The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
I'd just like to mention that Steve Cohen has not been rehired as the host of Fox Football Fone-In on Fox Soccer Channel thanks to the boycott. He is a class A prick and just as bad as MacKenzie.

If you don't know who he is, he used to be a host on an American football show who blames the ticket-less fans at Hillsborough for killing their own fans even though the official report says they had no contributory effect to what happened. He also uses the good old false claims of "anti-Semitism" tactics to ward off criticism. Dirty ****.

Here is a time line of events (thanks to 4pool):

BoycottDecember 5th, 2006 Steven Cohen makes disparaging remarks about the Hillsborough and Heysel tragedies on the Fox Soccer channel program Fox Football Fone-in.

December 12th, 2006 Steven Cohen apologizes on air:

"But first, last week here on Fox Football Fone-in, in the heat of the moment, I made some very disparaging remarks about Liverpool Football Club and their supporters. I know that I'm a passionate Chelsea fan and it takes up almost all of my waking hours. I also know that when I'm wound up over comments against Chelsea, like many fans, I resort to insults that can be very hurt full. As a broadcast professional I should know better and not let it get to this stage. I've apologized on my radio show World Soccer Daily and I've also apologized to the management here at Fox Soccer Channel. But most importantly I wish to apologize to all our viewers.

October 27th, 2008 Steven Cohen admits singing “Murders” to Liverpool fans in a pub.

February 22nd, 2009 Steven Cohen uses “Milk the Cow” joke regarding the Hillsborough Anniversary services and request to UEFA to not play on the 20th Anniversary date of April 15th, 2009. Calls the Hillsborough Justice Group corrupt and ridiculous. And blames 8,000 ticket less fans for the tragedy further calling them scum of the earth.

April 13th, 2009 Steven Cohen brings up the Anniversary reporting in the UK press and claims the press didn't cover the 6-8,000 ticket less fans as the root cause of the disaster and Liverpool supporters share responsibility.

April 16th, 2009 Steven Cohen the day after the 20th Anniversary calls it a “Milk the Cow” ceremony. Kenny Hassan also claims Liverpool supporters should shoulder some responsibility.

April 20th, 2009 Steven Cohen claims “shared responsibilities” regardless of numbers of ticket less fans.

April 27th, 2009 Notice of potential boycott sent to Advertisers, Networks, and Steven Cohen along with the Branches copied.

May 4th, 2009 Steven Cohen, after eight days of correspondence, says “we must all do what we must to do.”

May 5th, 2009 Official Notice of Boycott sent to advertisers, Networks, Steven Cohen with the Branches copied.

May 12th, 2009 Request to supporters to honour boycott posted on various supporter forums and websites and not to email or call Steven Cohen or his show.

May 18th, 2009 An update to the branches, advertisers, networks, and Steven Cohen sent out informing them the North American Federation of Celtic Supporters Clubs had joined our cause.

May 18th, 2009 Steven Cohen introduces an “apology” with “let's put this crap to bed”” and then wrinkles up the paper it was written on and tosses it away. Then in another segment after he says “we are going to make fun of some people and their boycott of this show” and proceeds to “mock” Mr. Mel Abshier of the North American Branches and Mr. Jackie Meehan who is President of the North American Federation of Celtic Supporters Clubs after saying in his “apology” he would not bring the subject up again.

May 21st, 2009 Liverpool Football Club issue an official statement:

“Liverpool Football Club totally condemns the comments regarding the Hillsborough disaster made by the radio and TV broadcaster Steve Cohen.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2009/may/21/N164483090521-1657.htm

May 29th, 2009 “A Special Letter from America” on official Liverpool website explaining the Boycott.

"..Mel put in yeoman's work getting the email addresses of the sponsors and started a campaign. The LFCNY did the same and, suddenly, a deluge of emails inundated sponsors. As they were made aware of Cohen's litany of hurtful statements, sponsors quickly began to distance themselves. FourFourTwo had no problem dropping him. Fado Pubs, an Irish pub chain, denied him access for outside broadcasts and local advertising. 365-inc, replica shirt suppliers, were appalled and ended their business relationship. WhoAre Ya Designs, a t-shirt maker, refused to re-up their expiring contract."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164520090529-1138.htm

June 1st, 2009 A June update was sent to the Branches and the Networks—SiriusXm, Fox Soccer Channel, and Setanta USA expressing further plans for the boycott and a change in Steven Cohens status to: the boycott will only be lifted when Mr. Steven Cohen is no longer co-host of World Soccer Daily.

June 11th, 2009 Associate Professor Mark Sawyer makes contact offering to mediate the Boycott of Steven Cohen's World Soccer Daily advertisers.

June 16th, 2009 Another update sent to the branches and the networks concerning two more advertisers leaving World Soccer Daily.

June 26th, 2009 Associate Professor Mark Sawyer is given approval by Steven Cohen to negotiate a settlement. He provides a proposal which is rejected due to “a grave error” and a cooling off period until July 6th is put in place.

July 6th, 2009 Associate Professor Mark Sawyer ends negotiations after stipulating Steven Cohen could not prove Eoin-Alex-Martin was a member of any Liverpool F.C. “supporter” club as claimed on air by Cohen that “connect the dots” to the boycott campaign, the club, or the owners. Nor would he or Steven Cohen be providing any case numbers from the FBI after months of claims by Steven that he had gone to the FBI. The branches had offered to name and shame any anti-Semite and co-operate with legal authorities.

July 29th, 2009 Fox Soccer Channel announces a new co-host for their program Fox Football Fone-in, Eric Wynalda.

Steven Cohen is not rehired for the television show.

August 21st, 2009 Steven Cohen announces on air that this is the last show of World Soccer Daily as heard on SiriusXM satellite.

August 22nd, 2009 An email is sent out to all North American Branches that the boycott of advertisers of World Soccer Daily is now over.

A real big congratulations to all that made it happen. Very good work.
Fantastic news:

Team: Reina, Insua, Johnson, Skrtel, Carragher, Lucas, Mascherano, Kuyt, Benayoun, Gerrard, Torres.
Subs: Cavalieri, Voronin, Riera, Ayala, Dossena, Kelly, Babel.
El Stevo
Fantastic news:

Team: Reina, Insua, Johnson, Skrtel, Carragher, Lucas, Mascherano, Kuyt, Benayoun, Gerrard, Torres.
Subs: Cavalieri, Voronin, Riera, Ayala, Dossena, Kelly, Babel.

I think that's possibly our strongest lineup at present. :smile:
milan5baros
I think that's possibly our strongest lineup at present. :smile:

If everyone was fit... I'd say Agger and Aurelio would make it over Insua and Carragher Skrtel.
milan5baros
Basically you pick a team using any of the players in the premiership, they all have different prices...and you have to work within a budget.

You get different points for various things such as clean sheets, making an appearance, assisting a goal, and scoring a goal. There are also bonus points given out each week for the top players.

Also make the player you think will score most highly your captain as they will score double points.

Here's the website where you sign up

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

And then you can join our league which gives us all a bit of competition. Using the code I have sent you.

Oh right, thanks a lot. I'm going to sign up to see how it is.
El Stevo
If everyone was fit... I'd say Agger and Aurelio would make it over Insua and Carragher Skrtel.

Yeh I'd agree. Give it a year or two, Insua will be our number one choice left back. The Skrtel/Agger decision is debatable..but I'd agree with taking Agger because he's clearly better on the ball. :p:
Liverpool F.C.™
Oh right, thanks a lot. I'm going to sign up to see how it is.

No problem! It really can be quite addictive and fun! :teeth:
The Reds XI in full is: Reina, Insua, Johnson, Skrtel, Carragher, Lucas, Mascherano, Kuyt, Benayoun, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Voronin, Riera, Ayala, Dossena, Kelly, Babel.
Reply 1388
I would've liked to see Riera start based on the corresponding fixture a couple months back. I'm sure he'll come on and do well.
farhan
I would've liked to see Riera start based on the corresponding fixture a couple months back. I'm sure he'll come on and do well.

I think Benayoun is the right call tbf. We need to cover Xabi's creativity, and Riera tends to be someone you find for the final ball, rather than make something like Yossi. He's like a luxury player atm, but I hope he comes on for the last half hour.
Well Benayoun has merited his place in the side? So I guess Riera wont get a look in till Benayoun's performance drops?
farhan

I really can't remember much, apart from thrashing them 5-0 with Gerrard getting a hat trick. I'll take your word for it :borat:

Having said that, like above, I think Rafa has made the right call this time.
sarforaz
Well Benayoun has merited his place in the side? So I guess Riera wont get a look in till Benayoun's performance drops?

He'll get sub minutes I think... If we get a few goals clear I hope Babel can get some time on the right subbing for Kuyt - he looked decent there in pre-season...
When do you lot reckon tickets will go on sale for the first CL group stage match at home? Thematch date will either be the 15/16 or the 29/30 Sept. I'm off on holiday at the weekend for a fortnight so it looks like I'm going to miss the dates of sale :angry:
Class header Lucas
Reply 1395
Unnecessary foul by Lucas. Lucas scores with a header from resulting free kick. Well done Lucas.
Reply 1396
Lucas. What-a-guy.
OMG! Lucas :mad:
OMG what is going on !
Poor defending

Latest