The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Take the one which pays the most, sounds foolish, no as you will need the money for university.
Reply 2
i would say, which one is closer to you? which one pays better? which one do u see urself working at? What would u rather a sainsbury discount card or a Vue discount card? both are good, cause u can be asked to move across the country to another chain if u go to uni or when u get home :smile: Good luck choosing :smile:
Reply 3
I work in Sainsburys and its a nice enough place to work, but I think that if the pay was similar I would choose Vue. Just seems a bit more interesting. Free films too!
Reply 4
Would you get more benefits with Vue? Maybe get to see a couple of films or discounts perhaps...
Reply 5
I'd choose the cinema!
Reply 6
Sainsburys Is Nearer And Pays 6. 30 While Vue Pays 5.10 . Oh I Dont No , I Would Love To Work Atthe Cinema But Cleaning Is Involved.
I'd personally choose Sainsbury's.

As much as I would probably enjoy the perks and benefits of Vue, but job security is more important to me.

I would think of it this way, the cinema only has a few departments. The chances of flexibility are slim, so if the credit crunch continues to bite, naturally people will stop visiting the cinema, so the cinema would have to reduce the size of the workforce. As it only has a few departments, the chances of moving department is slim and redundancies will have to happen.

However, Sainsbury's may pay less (or slightly more in some cases), but customers will still need food regardless of how much money they have, so your job is more secure. It's also flexible on departments - so if one department isn't your thing, you could always move?

Good Luck!
Reply 8
daniel250121
Sainsburys Is Nearer And Pays 6. 30 While Vue Pays 5.10 . Oh I Dont No , I Would Love To Work Atthe Cinema But Cleaning Is Involved.

every job involves cleaning. i'd say sainsburys more people, more friends to be made. makes the job less boring. being at morrisons nearly 3 years and i don't actual hate working there now as everyone is a friend.
IMO it depends on what department you will be in with sainsburys

i would choose vue though, is it the one in greenwich o2?
WhereIsMyMind
I'd personally choose Sainsbury's.

As much as I would probably enjoy the perks and benefits of Vue, but job security is more important to me.

I would think of it this way, the cinema only has a few departments. The chances of flexibility are slim, so if the credit crunch continues to bite, naturally people will stop visiting the cinema, so the cinema would have to reduce the size of the workforce. As it only has a few departments, the chances of moving department is slim and redundancies will have to happen.

However, Sainsbury's may pay less (or slightly more in some cases), but customers will still need food regardless of how much money they have, so your job is more secure. It's also flexible on departments - so if one department isn't your thing, you could always move?

Good Luck!

Don't comment on things when you're clearly wrong. There is absolutely no evidence that cinema's are doing badly in the credit crunch. In fact at the one i work at we are doing better business than ever as people cannot afford to go too far from home so going to the cinema is a far cheaper activity than, say, a theme park. With summer coming up all cinemas will be looking at expanding to deal with the summer rush with films such as Harry Potter and hours will be plentiful. Also the flexibility of the job is amazing with hours not set as it varies depending on film timetables etc and as long as you give reasonable notice you can get off any days you need. As with the point about departments, it is very likely the person will not have a set department. The lowest staff tend to be on different things each shift, not including the projection rooms obviously.

To conclude, don't talk crap.
Reply 11
gunners r us
IMO it depends on what department you will be in with sainsburys

i would choose vue though, is it the one in greenwich o2?

no the one in croydon ,as much as i thinki would have enjoyed working at vue i choose sainsburys,more pay , am working on the checkouts
daniel250121
no the one in croydon ,as much as i thinki would have enjoyed working at vue i choose sainsburys,more pay , am working on the checkouts

oh lord, checkouts :s-smilie:
i hope you like it
daniel250121

Well I'd take sainsbury's just for the money.
Rock n Roll
Don't comment on things when you're clearly wrong. There is absolutely no evidence that cinema's are doing badly in the credit crunch. In fact at the one i work at we are doing better business than ever as people cannot afford to go too far from home so going to the cinema is a far cheaper activity than, say, a theme park. With summer coming up all cinemas will be looking at expanding to deal with the summer rush with films such as Harry Potter and hours will be plentiful. Also the flexibility of the job is amazing with hours not set as it varies depending on film timetables etc and as long as you give reasonable notice you can get off any days you need. As with the point about departments, it is very likely the person will not have a set department. The lowest staff tend to be on different things each shift, not including the projection rooms obviously.

To conclude, don't talk crap.

I think you'll find the general consensus, is that cinemas and lesuire activities have declined. Not increased.

And I'll think you'll find I wasn't talking crap :smile:
WhereIsMyMind
I think you'll find the general consensus, is that cinemas and lesuire activities have declined. Not increased.

And I'll think you'll find I wasn't talking crap :smile:

Maybe so for other leisure activities but certainly not for cinema's so please please please stop talking this rubbish.
Reply 16
Rock n Roll
Maybe so for other leisure activities but certainly not for cinema's so please please please stop talking this rubbish.

I disagree with this comment. WhereIsMyMind is right in saying that, because, people don't NEEEED to go the cinema and stuff and everybody neeeeds supermarkets. It was a common-sense derived comment that can be disagreed with (if you want to, which you obviously do) so y'know, I think your comment that WhereIsMyMind is talking crap is out of line... at the end of the day, we just want to help the OP choose from 2 workplaces, not argue about which is a more secure job. Obviously, that is a factor, but it doesn't warrant childish insults.
Lukely
I disagree with this comment. WhereIsMyMind is right in saying that, because, people don't NEEEED to go the cinema and stuff and everybody neeeeds supermarkets. It was a common-sense derived comment that can be disagreed with (if you want to, which you obviously do) so y'know, I think your comment that WhereIsMyMind is talking crap is out of line... at the end of the day, we just want to help the OP choose from 2 workplaces, not argue about which is a more secure job. Obviously, that is a factor, but it doesn't warrant childish insults.

My argument is based on fact whereas his is based on theory....

At our regular team meetings we are informed on how our particular cinema company is doing and business is booming for us at the moment. We recently took on a lot more staff and with summer holidays approaching there is no chance of redundancies with employees being asked to work as many hours as possible. Please keep your mouth shut and don't pretend to know things.
Reply 18
Rock n Roll
My argument is based on fact whereas his is based on theory....

At our regular team meetings we are informed on how our particular cinema company is doing and business is booming for us at the moment. We recently took on a lot more staff and with summer holidays approaching there is no chance of redundancies with employees being asked to work as many hours as possible. Please keep your mouth shut and don't pretend to know things.

And that's fine, but I'm saying it's true people don't need to go to the cinema, that's all true - everybody needs food right and fyi, even if the case may be that you're booming [gfu] it still remains that people have the right to have their say here and not to be told they're talking crap. Attitude failure. :woo:
Reply 19
Rock n Roll

wow your really defensive about it innit , you would think you own a cinema lool

Latest

Trending

Trending