The Student Room Group

Cambridge ,oxford or lse for economics?

Im currently in year 12 and just wondering which out of these 3 uni's is the best at economics. According to the tables it varies throughout each year. My gcse grades were 8 A*'s and 3 A's with an A/s in maths grade A. Im predicted A's in A/s but nuttin is guaranteed. Is it realisitc to apply to cambridge. Thier course looks very appealing but the competitintion appears stiff , would oxford be a better bet. Finally wat can u do to prepare for the economics interviews at oxbridge. Do the reading of from reading lists , read a quality newspaper- wat else
Any ideas on wat kind of things they ask u? is it interests or an actaul question? Adivce would be welcomed
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How about learning to spell and use grammar correctly first?
manutd_champions
Im currently in year 12 and just wondering which out of these 3 uni's is the best at economics. According to the tables it varies throughout each year. My gcse grades were 8 A*'s and 3 A's with an A/s in maths grade A. Im predicted A's in A/s but nuttin is guaranteed. Is it realisitc to apply to cambridge. Thier course looks very appealing but the competitintion appears stiff , would oxford be a better bet. Finally wat can u do to prepare for the economics interviews at oxbridge. Do the reading of from reading lists , read a quality newspaper- wat else
Any ideas on wat kind of things they ask u? is it interests or an actaul question? Adivce would be welcomed
Thanks

They're all tough to get into. LSE easiest with your grades and the fact they won't interview you. Oxford is most competitive numbers-wise, but you can't really pick between Oxford and Cambridge.

I'm not allowed to say what I was asked in my Cambridge interview. But you can't really prepare. Just show you're interested in the subject, read several decent books and keep up with current affairs. Brush up on your Maths ability too. Know EVERYTHING inside out that you write on your personal statement. Be warned that you may get the odd random question which you haven't a clue how to answer. Sorry it's vague, but yeah...we were never properly told what to expect.
Reply 3
They are all good uni's (obvisouly). Pick the one that you are happiest at and that suits you best. As you could go to the best one for the year but not like the uni, and you have to spend at least 3 years there.

At least that is what we are advised to do, pick somewhere that you will be happy at.
macbook
They are all good uni's (obvisouly). Pick the one that you are happiest at and that suits you best. As you could go to the best one for the year but not like the uni, and you have to spend at least 3 years there.

At least that is what we are advised to do, pick somewhere that you will be happy at.

^ This ^

Visit all of them, see which ones you like, and go for one/two of them. Bear in mind that, after university, you could end up working in The City (i.e. central London), so do you *really* want to spend 3 years of university there as well?

Oxford's Economics degrees are less quantitative as well, if that helps.
Reply 5
Awxferd is bettar.:yep:
Reply 6
macbook

:ditto:
Reply 7
sil3nt_cha0s
They're all tough to get into. LSE easiest with your grades and the fact they won't interview you. Oxford is most competitive numbers-wise, but you can't really pick between Oxford and Cambridge

The grades aren't amazing by LSE standards to be fair (7-8 A*'s is seen as a minimum), and if they're good at interviews then LSE is probably their lowest bet. Just today, I heard from someone that their friend got rejected from LSE with 14A*'s at GCSE and flawless academics and is now at UCL.

OP: LSE or Oxbridge seriously depends on whether you think you will do well at interview. If Oxbridge, visit each university and look seriously at each course to pick between Cambridge or Oxford. I would honestly ignore the league tables, you'll be spending 3 years there; the league tables will change in that time anyway.
Reply 8
the life varies between each of the 3
visit all 3
hear peoples accounts of life at the uni's
and make sure you're happy at chosing that 1
Advice is welcomed:

:awesome:
LSE's economics course is the most renowned of the three, but I would imagine they are all good.

You're grades aren't super though, especially with only 3 A-levels and no FM. More realistically aim for a 5-10 uni, but still apply to oxbridge/lse.

Have some good extra currics and read some books such as Tipping the velvet.
Reply 11
Easywellyes

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is better.
Fiasco
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is better.

Don't take the piss, you can't write about a children's book on your PS.
Reply 13
Easywellyes
Don't take the piss, you can't write about a children's book on your PS.

Valid point, but it still provides unquestionable economic insight into the way in which public expenditure might not achieve the multiplier effect or any positive effect on national income if private expenditure drops as a result.
Reply 14
manutd_champions
Adivce would be welcomed

What an ungrateful d*ck, I gave you some serious advice. Did you chose to ignore it and neg rep me for my book recommendation? Yes.
Reply 15
manutd_champions
Im (Punctution -should be I'm) currently in year 12 and just wondering which out of these 3 uni's is the best at economics. According to the tables it varies throughout each year. My gcse grades were 8 A*'s and 3 A's with an A/s in maths grade A. Im (Punctution -should be I'm) predicted A's in A/s but nuttin (Spelling - should be nothing) is guaranteed. Is it realisitc (Spelling - should be realistic) to apply to cambridge (Cambridge is a place and so should have a capital letter). (Question mark needed) Thier (Spelling - their) course looks very appealing but the competitintion (Spelling - should be competition) appears stiff , would oxford (Oxford is a place, thus needs a capital letter) be a better bet. (Question mark needed) Finally wat (Spelling - what) can u (Spelling - you) do to prepare for the economics interviews at oxbridge (Capital letter needed as the 'Ox' is from Oxford). Do the reading of from reading lists (Doesn't make sense) , read a quality newspaper- wat (Spelling - what) else
Any ideas on wat (Spelling - what) kind of things they ask u (Spelling - you)? is it interests or an actaul (Spelling - actual) question? Adivce (Spelling - advice) would be welcomed
Thanks

Sorry, but I feel pedantic today. Anyway:

1) 'Which is the best at economics' - how is that a question? Do you mean which has the best reputation? Or which is the hardest to get into? And so on. You can't ask which is 'best' because it has no meaning - how do you define a university being 'best' at something? All 3 of the universities are excellent for economics and their quality at it shouldn't be the deciding factor between the 3. Instead look at the accommodation, social life and so on. Where would you most like to study for 3 years?

2) If you think you are up to the standards of Cambridge of course it is realistic to apply there. Your GCSE's and maths A-level sounds ok, but we need to know your A-level subjects - for example if you are taking subjects like business studies, accounting and media studies, it makes it less realistic to apply to any of them.

3) 'Their course looks very appealing but the competition appears stiff , would Oxford be a better bet?' - Very annoying question. Both are extremely competitive - everyone applying will probably be AAAA. Same is true for LSE. Thus to think that because Cambridge has a lot of competition you'd have a better chance at Oxford is ridiculous. In fact if I recall correctly, Oxford's econ+man course has more applicants per place than Cambridge's economics course.

4) I'm not going to give you tips on preparing for interviews, but looking at the recommended texts and reading a broadsheet newspaper is a good start. Look around on this forum and you'll probably be able to find stuff to help you.

5) Interview format (I only know about Cambridge)

Check out this page to see how individual colleges interview. Some use the thinking skills assessment, others use written work. It varies from college to college.
Here's an example of how one college does it:

- 2 interviews
- First is about a piece concerning economics (such as a newspaper article) that is given to you to look at before you go into the interview. You need to explore the issues raised by the piece.
- Second is a general interview, with the questions coming from what you say in your personal statement. If you say that you're interested in the issues raised by globalisation, expect to be asked about it.

6) Look at the Alternative Economics League Table at the top of this forum. It lists the universities by how competitive the economics courses are. Even if you do want to apply to Oxbridge/LSE you'll need to look at other universities as you get 5 choices and economics is one of the most competitive courses to get on at degree level. People with amazing grades and personal statements have been rejected due to the sheer competition.

Hope that helps a little and sorry for taking apart your original post! :yep:
Greg.

5) Interview format (I only know about Cambridge)

- 2 interviews
- First is about a piece concerning economics (such as a newspaper article) that is given to you to look at before you go into the interview. You need to explore the issues raised by the piece.
- Second is a general interview, with the questions coming from what you say in your personal statement. If you say that you're interested in the issues raised by globalisation, expect to be asked about it.

lol I wasn't asked about a piece concerning economics...stop giving the OP false information. you might be, but not necessarily...
Reply 17
sil3nt_cha0s
lol I wasn't asked about a piece concerning economics...stop giving the OP false information. you might be, but not necessarily...

Forgot about the variations by college. Edited my post to correct this.
But I was hardly 'giving the OP false information' :rolleyes:
Choose which city you like most. All are excellent academically
Easywellyes
LSE's economics course is the most renowned of the three, but I would imagine they are all good.

You're grades aren't super though, especially with only 3 A-levels and no FM. More realistically aim for a 5-10 uni, but still apply to oxbridge/lse.

I do five A levels. Maths, futher maths, history economics and physics .

Latest

Trending

Trending