The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

milady
But, if she is trying to throw up - you've really got to stop this.
Because it may be like this now, but if for some reason she gets depressed, or is going through a bad stage in her life, it may develop into bulimia.
It's so easy to go from just a guilty attempt at purging to the endless nightmare that is bulimia (or any anorexic disorder) - and never being able to really consider food in the same light again.

It is far too wasy to get sucked into the hell that is living with an eating disorder, but they are not incurable - many people can and do go on to live completely normal lives where their disorted thoughts never return.
Reply 41
milady
Yeah, i think people do know - bulimics usually know they have a problem, though people with anorexia sometimes don't realise it.
I think the reason people do it... I don't think it's about attention - the opposite is probably true, they'd rather not anyone know.

*agrees*

it's something to be ashamed about, not just because of the way it's portrayed, but if you're making yourself sick you know it's just not normal. and considering we live in such a fashion conscious world, being abnormal is not something desirable. maybe the whole not eating might be "cool" in some ways, but bulimia is something to be really embarrassed about.
Lozza
*agrees*

it's something to be ashamed about, not just because of the way it's portrayed, but if you're making yourself sick you know it's just not normal. and considering we live in such a fashion conscious world, being abnormal is not something desirable. maybe the whole not eating might be "cool" in some ways, but bulimia is something to be really embarrassed about.

:eek: :mad: :eek:

Are you for real?! Yes, people *do* feel embarassed and ashamed of their behaviour (much the same as self-harmers do) but the point is that they shouldn't!!! You wouldn't be ashamed or embarassed if you had cancer or diabetes or epilespy and bulimia is a illness just the same. It is this kind of attitude that adds to the stigma attached to eating disorders (especially bulimia) and makes it increasingly difficult for sufferers to tell anyone about it. If people were more understanding and accepting and DIDN'T make sufferers feel even more guilty and ashamed than they already do (you have to remember that the majority of sufferers have cripplingly low self esteem to start with) then maybe more people would be willing to open up and tell friends/family/see their GP.

Reply 43
*starbuck*
:eek: :mad: :eek:

Are you for real?! Yes, people *do* feel embarassed and ashamed of their behaviour (much the same as self-harmers do) but the point is that they shouldn't!!! You wouldn't be ashamed or embarassed if you had cancer or diabetes or epilespy and bulimia is a illness just the same. It is this kind of attitude that adds to the stigma attached to eating disorders (especially bulimia) and makes it increasingly difficult for sufferers to tell anyone about it. If people were more understanding and accepting and DIDN'T make sufferers feel even more guilty and ashamed than they already do (you have to remember that the majority of sufferers have cripplingly low self esteem to start with) then maybe more people would be willing to open up and tell friends/family/see their GP.

yes i am for real. i've been there and done it, and i'm really ashamed about it. and i think it's something i should be ashamed about because it's not normal to do it, and i think i was a total nutcase for doing it. i know how i felt then...and i'm convinced if someone had sat me down and told me how foolish i was, then it would probably never have really happened.

as it is, i still have problems with eating and weight and stuff. but i dont have low self esteem, in fact i have quite a big ego :smile: but there's no way i could tell any of my friends about what i think about food etc, because they'd think i was crazy.
You obviously have some serious issues going on somewhere if you are ashamed about it...have you had therapy? You are right in that it is not normal, but it does not make you a total nutcase. It is an illness and you were not responsible for your actions as you were not in control, the ED was. Similarly you were not foolish - you were ill. Nobody needs to sit me down and tell me how bad what I am doing is for me, they could spout logic and medical fact to me all day long, they would not be telling me anything I do not already know and this is the case with many bulimics (not so much anorexics I don't think) but it does not make the slightest bit of difference so I think you are being a little naive in thinking that it would have changed anything.

They probably would think you are crazy...but the point is that they shouldn't because you're not. Being judgemental and labelling people a freak does nothing but exacerbate an already debiliatating disease - you of all people (being an ex-sufferer) should know that. I am glad you do not post on the ED board that I post on, as people go there for support and understanding from people in the same situation, not to be ridiculed and made to feel even worse. :mad:
people just calm down a moment alright? :smile:

people with eating disorders are usually either not aware of the problem, or they are and try to hide it. i have been through almost every sort, but people couldn't really notice because i never showed it, and i was never overweight or severely underweight. i was a bit underweight when i was anorexic, but not a lot...and people only sort of noticed cos i lost 17 lbs in less than 2 weeks.

people who are aware of their ED's ARE ashamed of themselves and their ED's, that is why those who are aware of it hide it. they tend to obsess about every little bit of their diet and daily food consumption, and a little over the "limit" and set off the guilt alarm and triggers further depression, which can lead to a series of emotional binging and then compensational behaviour (the latter depends on the type of ED...details in the ED & Support thread). Patients should be supported instead of blamed for their problems, because telling them how "stupid" they are, or telling them to "eat more" or "lose weight" only make them feel evern worse and diminish their self-esteem even more. Patients do not want to have an ED in the first place (unless they're simply-attention seeking...and THOSE wouldn't hide their "problems, but majority is not) but whenever something goes wrong that day, they seeked for comfort food. It's a psycological problem that takes time and effort to make it better, and the most important thing is to help the patients realise that when they feel depressed, they're not alone and always have someone else to count on other than food.
Reply 46
ant87
if someone occassionally tries to make themselves sick after meals, but never really succeeds, and is relatively in other areas of their life, does this person have bulimia/other eating problem?

how occasionally is occassionally? according to my psycology topic 'abnormality', you only have bullimia if you binge and purge (can be any compensatory beheaviour for eating so i guess even TRYING to make yourself sick counts) 2 or three times a week for two months or more.

but i dont think that classification is right...i mean if they have been doing this whole business of making themselves sick for a while (and are in denial of this), chances are that they have some problem be it bulimia or personal probs they need to sort out..

hope that helps
Reply 47
hellooooo
how occasionally is occassionally?

maybe once a month, every once in a while. i dont really know why. thanks everyone for your help.xx
Reply 48
twice a week for 3 months isn't actually very much at all. It may sound like it but when I first read that I was shocked that the criteria were so relaxed, whereas for anorexia they are much stricter.

Latest

Trending

Trending