The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Ours is a C.
However there was one candidate who sat AH chemsitry this year with only a D at higher. As it happens he failed every nab and didn't bother with the final exam. I think they should have asked him to resit the higher.
Don't fret, I'm sure they wouldn't ask you to leave the class if you only achieved a B. Thats very good tbh.
Reply 2
He goes to my school, if you wondered btw.
But yes. She demands a one for both KU and PS for entry to higher, and A for AH. Also likes to say you may fail AH if youve not got an A-1 :frown:
Reply 3
at my school you only need a pass. my chemistry teacher says that if you have a C he doesn't recommend you take it unless you seriously ****** up last year, but can't stop you doing so at the end of the day.

your teacher seems an absolute moron, surely people at your school have shown that you don't have to have those requirements to do well at a higher level?
Reply 4
Dado Prso

your teacher seems an absolute moron, surely people at your school have shown that you don't have to have those requirements to do well at a higher level?

Nope because they're not allowed into the class in the first place...
She kept telling us how she had someone with a A who went on to fail the Advanced Higher(Although that was because he didn't try!) so there's no way she'd let me, sadly.
HIgh E
For any advanced higher we 'had' to get a B at higher. (And for some we 'had' to get a B in higher english also)
However it really depended on the person tbh. If you do end up getting a B, then go speak to your teacher about it. They'll most probably be happy that they have students wanting to do it - if it was anything like my school! Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
As far as I know there's no limit at my school but it's recommended you get at least a B. We got shown a table at the start of the year of the grade people got at higher and what percentage got what grade at advanced. That was a year ago now so I can't remember it accurately, but at a higher C there was still an alright chance of getting an advanced C (although a very slim chance of an A :p:). I would say it really depends on the person and the circumstances. Something may have happened during your higher that threw you off and resulted than a lower grade than you may have expected. That doesn't mean you wouldn't stand a chance at higher. Equally, if you didn't bother trying at higher but have the natural ability and drive to do the advanced there's still a chance of a good grade. Et cetera. If I was your teacher I'd let you give it a try personally
Reply 8
In my school you need over 60% in the prelim and atleast a B in the final exam, If you got a C in the prelim and then a B in the final exam you won't be considered. If you got an C in the prelim you would have to get an A in the exam for entry.
An A-C, althoiugh realistically they want an A-B.

Languages require an A at higher at our school though
to do AH.

I would like to think that the teacher would be slighly lenient if you got a high B though, as well as taking into account the A in the prelim. What I want to know is how many people will actually be in the class considering an A is required.
Reply 10
A-C here, and that's for any AH too.
Reply 11
Emzzzz:)x
Im a nervous wreck that I may have got a B..

OP, if the worst happened couldn't you change schools?
Reply 12
If you were predicted an A, and they think you're capable, they'll probably let you do it with a B - you might just have had an off day, and your teachers should recognise that.
To be honest, I'd have a bit of a go if they don't let you sit the subject.

Fair enough if you have failed and are a no hoper, but it's your education and you deserve to study what you want, not what looks best on their records.
Reply 14
namedeprived

Languages require an A at higher at our school though
to do AH.

Woah! I always though languages were the easiest AHs.
hollo
Woah! I always though languages were the easiest AHs.

I think it's more the fact that they are relativley easy at Higher(I'm talking about foreign languages such as french and Spanish, not English by the way), and there is a bigger step up to Advanced Higher than in other subjects.
Reply 16
our school has a policy of a B for all AHs but this is in no way strictly enforced. tbh i did AH chem and dont think you would need an A. a B or even a C will be fine. but it looks like its the teacher that's the problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending