The Student Room Group

16 and looking for a job

ive been spending ages looking for a job to pass the time and get some cash, mainly to fund bapes and my local cinema but im finding it really hard. alot of people have been saying that because of the recession, employers are steering away from younger people.
i REALLY need some help to get a job, whatever advice/info you have to offer it will be appreciated, thanks alot!
i need a job too
Actually also in what kind of place do you live?

I live in a town with 56000 residents maybe rising to 100000 with nearby districts and some shop which is replacing the old Woolworths made it into the tabloids as having 15000 applicants for 150 positions.
My friend went into a pub the other day that was recruiting a few bar staff and he was told 'we'll consider you but we have had over a 1000 applicants'

Plenty of jobs for everybody then yeh Mr Brun >_>
try gumtree.com, my friend got her job through there (y)
Don't expect anything amazing though, it'll be a chippy or a hairdressers or leafleting, but it's still a job :smile:
Reply 4
ill take almost anything! i live in sheffield (england). thanks alot for the help guys!
any more would be appreciated!
Reply 5
OWNIJ
ive been spending ages looking for a job to pass the time and get some cash, mainly to fund bapes and my local cinema but im finding it really hard. alot of people have been saying that because of the recession, employers are steering away from younger people.
i REALLY need some help to get a job, whatever advice/info you have to offer it will be appreciated, thanks alot!

If you're in Sheffield, I would've thought there would be loads of vacancies at Meadowhall?
Try looking in newspapers :smile:
And errm, i know you're a boy and all but try looking in cafe's and little diners. They're good for taking on younger people cos they tend to work harder. Takeaways are good too :smile:
My friend has just started working in kfc
Reply 7
the problem at medowhall is that its very, very popular. if there is a vacancy it gets filled really quickly and whos gonna employ a fresh-out-of-school 16 year old rather than an experienced 22 year old student.
rachaelpedreschi
try gumtree.com, my friend got her job through there (y)
Don't expect anything amazing though, it'll be a chippy or a hairdressers or leafleting, but it's still a job :smile:

What job did she get?

I tried and it is essentially teaching positions or some other niche job that requires experience that seem to be the ONLY job advertisements.
Reply 9
gumtree sheffield has lots available, its gonna take some time sifting though them (y)
PeteDoherty
What job did she get?

I tried and it is essentially teaching positions or some other niche job that requires experience that seem to be the ONLY job advertisements.

Chippy :smile: Quite decent for someone that has never had a job before, looking in the bit about Part Time, Evening and Weekend and that tends to have the jobs that school leavers might be able to get.
Also from Gumtree I got offered a job as a live-in waitress in a hotel but I never took it.

Another one to remember, JobCentre Plus website, has tons of jobs, updated every day so you can check every day, and I just got an interview for something I found on that :smile: Just need to make sure your CV is as impressive as possible.
Reply 11
OP: While you look for a paid job, do some volunteer work.. the experience you gain will be valuable some time in the future.. maybe.

Latest

Trending

Trending