :h:
Original post by Sangha236
Yeah, looking forward to what powers they get and that.

Back to Skins, I don't think Matty is going to get like his own individual episode like rest of the cast. But yeah, Nick one was the best by far. Thought he was going to be dull. Like how they spilt him from Mini and gave him some balls.

He doesn't this series. This week's episode is Alo, then Grace (read a spoiler for that, if it's true, then WTF) and the finale is as usual "Everyone".
this series has been crap upto now, the only good episode was livs
I really like Matty :coma:

But he's 17 even in real life. That's a 4 year age gap and it makes me a paedophile. :mmm:
Original post by Shadowplay
I really like Matty :coma:

But he's 17 even in real life. That's a 4 year age gap and it makes me a paedophile. :mmm:

I have good news for you. The age of consent in Britain is 16. So you can sex him as much as you like :biggrin:
In a few years time Matty's going to watch Skins back and realise he really should have shaved, he can't grow a beard at all.
Original post by Fandabidoze!
He doesn't this series. This week's episode is Alo, then Grace (read a spoiler for that, if it's true, then WTF) and the finale is as usual "Everyone".

What spoiler did you read?
Original post by i.am.lost
I have good news for you. The age of consent in Britain is 16. So you can sex him as much as you like :biggrin:

Hahaha, thanks! I'm already planning an ambush :smile:
I don't get why people like Skins so much. What's the appeal?
Reply 1197
Original post by language_man
I don't get why people like Skins so much. What's the appeal?

The first 3 series were brilliant. 4th was crap and the current (5th) season is rather boring.
In the first 3 series, it was lively and interesting, they've got the dynamic completely wrong since then. Characters become too messed up in the head now.
Original post by diamonddust
What spoiler did you read?

Spoiler

Reply 1199
The last episode was my favourite by far; my problem with this season was that I didn't like and couldn't care less about any of the characters, but somehow I now like Nick. The ginger seems alright but we've seen next to nothing of him, Frankie's just bland, Minnie is a manipulative bitch (I'm guessing the only reason she tried to get the group together was so that Nick would seem like more of a bad guy when his infidelity was revealed and more friendships were torn apart, or just because she realised she'd have no one otherwise), Liv is a frustratingly short-sighted coward who thinks she knows it all, the metal guy is entirely self-absorbed (beyond being nothing but a lazy outreach to a subculture that the production cast have previously glossed over) and his girlfriend may have the least interesting personality of them all.

But maybe now there's a character in Nick that I can care about following, and if they turned a class A **** like him around, maybe they can do it for the others. I would agree that the show seems to be going way too far into the characters' heads though, hopefully no one will go mental in this season.

Quick Reply

Latest