The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
sarforaz
Salary handicap

Earlier this year, Deloitte said that Premier league clubs may face higher wage demands from European players due to sterling's weakness and the new 50% tax rate.

Offers to transfer targets and existing players may need to be raised to match the take-home wages offered by European rivals, Deloitte added.

It said giving a European player a net annual salary of 3m euros (£2.6m) would cost an English club 6.8m euros.

But a Spanish club needs only pay 4m euros to deliver the same net salary.

The UK figure is also higher than clubs in France (6.7m euros), Italy (5.7m euros) and Germany (5.4m euros) would have to pay, according to the Deloitte calculations.

Crazy ****...

Wow - that is a massive difference! No wonder Real & Barca sign players with such ease :tongue:

That said the £ could get much stronger before any contract signed by a former Prem player in Spain ends..so it's a bit of a gamble if you moved for that reason.

Freaky stuff.
I Had A ‘Flare-Up’ With Rafael Benitez - Liverpool's Albert Riera
The winger has revealed his disappointment at being restricted to a bench role for the Reds...

Liverpool winger Albert Riera has told Spanish publication AS of a bust-up he had with manager Rafael Benitez and confirmed his anger at failing to start the first three games of the season for the Merseysiders.

"I didn't play the first game because I started training late after the Confederations Cup, like [Pepe] Reina and [Fernando] Torres," he said. "I was angry and had a flare-up at Benitez, but the day I don't get angry for being a substitute I will retire."

After sitting out the defeat to Tottenham, Riera had to be satisfied with a late substitute appearance in the 4-0 win over Stoke City and he was an unused sub in the 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa. However, he earned a starting place in the 3-2 win over Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok last weekend.

Despite not featuring as often as he would have liked so far this season, Riera holds the Liverpool boss in high regard.

"Benitez is a special coach who defends his own. I know he is with me, because he said so," he added.

The former Espanyol man also said that missing out on Spain's Euro 2008 victory was difficult for him.

"It was very hard but I will work to get to the World Cup to compensate for it," he said.

Guess that explains it somewhat along with Benayoun being in good form.
I don't want Riera to be sad :frown:
He'll have to work very ******* hard to displace Yossi and his twinkle toes now.
DontBuyTheSun
He'll have to work very ******* hard to displace Yossi and his twinkle toes now.

.............Torres.........
Riera.....Benayoun.....Kuyt
......Gerrard....Masch......
Insua...Skrtel..Carra...Johnson
............Reina............

For all the talk of breaking up Torres/Gerrard combo, they've been poor so far this season and we have no one creating play/dictating the game and without that, they wont get the ball or service to play the natural game. Got to think of the entire team and not just those two.

.................Torres.........
Riera....Benayoun...Gerrard...Kuyt
................Masch..............

Might be the easiest way to keep the combo so that either Benayoun or Gerrard drop deep and likewise Benayoun can switch with Riera and Kuyt and Gerrard can switch too.
Might make our play a bit less predictable/slow/crap/etc.

The current formation of 4-2-3-1 with Lucas in there, after 4 games, has not inspired any confidence in me. It's not just that we've lost to games but more the fact that 2 performances were poor (Bolton and Spurs) and Villa was not clinical enough hence poor result and only Stoke game was the good one.
We cant carry on like this too long, or we're going to drop more points here or there.
you home jack lad?

I'll be around penny lane/allerton road for a bevy later if you fancy one
Gona be around to watch the footy in a pub near allerton rd tomorrow probably lad.
will give you a text if I end up out
Reply 1788
Administration by 2011? :yep:

The current financial climate is continuing to delay work on Liverpool's proposed new 60,000 seater stadium, the club's managing director Christian Purslow confirmed today.

The club's co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have faced heavy criticism after promising work would start straight away following their takeover of the club in February 2007.

But almost a decade after plans were first announced to build the new stadium on Stanley Park, just yards from the current Anfield stadium, there is yet a "spade in the ground".

"Construction on the stadium will begin when the current contraction in the banking industry ends and the global financial markets re-establish their equilibrium," said Purslow.

"The centerpiece is to deliver a world-class football ground that everyone can be proud of, a new home for the club with a stadium of at least 60,000 seats, giving the best possible match experience.

Liverpool risk being left behind financially from the revenue made by rival clubs due to their higher capacity stadiums.

Manchester United can now hold over 76,000 fans in Old Trafford whilst Arsenal's Emirates Stadium holds 60,000 supporters.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2009/09/03/liverpool-confirm-new-stadium-delays-to-continue/

You know the 350m pound loan they took out to build the stadium which is now a massive debt placed on the club? Well that has simply drained away and now there going to need to take out a further $800m ( 630M) for the stadium.

"we will not pull a glazer"

:toofunny: :woo:
Reply 1789
The joke is on you my friend, for you think Ronaldo will return! :rofl:
Reply 1790
Sakapaka
Administration by 2011? :yep:

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2009/09/03/liverpool-confirm-new-stadium-delays-to-continue/

You know the 350m pound loan they took out to build the stadium which is now a massive debt placed on the club? Well that has simply drained away and now there going to need to take out a further $800m ( 630M) for the stadium.

"we will not pull a glazer"

:toofunny: :woo:

The irony of a United fan laughing at this?, seriously.

Everyone but your lot, Leeds and Newcastle probably could.
I still think you're in a worse position than us. We have the stadium, the squad and the transfer kitty. We have bigger debt, but for you to get those 3 things it would cost a lot more than the difference. You've a lot of uncertainty. We're not in a great position, but I think it's better than yours.
To be fair, I don't really think there's much merit to a discussion on who's **** stinks the worst. :poo:
Ours is worse, we were told no debt haha

No laughing matter for yous though, fine lines away from disaster
Reply 1794
Ronaldo VII
I still think you're in a worse position than us. We have the stadium, the squad and the transfer kitty. We have bigger debt, but for you to get those 3 things it would cost a lot more than the difference. You've a lot of uncertainty. We're not in a great position, but I think it's better than yours.

Of course we are worse off, our financial perils are very apparrent. Yet suddenly Man United have season tickets on general sale and appear to be tightening their belts. Paying off 10% of a companies value in interest payments alone is not a good position to be in, whichever way you look at it.

You'd at least expect a clued up United fan to be very coy when it comes to any situation regarding other clubs debt.

£263m in 4 years - just to fund the luxury of having an American owner, and you are laughing at us Sakapaka?
Reply 1795
Sorted for Burnley, roll on the weekend.
Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight!

Jack needs a spare still i believe.
Meeting before hand Izaldoescobar?
Reply 1797
Welcome Home, Shields!
Gerrard scoring 2 tonight - no injury to him or Johnson so I'm happy.
Johnson again showing his attacking skills, thought his assist was great today.
Shame he got beaten again defensively though but I'm sure Rafa will help him on that.

Back to the proper football again!
Reply 1799
*Awaits all the criticism against Johnson for the Croatia goal even thou there were enough England players able to stop Eduardo who was standing in the 6yrd box unmarked. He was at fault but annoyed that it will all get focused on him and not the other players.
I reckon Gerrard will stick to the left midfield now and can make that postion work for him and put to rest the whole where can Gerrard & Lampard play together. The pressing aspect of our game was the best thing tonight as when we go to the World Cup we will basically need to play like that as teams like Spain, Brazil will want to pass through us which Croatia were'nt allowed to.

Latest