The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Ustinov college

Is it always possible to get a room at ustinov and what's it like? Whats the social life like? What's the proportion of international/home students?
Ustinov is for post graduates only.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Lizyork
Is it always possible to get a room at ustinov and what's it like? Whats the social life like? What's the proportion of international/home students?

Hi there

As per the website, postgraduate accommodation is guaranteed by the university only for international students for the academic year 2024-25. This could include Ustinov but obviously could include the other colleges also. If you're a home student, I wouldn't say accommodation is guaranteed, either in the university or just Ustinov. I can't really say what the proportion of international and home students is as colleges don't give out any official statistics but from what I've found, all colleges have a good mix of both.

These blogs written by Ustinov students will give you a much better idea of what life is like there:
The living in college experience- by Stephanie Black
Studying an MA in Intercultural Communication and Education- by Frida - Here she talks about being part of Ustinov
Durham- A transformative experience by Paula

Hope this helps!

-Himieka
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MumofAleveller
Ustinov is for post graduates only.

Yes I'm fully aware of that. I'm asking as a post grad
Reply 4
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there
As per the website, postgraduate accommodation is guaranteed by the university only for international students for the academic year 2024-25. This could include Ustinov but obviously could include the other colleges also. If you're a home student, I wouldn't say accommodation is guaranteed, either in the university or just Ustinov. I can't really say what the proportion of international and home students is as colleges don't give out any official statistics but from what I've found, all colleges have a good mix of both.
These blogs written by Ustinov students will give you a much better idea of what life is like there:
The living in college experience- by Stephanie Black
Studying an MA in Intercultural Communication and Education- by Frida - Here she talks about being part of Ustinov
Durham- A transformative experience by Paula
Hope this helps!
-Himieka

Thanks so you might accept a place at Durham and then discover you have no accommodation at all and maybe no college??
Original post by Lizyork
Thanks so you might accept a place at Durham and then discover you have no accommodation at all and maybe no college??
Well you would always have a college but whether or not you get a room in that college will not be guaranteed. Many students, especially postgrads, tend to live outside of college in shared houses or studios. There's a facebook group where you can find other students looking for housing + houses getting advertised: Durham Uni Find a Housemate

Here are some other links that I used in my house search and may be of help:
1. Spareroom: https://www.spareroom.co.uk/
2. Sturents: https://sturents.com/
3. Gumtree: https://www.gumtree.com/
4. Student letting agencies websites like Harringtons, Frampton & Roebuck, Nicholas Humphreys etc.
5. Student accommodations like Ernest Place, Student Castle, Houghall Court, The Village @ Viaduct, Unite Students: https://www.accommodationforstudents.com/durham

Hope that helps. If you need more information, feel free to send questions here or email the postgraduate accommodation team at [email protected]

-Himieka
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 6
Thanks thats really useful. It seems you don't hear till July so is it possible to hope for college accommodation but have a back up plan in case of none as I'm thinking July would be quite late to find alternatives?
Original post by Lizyork
Thanks thats really useful. It seems you don't hear till July so is it possible to hope for college accommodation but have a back up plan in case of none as I'm thinking July would be quite late to find alternatives?

Yes, I would definitely have a backup. You can look into different properties and narrow down your options but I'd advise against signing any leases until you hear from the university about college accommodation.

Private housing is generally available throughout the year so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest