The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

**** Post-Grad Accommodation - $$$ ****

Hello All,

I'm due to start my post-grad studies in September and have just received my offer of accommodation. Its a self-catered, single, ensuite room in the David Russell apartments.

However, I'm absolutely blown away by the cost, which stands at around £6,600 for a 52 week contract! Needless to say, I simply can't afford this amount. So I have two questions:

(1) has anyone else received a cheaper offer for post-grad accommodation? If so, where and how much?

(2) can anyone point me in the direction of a decent private landlord who may have a cheaper room available?

Any [constructive] help or suggestions will be warmly received, as will any general comments vis. St Andrews halls

Cheers!
There's a messageboard called The Sinner (which you can find by googling), where people advertise spare rooms in houses/flats. You might be able to find something there.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
la_banane_verte
There's a messageboard called The Sinner (which you can find by googling), where people advertise spare rooms in houses/flats. You might be able to find something there.

Thanks, I've just put up an add
Reply 3
Fife Park (if they're still using it next year...I think they are!) and Albany Park are both cheaper self-catered postgrad accommodation options.
elle jay
Fife Park (if they're still using it next year...I think they are!) and Albany Park are both cheaper self-catered postgrad accommodation options.

I am not saying that it isn't worth trying to get transfered into one of these halls from DRA, but I know a LOT of people who get put in DRA and can't afford it - there are too many people for the uni to move elsewhere.

I think la_banane_verte's suggestion is a more realistic option - good luck with finding somewhere more affordable. If it's any consolation, far too many people get lumbered with DRA's unacceptable wallet-rape, so you're not alone :smile:
It's St Andrews. You won't find anything that could be described as cheap, and most certainly not in the private market. (it costs more to rent there than in my part of London! :O)
Reply 6
Bella_trixxx
It's St Andrews. You won't find anything that could be described as cheap, and most certainly not in the private market. (it costs more to rent there than in my part of London! :O)

I've just accpeted a room in a different hall of residence....for £3,500 on a year contract!! That's over £3,000 cheaper than my first offer. Victory! :woo:
Reply 7
I've accepted a room in Gannochy House, for about £3,500. Could anyone tell me a bit about the halls and what to expect? Thanks.
Reply 8
I've not seen the bedrooms in Gannochy, just the common area, but they seemed to really have a good community going on there where they all know each other and hang out which is nice. Can't really give you much other info except that it's right in town which is a big advantage over a lot of the other postgrad housing.
Reply 9
Great, thanks!
Reply 10
Hi Evereybody,

I will probably study the MSc course at the University of St Andrews, but face a problem with finding an accommodation in St Andrews. Can anybody advise what to do? I'm going to study there alone and I'd like to live in the University Hall. Preferably, Deans court or at least in the self-catered (not en-suite) hall. I have already applied for an accommodation, but there is not any available place.

Latest

Trending

Trending