The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This interested me more...

Liverpool set to net £15m shirt sponsor: Banking giants in frame after missing out on United

Star appeal: Liverpool are confident they can land a big-money shirt sponsor

Liverpool, despite the serious financial difficulties facing American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, are confident of quickly finding a big-money shirt sponsor to replace Carlsberg.

The lager brand are not expected to renew their 17-year association with the club when their £8million-a-year deal expires at the end of the season, especially with Liverpool looking to almost double the price to £15m a year and Carlsberg's exclusive negotiating period having finished.

London-based international banking giants Standard Chartered, who just lost out to insurance broker Aon for Manchester United's shirt deal, are already the leading candidates for the Liverpool kit.

The fact that they were competing strongly with Aon, who are paying £20m a year for the United sponsorship for four years from 2010-11, also suggests the bank would meet the steep Liverpool asking price, even in a recession.

A £15m annual contract with Standard Chartered, whose sponsorships include the Bangkok marathon, would put Liverpool level with Chelsea, who have recently extended their deal with Samsung at that rate until 2013.

Shame if we dont have any connection to Carlsberg after so long but it is a lot of money!
Reply 781
BJP
hoping we buy a class striker or a winger. really we needed both. but with rafa i'd consider it a success if we could just get either/or now.

We DO NOT need a class striker. Gerrard and Torres is one of the best, if not the best partnership in world football. Why ruin it? :rolleyes:
Reply 782
sarforaz
This interested me more...

Shame if we dont have any connection to Carlsberg after so long but it is a lot of money!

Carlsberg are awful.
LFCYU
We DO NOT need a class striker. Gerrard and Torres is one of the best, if not the best partnership in world football. Why ruin it? :rolleyes:

What happens if one gets injured? What's plan B?
Ronaldo VII

Voronin :teeth:

I actually hope Rafa makes a loan move for Negredo.. RM dont really look like theyre going to sell unless its last minute, the player wants to go elsewhere (linked himself to like 10 clubs, latest being Roma)
Would be a nice back up for now, without having to splash out.
sarforaz

Of course.
Reply 787
Ronaldo VII

There is the option to buy a back up with the £10 million we have spare. I don't see the point though, we have people like Benayoun who can come in and then move Kuyt up front, Babel can also play up there aswell.
Ronaldo VII
Of course.

if Owen can pass a medical, so can Aquilani :teeth:

Dunno if i should come into the Man U soc or not to ask, but what do you make of all the injuries? Saw Vidic could be out for 2 weeks and VDS for up to 10 weeks? :eek:
sarforaz
if Owen can pass a medical, so can Aquilani :teeth:

Dunno if i should come into the Man U soc or not to ask, but what do you make of all the injuries? Saw Vidic could be out for 2 weeks and VDS for up to 10 weeks? :eek:

We're good, presuming we don't get many more. We still have both twins, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Evans and Evra. Cathcart was fairly comfortable against Bayern and De Laet excellent against Valencia, so not too fussed. Brown will be back next week, and Vidic the week after, with Neville similar. It's just Van der Sar that's out for a while, so time for someone to step up.

Just can't wait for the season to begin now :excited:
Ronaldo VII
We're good, presuming we don't get many more. We still have both twins, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Evans and Evra. Cathcart was fairly comfortable against Bayern and De Laet excellent against Valencia, so not too fussed. Brown will be back next week, and Vidic the week after, with Neville similar. It's just Van der Sar that's out for a while, so time for someone to step up.

Just can't wait for the season to begin now :excited:

Not long now :smile: its actually gone quicker than I thought it would!
Although, only 2 days till the Community shield.. might have to watch that.
From a Liverpool point of view, the injuries look like a good thing :p:
Last season, Utd started pretty slow but then you do have 3 easy-ish games to begin with.
Utd did well with a lot of 1-0's last season. Ima hoping that with 2 key defensive players out, it becomes more 1-1's or with Ronaldo missing, more 0-0's :teeth:
Reply 791
N'Gog's proved useful up top - probably a better option than Dirk playing alone there. We are a bit thin on cover up there but, having said that, the day Dirk gets injured is the day the sun explodes. Even then he'd probably survive - still tearing up and down the cosmos, sustaining himself on cockroaches, Grolsch, and lithium.
Reply 792
Rainy
N'Gog's proved useful up top - probably a better option than Dirk playing alone there. We are a bit thin on cover up there but, having said that, the day Dirk gets injured is the day the sun explodes. Even then he'd probably survive - still tearing up and down the cosmos, sustaining himself on cockroaches, Grolsch, and lithium.

Haha

Grolsch is probably on a par with Cockroaches and Lithium. ***** ale!
izaldo
Haha

Grolsch is probably on a par with Cockroaches and Lithium. ***** ale!

Is it just me or does warm Grolsch smell like fart?
Reply 794
In all fairness, most lagers owned by InBev, SABMiller, Carlsberg, Anheuser-Busch etc smell (and taste) something awful!

Barman? Snob? Me...? Never!
Reply 795
wow milan5baros just realised you repped me for the Iraq tv thing! A belated thanks!
Reply 796
On the flip side is could be a good deal for Carlsberg to part pays with LFC as a brand being associated with a team for that long can put off certain people especially fans of rival teams as Carlsberg is now synonymous with this club i think.
Aquilani passed his medical. 5 year deal.
Reply 798
El Stevo

:yy:
El Stevo

on the downside he's out for at least a month AFAIK

seems like buying injured players is the new thing in football

Latest