The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've Told Fernando Torres To Keep His Mouth Shut - Liverpool Boss Rafa Benitez
'El Nino' has been told to keep his trap shut...

Liverpool's Fernando Torres has been told by his fellow countryman and boss Rafa Benitez to keep his cool in wake of the striker's petty feuds with opposing defenders.

The Spaniard's most recent tiff was with Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone - an argument that Benitez feels does not befit the temperament of a £21 million Premier League footballer.

"I’ve told him he has to stop arguing with defenders," The Times quotes Benitez as saying.

"This has to stop, for his good and the team’s. He accepts that the best way of getting back at opponents is by scoring."

Until recently, the manager was also suffering defensively as Daniel Agger still struggles to become match fit. However, with veteran Greece defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos announcing his move to Anfield, Benitez is sure to have breathed a small sigh of relief.

Makes sense?
Reply 1181
I never knew that he argued with defenders. :unsure:

0/10 on that assignment then.

He goes sick :mwuaha:
Reply 1184
El Stevo
0/10 on that assignment then.

Rafa had me scouting for a CB. :hat2:
Rafa had me scouting for a CB. :hat2:

Explains where he was against Spurs then... lolling it up in Greece.
Reply 1186
Torres has a lot to improve.

He can't dribble so he needs to pass it instead of trying to dribble and losing the ball especially when we need to score.

His first touch also needs to improve. It's either brilliant or abysmal.

Mainly dribbling or trying to get past players though. He loses the ball too many times! Arg. He needs to work on that in training but for now he needs to pass it to someone else in a better position.
He doesn't need to dribble... he takes it past players using his pace and strength.

http://www.lfconline.com/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=458621
Karl Coppack

Tuesday, 18th August 2009
2009-2010. Lights, camera, action. The glorious nineteenth. Torres to finish top scorer. Tears at Old Trafford and a stunned look from the rat who signed from them. 'Not again'.
Spurs were the only team to beat us and stay up last season as we suffered from the New Manager Syndrome that has blighted us in the past. Last season they were lucky but yesterday they let us off with 2-1. As I left the ground one of their clan, a hair gelled, shades and earring clad man dressed as some sort of golfer pulled his fist out of his nose to say 'Be honest, it could have been five'. He had a point, possibly the only one he'll ever make. If Robbie Keane hadn't delivered the performance we finally asked for we would be rubbing shoulders with the People's Deserters Club.

That was awful. Pitiful, shocking, atrocious, terrible, appalling, dreadful, dire, horrific, horrendous and hideous. Mr Johnson and Sr. Reina, you may step onto the coach with your head held high but the others can't. Don't wake Ryan - he's asleep. He nodded off about fourish.

I can forgive a lack of talent but never desire. Voronin will never be Torres but he came on and put more effort in than Nando did in the previous hour. Mascherano will always have more in his locker than Lucas but I saw only one man making tackles. Ryan Babel will never be…well, he'll just never be. A man with a glorious future behind him.

The worrying aspect is that it was so predictable. Yes, pre-season is for fitness and results are irrelevant but the manner and ease in which the two Spanish teams beat us was cause for concern. It's not ability, its desire. Its pace, overlapping and getting into the box, not just giving it to Gerrard and hoping Nando's got some space. Spurs came out of the traps and were average to begin with until they sniffed the fear and confusion. Skrtel and Carra's clash of heads, a demonstration of that confusion, gave them hope and we slowly we descended into an organisation master plan created by the Keystone Cops.

Much will be made of the Alonso loss but I fail to see how it's that much of an issue. We've lost him a few times already, notably 2007-08 when he was awful, and managed to make do. The real issues are staring us in the face. Spurs had Defoe, Keane, Crouch and Pavlechenko available. We had Torres and Voronin. We have no experience at left back, no cover for the right wing, a stitched up centre back pairing and Ryan Babel. It's not as if we haven't got the money. Keane was never replaced and we made money on Alonso sale so who exactly are we waiting for?

To give Rafa his due he didn't hide with his pre-match comments, admitting we were poor but I'd like to see an explanation for Yossi's absence. He can talk about a knock but if he plays like that when he's had a knock then he should start every game. Yes, there was the predictable diatribe against the referee (another ref with the desperate urge to have his name in the papers. If he's a top ref I'm the Viscount of Marlborough) but we deserved what we got. 0 points and a -1 goal difference.

If we start with Yossi and the centre backs are okay we should be fine against Stoke but we'll need more imagination than we showed on Sunday. We'll need more everything.

Welcome to the new season. Here we go again.

Sounds about right.

The team can't go into this game wanting anything less than a win, if we get another draw then last season wil effectively have been for nothing, nothing learned nothing gained. Play as badly as you want, just stick that ball past Sorenson and into his net more times than it goes past Reina into his. It's simple. Get some 3 pointers on the board before worrying about form.
Reply 1189
Torres has never been known for his great dirbling skills or killer touch.

He has plenty of pace and a good finish on him.
El Stevo
Get some 3 pointers on the board before worrying about form.

I presume by form you mean performance (as opposed to results), in which case I completely agree. The team is never going to be firing on all cylinders so early on in the season, so grinding & grafting for wins is essential. If the team is still having to scrape the barrel for three points in 10 games' time, that's when you might have something to worry about.

Good article, that, I enjoyed reading it, though it did descend similar to the Liverpool performance he describes.

Ryan Babel- A man with a glorious future behind him. Initially I was like :rofl: but then I was like :frown: It is quite a tragic line.

Of course it isn't true and Babel can certainly still become a very good player, but I'm sure he'd have liked to have had a better couple of years than he has.
Ascient
I presume by form you mean performance (as opposed to results), in which case I completely agree. The team is never going to be firing on all cylinders so early on in the season, so grinding & grafting for wins is essential. If the team is still having to scrape the barrel for three points in 10 games' time, that's when you might have something to worry about.

At the end of the day, a win against Stoke would put us on more points from the same games compared to last year, so it isn't all bad. 14/18 from the rest of the top 4 is unlikely though so we really need to get those points, which is why I would have gladly taken a draw long before the Spurs game started given the state of the squad with injuries, form and adaptation needed. As last year I think title winning results would be passing 30 points after 13 games - see how the team looks then.

Ascient
Good article, that, I enjoyed reading it, though it did descend similar to the Liverpool performance he describes.

Yea, he got carried away, most journo's do - get a bit sidetracked constructing some kind of impact article/post they forget what it's about really.

Ascient
Ryan Babel- A man with a glorious future behind him. Initially I was like :rofl: but then I was like :frown: It is quite a tragic line. Of course it isn't true and Babel can certainly still become a very good player, but I'm sure he'd have liked to have had a better couple of years than he has.

It is heading that way, a complete lack of stepping up last season following a really promising first season. He really needs an implant Rafa can press which shocks his neck lifting his head once in a while - would do him a world of good. So would playing on the right to be fair as well, but he has Dirk to usurp.
Why didn't we sign Michael Salgado on a free. I know he's not a CB but with his experience...surely he could cover a few games there.:shot:
milan5baros
Why didn't we sign Michael Salgado on a free. I know he's not a CB but with his experience...surely he could cover a few games there.:shot:

Not entirely sure why we aren't going after Sol Campbell on a free either - it must just be the players are looking for regular games at this stage of their career.
One quality striker, Owen possibly. That's all Liverpool need to finish above United, apart from replacing lost players of course. Aquilani will not hit it off, Italian midfielder will take far too long to adapt.
Btw I don't mean liverpool should sign Owen now, just when they had the chance.
Reply 1196
El Stevo
He doesn't need to dribble... he takes it past players using his pace and strength.
He doesn't need to but tries to. And when he tries to take it past players using his pace, 9 times out of 10 his touch to take it away from the defender is too heavy and it goes to another defender or their keeper.
Predo's for tonight? Stoke are goin to park the **** out of that bus tonight me thinks.
3-0 Liverpool, Torres x2 and Benayoun who should start ahead of Babel.
2-0 I hope. I would love to maul them though.

Latest