Reply 40
RxB
Did you have a gap year?

Yup.. two gap years.
bump
Reply 42
H&E
Teehee. Did you actually C&P that off your draft PS? :rolleyes:

Haven't drafted it yet - but its nice to see that Oxford students aren't patronising AND judgemental. :frown:
If I really wanted to apply for a course because of the prestige, would I be on a student forum asking questions which anyone who went to a school that sent a lot of people on to do courses like PPE would already know??
Reply 43
Calm down, I was only taking the piss. And it was a very sophisticated and polished response! Surely you don't speak like that?

EDIT: I could add that it's nice to see Oxbridge applicants aren't tightly wound or incapable of taking a joke. But I'm not going to. Coz I'm mature, like :biggrin:
Actually what are the possible careers after earning the PPE degree?
Reply 45
Reply 46
Everything except medicine.
Reply 47
Hey I'm studying PPE at the moment (not at Oxford) and I've read some stuff about the possible career choices afterwards and I was just wondering how easy it is to get onto Law after finishing your BA in PPE? Also, how easy would it be to take your BA in PPE and then go to a different university to do an MA in one of the three branches? I can't really find a 'requirements' page for something like that. (And I'm not just talking about doing Law or an MA in Oxford, I meant unis in general - I doubt Oxford or Cambridge would let me in through the front gates, let alone onto an MA course :wink: )
Reply 48
H&E
Calm down, I was only taking the piss. And it was a very sophisticated and polished response! Surely you don't speak like that?

EDIT: I could add that it's nice to see Oxbridge applicants aren't tightly wound or incapable of taking a joke. But I'm not going to. Coz I'm mature, like :biggrin:

That response really made me laugh! Sorry, I was 'tightly wound' at the time, because a few of my teachers (one of whom did PPE at Oxford) have been trying to discourage me from applying, and it's made me very defensive. I still haven't decided what to do, and the clock certainly is ticking. Most people have done their personal statements, and I haven't even chosen my courses!
Reply 49
Queen_A
Most people have done their personal statements

What? Really? Or do they just claim they have?
Reply 50
Queen_A
That response really made me laugh! Sorry, I was 'tightly wound' at the time, because a few of my teachers (one of whom did PPE at Oxford) have been trying to discourage me from applying, and it's made me very defensive. I still haven't decided what to do, and the clock certainly is ticking. Most people have done their personal statements, and I haven't even chosen my courses!

Most excellent. Don't worry about not doing your PS. I didn't choose course till about September. Then promptly changed my mind a couple of months after getting my offer...

And never, ever let your teachers discourage you from applying. They're there to help you get what you want, not tell you what you want!
Reply 51
RxB
What? Really? Or do they just claim they have?

Really. My school wanted them in before the end of term for Oxbridge and medicine applications - I read a few of my friends - one v. good one for law. I can't start until I know whether I want to do PPE at Warwick & Durham as well as Ox, Manc and York.
Reply 52
That's your school being lazy - teachers don't want to cope with the stress of having lots of PS's to read through in September.

If you want some advice on PS feel free to PM me, btw, as a Hist & Econ I should be able to help.
Reply 53
We've all done at least the first drafts of our personal statements. But then again, my school is really very fussy.

Could I beg for someone to look at mine? Applying for PPE, btw.
Reply 54
I'll do it if you want.
This thread is very helpful, thanks a lot!

I'm planning to apply for PPE at Oxford for 2006 entry, but the problem here is I don't want to apply for PPE in my other five choices.

I am keen on Asian Politics and Marxist ideology and philosophy but it's quite hard to get a good job in my hometown with a politics degree unless it is from a prestigious place like Oxford. ( Sad but true...)

Therefore I may apply for Econ&Maths, Management Science and Accounting&Finance in other universities like LSE and Durham.

I'm very very very worried about my personal statement. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Btw, my AS subjects are Government&Politics, Economics, Maths and Further Maths .

PS: I Finished A-level Maths this year and will do Further Maths A-level next year.

Thanks very much in advance. :smile:
Reply 57
That's the trouble with mine, albeit not as big. Economics & Philosophy at four places, and PPE at two.
If anyone wants me to look oover their Personal Statement then send me an e-mail at [email protected] I would however warn that your school university aplications officer si almost certainly vetter equipped to judge what needs changing.

(if you send me an e-mail please put personal statement somewhere in the title or else your mail may end up in the junk)
Reply 59
oh ffs, if you're not interested in PPE don't apply for it. I don't believe that you can be interested enough to do it if you don't want to apply for it anywhere else. If you're applying on the prestige, good luck, I guess, I wouldn't hold any hope out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending