The Student Room Group

Oxford PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Dear Student Room users,For anyone considering applying to PPE or Economics related subjects, Merton college has set up a twitter account (ran by me, an E&Mer, and a PPEist) to answer all questions you might have about the course, the college and just anything in general.Follow and tweet at @MertonPPEplus for quick answers from current students. We remember what it's like to be in your position so don't be hesitant to ask any questions you have! Best,Matt
I'm trying to decide whether to apply for PPE at Oxford

In terms of grades I am strong (10A*s at GCSE and all A's at AS with high UMS) but I know how important the TSA is..

I'm not getting great scores in it, my past three scores have gone 63.6 60.8 and 56.7

Clearly the last one is terrible and would be a guaranteed rejection without interview

I don't know which of those scores are the best indicator of my ability

What should I do? Should I apply anyway even though I have a history of poor TSA scores?

Thanks for any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
I'm trying to decide whether to apply for PPE at Oxford

In terms of grades I am strong (10A*s at GCSE and all A's at AS with high UMS) but I know how important the TSA is..

I'm not getting great scores in it, my past three scores have gone 63.6 60.8 and 56.7

Clearly the last one is terrible and would be a guaranteed rejection without interview

I don't know which of those scores are the best indicator of my ability

What should I do? Should I apply anyway even though I have a history of poor TSA scores?

Thanks for any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to do PPE apply, your TSA scores as they stand, probably won't secure interviews however. Strong chance at LSE, Warwick, UCL etc though.
Is it possible to do separate personal statements for different unis? Could I apply for PPE at oxford but pure economics at other unis?
Original post by amelienine
Is it possible to do separate personal statements for different unis? Could I apply for PPE at oxford but pure economics at other unis?

no
Original post by hunter0raf42
no

Yes.
Hi there,

If I am predicted AAA at A-level but achieved BBC at AS, I want an absolute confirmation that there's zero point applying. I want to avoid an embarrassing conversation with my Head of Year who recently politely suggested I bow out of our school's Oxbridge prep program along with others who underachieved. I know it's highly unlikely I would get in, but I don't know if I now should go through the hassle of getting her agreement to apply there just in case. My overwhelming gut feeling is it would be utterly futile, but there's just a small part of me that says do it anyway for the bants.
What score do you need to get an interview for PPE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What score do you need to get an interview for PPE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no hard and fast rule because there are a number of variables being considered, but in previous years the average was over 70, to give you an idea.
Original post by Pars12
Yes.

care to expand?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's no hard and fast rule because there are a number of variables being considered, but in previous years the average was over 70, to give you an idea.

Average for those receiving offers or those getting interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Average for those receiving offers or those getting interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was offers. So it's probably a little lower (but not much) for interviews.

Look at Keble as an example. They interviewed 2.75 times as many people as received offers in 2014 and they were wanting above 61.8 on the TSA at absolute minimum to get an interview.
http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/ppe2014/

This is going to vary a little by college, but not by much.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That was offers. So it's probably a little lower (but not much) for interviews.

Look at Keble as an example. They interviewed 2.75 times as many people as received offers in 2014 and they were wanting above 61.8 on the TSA at absolute minimum to get an interview.
http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/ppe2014/

This is going to vary a little by college, but not by much.

So does that mean if you only just got an interview ie. you got around 61.8-63 you would have to really smash your interview?

Or does it depend on all the factors eg GCSEs etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
So does that mean if you only just got an interview ie. you got around 61.8-63 you would have to really smash your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My picture of it is that they weigh up a few things at the select-for-interview stage, but the TSA result is dominant in the mix.
Original post by SunnysideSea
care to expand?

Durham allow an alternative personal statement. If you submit one their admissions tutors are not allowed to read the UCAS version on file. Somebody posted that there are other universities out there with this facility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a FOI response from Oxford showing percentages of acceptances versus TSA scores for PPE applicants. They've used percentages instead of numbers but of course the lowest percentage in any one column will be for a single student so you can work backwards from that.

Quite a few people with high TSA scores get rejected but the proportion accepted does increase as you go up so there is some correlation.
It's usually closer to 65 to get an interview:

Obviously it varies from college to college but Keble offers 'admisisons feedback' which is useful for reference. Here is the 2015 feedback:
http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/ppe-2015/

I currently study PPE at Balliol and didn't get above 70.
Reply 7537
I have applied to New College & have an interview in December. I have been prepping so far by reading as widely as possible, but having not studied Philosophy or Economics before I am really unsure how much technical knowledge I would be expected to have of these subjects. Apologies if this has already been discussed!
Original post by lucye7
I have applied to New College & have an interview in December. I have been prepping so far by reading as widely as possible, but having not studied Philosophy or Economics before I am really unsure how much technical knowledge I would be expected to have of these subjects. Apologies if this has already been discussed!

I'm in the exact same predicament! Hope someone responds to this
You won't be expected to have any technical knowledge at all.

For philosophy you'll be expected to be able to construct a sound argument and to understand and raise objections to others' arguments (sound or otherwise).

For economics, you'll be expected (in addition) to have a good level of mathematics and a minimal understanding of society and human psychology (nothing that you'd have to have studied for) in order to apply economic thinking, when it's introduced to you, to real world problems and scenarios.

In both cases what's being tested is your ability to think and argue in the right way rather than any specific knowledge (apart from of maths, in the economics case).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending