The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380

xx
Reply 381
Is that Riera next to him? He's gone from looking like Quagmire from Family Guy to Richard from Richard and Judy!
Lmao, I've always thought he looked like Richard Madeley.
Reply 383
How about Quagmire and Richard Madeley's love child?
Barça
How about Quagmire and Richard Madeley's love child?

you mean...

...charlie sheen?
Fans revise Liverpool buy-out bid

The £350m debt owed by Gillett (left) and Hicks is due to be repaid in July

Supporters groups Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC have unveiled a new, joint proposal to buy Liverpool.

The supporters' organisations are unhappy with the financial structure of the club following the takeover by Americans George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

The key change to the original "member-share" proposal is a reduction of the share price from £5,000 to £500.

Gillett and Hicks were expected to complete a refinancing of the club's £350m debt on Thursday.

A statement from the SLFC board said: "This is a realistic plan that squares the circle: How to get broadly based fan ownership of the club, and relieve the level of debt, by offering Liverpool fans an affordable entry fee and a chance to get a modest return for their additional financial support.

"Now we need all those Liverpool fans to carefully consider the proposals in detail on our website - and let us know what they think."

The supporters' groups first proposed a takeover - the model of which is based upon that operated by Barcelona, Real Madrid and other European clubs - in January 2008.

Initially they hoped to raise £500m from 100,000 fans each paying the £5,000 'entry fee', but this has now been reduced.

The aim is to acquire a 60% stake in the club by raising £150m while seeking a "commercial partner" to invest £100m for a 40% stake.

In June 2009, it was announced the parent company of the club, owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett, lost £42.6m in the year to August 2008, largely as a result of interest payments that had to be made to service the debt taken on by Kop Football Holdings when it purchased the club in February 2007.

On Tuesday, the BBC learnt that the club were close to renegotiating its debt with the Royal Bank of Scotland - one of the two banks to which it owes money.
Reply 386
I really like the model, though ideally it would be 100% fan owned rather than a "commercial investor" holding 40%, which could end up murky, especially if she/he was to buy about 11% of the members' shares? Presumably they'd be free to do as they pleased with their shares? Or perhaps an Arsenal style X years shares lockdown signed pre-hand would relatively combat that.

It's clearly a model working admirably in Barcelona. Not so sure about Real Madrid, which is pretty much funded by the government and tax breaks really. Would be nice to see it trialled here.
I think the 40% is so they can buy out G&H quicker. Hopefully someone like Moores would hold the 40% then slowly give it back to the fans as more come on board? Presumably it wouldnt be any person to get the 40% but someone who both Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC agree with.
Reply 388
sarforaz
I think the 40% is so they can buy out G&H quicker. Hopefully someone like Moores would hold the 40% then slowly give it back to the fans as more come on board? Presumably it wouldnt be any person to get the 40% but someone who both Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC agree with.

Does such a person exist? Someone so selfless as to buy a smaller stake in the club for more £ per share and then sell it back to the members gradually. I don't know, but I'm extremely cynical. Unless Warren Buffet turns out to be a Liverpool fan! :p:
The 40% wouldn't be sold back, no-one who has £100 million to invest got it by giving up their investments when they started to prove viable. The fans would be ideally looking for a silent partner who would back their venture. Point at the club, the league, Barca/Real.

Shame the climate sucks, not really a time for experimenting.
Reply 390
Ascient
I have one big statistic to prove the corollary:

:awesome: :p:

haha. quality!
Reply 391
Great goal from SG tonight.
A win would be nice though I bet :colondollar:
Reply 393
Ronaldo VII

I can wait till the Tottenham match.
Singh_2
I can wait till the Tottenham match.

Spurs will be missing a few players...

Tottenham defensive trio Jonathan Woodgate, Michael Dawson and Ledley King are all doubtful for the Premier League opener against Liverpool.
Ronaldo VII

Not sure how much of a pre-season friendly that one counts though tbh, given it was a 'Liverpool XI', with a first-team squad out in Asia. I'm not even sure who took charge, McMahon possibly?

Could be useful if the boys in Asia pull a win together once before Spurs though.
Reply 396
Fan owned Clubs :coma:
Reply 397
Gerrards jury?

:colonhash:
Reply 398
Detailed info on the proposed ShareLFC/SOS scheme. I'm in.

http://www.shareliverpoolfc.co.uk/index.php/detailed-proposal
Reply 399
Back again - missed anything of interest apart from the friendlies and Gerrard being acquitted? Situation on Xabi/the Masch?

Caught the Thailand game on hol, Babel looked tasty didn't he? Rafa says he's getting his head down and working hard in training as well, so good on him. Just hope he's deployed more up front...

And LOL at the morons moaning about how we keep drawing pre-season warm up matches, the real season doesnt start until August. Let's see how we fare than, OK? Seem to remember United having a terrible pre-season a either last year on the season prior to that. But this year, they are beating the might Malaysian and Korean teams. TBH, I'd be more concerned about Chelsea the way they have played thus far but again friendlies don't mean jack bar geting nearer to match fitness...

Latest