The Student Room Group

Oxford PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Estreth
You won't be expected to have any technical knowledge at all.

For philosophy you'll be expected to be able to construct a sound argument and to understand and raise objections to others' arguments (sound or otherwise).

For economics, you'll be expected (in addition) to have a good level of mathematics and a minimal understanding of society and human psychology (nothing that you'd have to have studied for) in order to apply economic thinking, when it's introduced to you, to real world problems and scenarios.

In both cases what's being tested is your ability to think and argue in the right way rather than any specific knowledge (apart from of maths, in the economics case).

Hi there! I don't mean to doubt anything you've said, but are you speaking strictly from experience? If so, did you have no prior knowledge about economics as well before sitting for the interview?
Original post by Kisuke
Hi there! I don't mean to doubt anything you've said, but are you speaking strictly from experience? If so, did you have no prior knowledge about economics as well before sitting for the interview?

Experience of Oxford interviews, yes; experience of economics interviews, no. But it's a point about Oxford interviews in general that you're not expected to show knowledge of (as opposed to interest in and aptitude for) subjects you haven't studied.
Original post by lucye7
I have applied to New College & have an interview in December. I have been prepping so far by reading as widely as possible, but having not studied Philosophy or Economics before I am really unsure how much technical knowledge I would be expected to have of these subjects. Apologies if this has already been discussed!

Hey there,
I'm a first year PPE student and, although I did econ before, I hadn't done any politics or philosophy and many of my coursemates also hadn't done any econ.

The tutors will be sensitive to the fact that you haven't studied a subject before- they gave many of us a maths problem and then taught us an economic concept from the math science problem.

For philosophy, an hour before the interview they sat me down in the library and gave me a list of philosophical questions about moral choices and how knowledge works- that may sound scary but that actually gave me time to prepare some answers to before the interview had even started.

Read widely and be brave in the interview, and you'll be fine
Reply 7543
Thank you! What college are you at if you don't mind me asking? Also how complicated was the maths involved? I have studied A Level maths but am currently on a gap year so will briefly refresh my memory of core principles like differentiation & integration, should this be enough?

I am feeling really unprepared as I just have no idea what to expect from the interview as it seems to vary so much from college to college.

Original post by Abzo321
Hey there,
I'm a first year PPE student and, although I did econ before, I hadn't done any politics or philosophy and many of my coursemates also hadn't done any econ.

The tutors will be sensitive to the fact that you haven't studied a subject before- they gave many of us a maths problem and then taught us an economic concept from the math science problem.

For philosophy, an hour before the interview they sat me down in the library and gave me a list of philosophical questions about moral choices and how knowledge works- that may sound scary but that actually gave me time to prepare some answers to before the interview had even started.

Read widely and be brave in the interview, and you'll be fine
Original post by lucye7
Thank you! What college are you at if you don't mind me asking? Also how complicated was the maths involved? I have studied A Level maths but am currently on a gap year so will briefly refresh my memory of core principles like differentiation & integration, should this be enough?

I am feeling really unprepared as I just have no idea what to expect from the interview as it seems to vary so much from college to college.

I had finished A-level maths early so I was in a similar position, not having done it for some months. I did some edecxel C3 papers to prepare but im thinking now that briefly going over differentiation might help. They shouldn't need you to do integration as we don't even need it for first year economics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi! I was just worried that I may not have the upper hand when applying to oxford for PPE. I have 10 A*'s at GSCE, and am currently doing A Level Geography, Economics and Biology. I am also taking Maths but only to AS. I also have a good, wide range of extra curricular activities. I have just started MUN this year, but I know lots of applicants have had much more experience with it. Although I don't have ideal subjects (history/ politics/ full maths a level), If I read thoroughly and have good TSA score, do I have a chance of getting into Oxford? Help would be much appreciated!
Original post by lahm2017
Hi! I was just worried that I may not have the upper hand when applying to oxford for PPE. I have 10 A*'s at GSCE, and am currently doing A Level Geography, Economics and Biology. I am also taking Maths but only to AS. I also have a good, wide range of extra curricular activities. I have just started MUN this year, but I know lots of applicants have had much more experience with it. Although I don't have ideal subjects (history/ politics/ full maths a level), If I read thoroughly and have good TSA score, do I have a chance of getting into Oxford? Help would be much appreciated!

Nothing you said there specifically rules you out. Do you just have general anxieties about applying, or is there something that puts you off trying? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :smile:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Nothing you said there specifically rules you out. Do you just have general anxieties about applying, or is there something that puts you off trying? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :smile:

Whilst that is true, I would recommend doing A2 Maths. You can learn it online (examsolutions.net) and/or using the textbooks (which I imagine your school will happily lend you). I know at my school they won't support an Oxford PPE application without a full Maths A-level, so whilst it's not impossible to get an offer with AS Maths, doing A2 is probably a good idea. Are you doing the AS over 1 year? If so, you can do A2 over the summer.
Hi, I'd just like to check if I have a realistic chance of getting into Oxford to do PPE.
I'm planning to apply for Christ church college.
GCSEs- 4A*s and 6As (A*s in Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Music)
I'm studying English Lit, History and Religious Studies at A-Level, and we don't do AS for those subjects anymore but I'm predicted A*AA (A* in History) as my actual results. I'm also doing an EPQ about surveillance on the internet.
I do a lot of extra curricular stuff to do with politics, I do a lot of extra reading and I keep up to date with current affairs. I've never studied economics but a lot of my extra reading is to do with economics and I will be doing a lot more extra reading around economics over the Summer. I'm just worried because most of the advice I've read on the PPE at Oxford threads says that I should have studied maths to at least AS. I'm good at maths, I would say, and I do enjoy it, but I just didn't want to take it for A-Level as it didn't compliment my other subjects very well and it looked like the choice was going to be between History and Maths. At my school we don't do AS levels in most subjects so if I'd taken four subjects then I would have to study maths for the whole two years.
Should I study some A-level maths over the Summer just to get my bearings? Should I read around economics more instead? Should I do both????? Help!
Original post by Tararigchung
Hi, I'd just like to check if I have a realistic chance of getting into Oxford to do PPE.
I'm planning to apply for Christ church college.
GCSEs- 4A*s and 6As (A*s in Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Music)
I'm studying English Lit, History and Religious Studies at A-Level, and we don't do AS for those subjects anymore but I'm predicted A*AA (A* in History) as my actual results. I'm also doing an EPQ about surveillance on the internet.
I do a lot of extra curricular stuff to do with politics, I do a lot of extra reading and I keep up to date with current affairs. I've never studied economics but a lot of my extra reading is to do with economics and I will be doing a lot more extra reading around economics over the Summer. I'm just worried because most of the advice I've read on the PPE at Oxford threads says that I should have studied maths to at least AS. I'm good at maths, I would say, and I do enjoy it, but I just didn't want to take it for A-Level as it didn't compliment my other subjects very well and it looked like the choice was going to be between History and Maths. At my school we don't do AS levels in most subjects so if I'd taken four subjects then I would have to study maths for the whole two years.
Should I study some A-level maths over the Summer just to get my bearings? Should I read around economics more instead? Should I do both????? Help!

I'm in a similar situation where I want to study PPE at Oxford, but don't study Maths. I would suggest that you should read Maths over Summer, which is what I attend to do. Reading over Economics is also relevant but reading over Maths is more important, as Economics at Uni contains a lot of Maths. Congrats on your excellent GCSE results.

1. How long are you taking EPQ for? Can you take EPQ in one year?
2. Can't you study AS Maths at a test center outside of school, or is that not possible anymore?
Original post by Gabz35
I'm in a similar situation where I want to study PPE at Oxford, but don't study Maths. I would suggest that you should read Maths over Summer, which is what I attend to do. Reading over Economics is also relevant but reading over Maths is more important, as Economics at Uni contains a lot of Maths. Congrats on your excellent GCSE results.

1. How long are you taking EPQ for? Can you take EPQ in one year?
2. Can't you study AS Maths at a test center outside of school, or is that not possible anymore?

1. Yeah, I'm just coming to the end of the timeline for my EPQ and I'm getting it over with in year 12.
2. I think you can but I just have so much work to do. I think I'm going to get one of my friends who does maths a level to help me get my bearings.
Reply 7552
Hi,

I've just got back my AS results for Maths and Further Maths. Although I got an A in both, my modules were AAABBB but because of the way in which they were put together they worked out as 2 As. I am not massively pleased with these results, do you these results will effect my chances of getting an offer? Should I declare them?

Thanks for all the advice
Hi everyone,

I am currently writing my personal statement for 2018 entry :
- PPE Oxford
- PPE LSE
- PPE Warwick
- PPE UCL
- PPE KCL

For the moment I have a structure like this :
- introduction where I explain the origins of my passion for the subjects
- 1st paragraph : economics
- 2nd : politics
- 3rd : philosophy
( maybe I will include a 4th for my extracurricular activities but I am not sure yet)
- conclusion : why I think I am prepared for PPE

Obviously, all my paragraphs are linked to show the interdependence between all the subjects.

But do you think it is a good idea to structure a ps so clearly id est with one paragraph = one subject ?

Also If someone have been taken in Oxford PPE or LSE and is motivated to help a beginner from France, I will be really happy to have his comments and advices about my Personal Statement !

Have a nice day !
That structure is absolutely fine. Don't worry too much about it - the personal statement isn't that important!
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for PPE at Oxford, Warwick, Kings and Queens University Belfast and then Politics and International relations at LSE.

I study Politics, Economics and History (But NO MATHS, only studied maths at GCSE, A*)

I got 100% in both my AS Economics and Politics, and (i am hoping) predicted A*A*A* at A2.

I am super interested in this course and have done a lot of reading over the summer around the subjects which I've included in my personal statement.... however, do you think it is worth applying to the 'high flying' PPE universities without Maths A'Level??? Help!!
Hi everyone !

I understood that some Oxford PPE students are on this conversation. Actually, I would like to have feedback on my first draft (personal statement)... So if any student(s) have a little bit of time you can contact me through this email address : [email protected] or via the student room chat system !

Have a nice evening !
Original post by Politics2018
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for PPE at Oxford, Warwick, Kings and Queens University Belfast and then Politics and International relations at LSE.

I study Politics, Economics and History (But NO MATHS, only studied maths at GCSE, A*)

I got 100% in both my AS Economics and Politics, and (i am hoping) predicted A*A*A* at A2.

I am super interested in this course and have done a lot of reading over the summer around the subjects which I've included in my personal statement.... however, do you think it is worth applying to the 'high flying' PPE universities without Maths A'Level??? Help!!

It's worth it. Have a look here: https://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/images/course_statistics/ppe_website_course_statistics_16-17_final.pdf
These are the course statistics for 2017 applicants for PPE. There is a section that correlates A Level Maths and offers. 93% of A level applicants had Maths, so sure, it will be competitive, but it can be done. Especially if you write in your personal statement that you intend on studying some Maths over the holiday, or have high predicted Econ grades.

Remember, only 12% of applicants receive an offer. Many of those have Maths A level, it's not a guarantee that you'll get in because of that. Your predicted grades look great, and, in the end, it's the TSA test that will determine whether you get an interview and the interview that will determine whether you get an offer or not.
Original post by Politics2018

Also, if I were you I'd apply to UCL PPE rather than LSE Politics & International Relations. The latter will make your personal statement a lot harder to write.
I take a low level of Maths at IB Level (Studies) and am wondering whether I should include that I plan on studying more Maths in the summer holiday in my PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending