The Student Room Group

Teaching Occupational Health Assessment

Does anyone know what will lead to an applicant being determined 'unfit to teach'?

I already have my teaching offer but I am worried that my two suicide attempts (within the last year) will lead to me being deemed unfit to teach.

Apart from that , I am a top university graduate and I have worked with children in an educational setting many times. Even since my attempts.

Please can someone give me some advice?
Original post by Dariaandahsfan
Does anyone know what will lead to an applicant being determined 'unfit to teach'?

I already have my teaching offer but I am worried that my two suicide attempts (within the last year) will lead to me being deemed unfit to teach.

Apart from that , I am a top university graduate and I have worked with children in an educational setting many times. Even since my attempts.

Dear @Dariaandahsfan

I am so sorry to hear that you've attempted to take your life. Have you been able to recover from what led you to making that decision? If not, please do reach out to your doctor and get the help you need.

In regards to the fitness to teach assessment, different providers do different things but generally, they are looking at how they would need to do to support you and make sure that there wouldn't be any safe-guarding issues. They do have a duty of care to make sure that you are ok in both physical and mental health. I've not heard of anyone refused access to their courses for the reason that you are worried about.

All the very best for a fulfilling teaching carer,

Jane :smile:

Hello!

I am worried for a similar reason. I have ADHD and bulimia and just had my phone call. She has requested to see me in person once the health unit on the uni is open again. I have had major improvements in the last 6 months, which I talked about, but I am so worried that she will fail me. I know I am not any danger to people or myself.
Original post by Get into Teaching
Dear @Dariaandahsfan

I am so sorry to hear that you've attempted to take your life. Have you been able to recover from what led you to making that decision? If not, please do reach out to your doctor and get the help you need.

In regards to the fitness to teach assessment, different providers do different things but generally, they are looking at how they would need to do to support you and make sure that there wouldn't be any safe-guarding issues. They do have a duty of care to make sure that you are ok in both physical and mental health. I've not heard of anyone refused access to their courses for the reason that you are worried about.

All the very best for a fulfilling teaching carer,

Jane :smile:

Dear Jane,

Thank you very much for your response. Yes, I believe I have recovered and I am doing very well currently.

I understand that different providers do things differently. I will contact my ITT programme to ask specifically :smile:

Thank you for your help, it has consoled me greatly! :smile:
Original post by Sulphuricacid
Hello!

I am worried for a similar reason. I have ADHD and bulimia and just had my phone call. She has requested to see me in person once the health unit on the uni is open again. I have had major improvements in the last 6 months, which I talked about, but I am so worried that she will fail me. I know I am not any danger to people or myself.

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm glad there's someone else out there who understands the feeling :frown: I guess we will just have to wait and see! Did she sound like she was going to fail you? Hopefully they will not discriminate!
Thank you very much for your comments. I'm glad there's someone else out there who understands the feeling :frown: I guess we will just have to wait and see! Did she sound like she was going to fail you? Hopefully they will not discriminate!

She just said she would like to see me in person to see how I am and that she wasn't happy signing off having not met me. I know I'm not a risk and my doctor's would say that too, so if she isn't happy after meeting I will ask for her to talk to my doctor.
I hope we are both okay. Let us know how you get on.
Reply 6
Hey, sorry to drag up an old thread but how did it go for you guys? I'm in treatment for bulimia and have a PGCE offer for September and I'm worried I won't be deemed fit to teach
Hey, can anyone update this thread on how it went? I’m in the same position for this year! Please help!
Original post by franrm
Hey, sorry to drag up an old thread but how did it go for you guys? I'm in treatment for bulimia and have a PGCE offer for September and I'm worried I won't be deemed fit to teach

Hey, can you let me know if you got on okay and if you had any issues getting a job after - I’m in the same position!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending