The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Made in the USA
You really think it's a slam dunk if the economy continues to be terrible? He can't keep blaming the previous administration for everything forever. Sooner or later he's going to own this mess and voters may be angry enough to consider another candidate.

Well what's wrong with blaming something on the people that caused it?
Moe Lester
I don't particularly like Jindal; anti-abortion, opposition to same-sex marriage, support for the Patriot act, banning of flag burning .etc. Much better than Palin however.

Yeah I heard his state of the union thing was bad, what was actually so bad about it?

Charlie Crist is the Republican governor of Florida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Crist

Isn't Crist running for the Senate though?
That'd rule him out as a candidate for the 2012 election pretty much, he'd probably be a likely figure after his first term as a Senator.
gee_shakedown
Isn't Crist running for the Senate though?
That'd rule him out as a candidate for the 2012 election pretty much, he'd probably be a likely figure after his first term as a Senator.

Yeah he is apparently, I had no idea. I was talking about the 2008 Republican VP ticket though :smile:, he would have been much better than Palin.
Moe Lester
Yeah he is apparently, I had no idea. I was talking about the 2008 Republican VP ticket though :smile:, he would have been much better than Palin.

Ah oh right, on that I definitely agree with you :smile:
gee_shakedown
Ah oh right, on that I definitely agree with you :smile:

:awesome:
People are too easily assuming Obama will still be popular in 2011... I don't think it's a given... he's doing pretty badly with the economy so far - and on foreign relations he is exhibiting an immaturity and naivety which could easily end in disaster. Jimmy Carter, the organism the scientists cloned Obama from and added melanin, only got one term remember.
Reply 46
I hope she does decide to run for president in the next election. It'd be damn brilliant!
Reply 47
Anyone for some (Jeb) Bush?
Delta Usafa
Well what's wrong with blaming something on the people that caused it?

History has shown that the Great Depression was prolonged by the economic policies of Roosevelt; so too will future history show that our current recession/depression was exacerbated by the economic policies of Obama. His first stimulus was a complete failure and now we may even see a second stimulus that will leave the US with debt we may take generations to fully recover from.

Ever hear about what the definition of insanity is?
Made in the USA
History has shown that the Great Depression was prolonged by the economic policies of Roosevelt; so too will future history show that our current recession/depression was exacerbated by the economic policies of Obama. His first stimulus was a complete failure and now we may even see a second stimulus that will leave the US with debt we may take generations to fully recover from.

Ever hear about what the definition of insanity is?

The Depression was actually prolonged by the inability on Hoover's part to actually do anything about it. History has never shown that Roosevelt made things worse. If anything it shows that he didn't help, but he by no means prolonged the depression.

But no, Obama's stimulus has not made thing worse and there's no evidence that it has. All we know right now is that the current economic situation was caused by the Bush administration's economic policies and their unwillingness to ever do anything right.
Delta Usafa
The Depression was actually prolonged by the inability on Hoover's part to actually do anything about it. History has never shown that Roosevelt made things worse. If anything it shows that he didn't help, but he by no means prolonged the depression.

But no, Obama's stimulus has not made thing worse and there's no evidence that it has. All we know right now is that the current economic situation was caused by the Bush administration's economic policies and their unwillingness to ever do anything right.

This entire meltdown happened on the democrat's watch. Democrats have been in control of congress since 2006. Chris Dodd, Chair of the Banking committee and Barney Frank, Chair of the Finance Committee should be in the hot seat right now.

Bush tried to reform Freddy and Fanny several times. Who stopped him? Congress, especially the democrats.

"These two entities Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are not facing any kind of financial crisis," said Rep. Barney Frank, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. "The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing."

Here is what McCain said in 2005: "If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system and the economy as a whole."

Sounds like McCain and GWB were on the right side of this issue.
Reply 51
Made in the USA
Sooner or later he's going to own this mess and voters may be angry enough to consider another candidate.
Sure. However, assuming the US economy has a deeper recession or doesn't recover as quickly/well as the rest of the world, I seriously doubt that Sarah Palin is the best choice for the Republicans if they wish to choose someone to challenge Obama on the way he handled the economy. She has qualities that make her attractive to the electorate, but economic weight isn't one of them.
Kolya
Sure. However, assuming the US economy has a deeper recession or doesn't recover as quickly/well as the rest of the world, I seriously doubt that Sarah Palin is the best choice for the Republicans if they wish to choose someone to challenge Obama on the way he handled the economy. She has qualities that make her attractive to the electorate, but economic weight isn't one of them.

I agree. The best "economics expert" the GOP has is, IMO, Mitt Romney. I'm not sure the base would get behind him because he is from a left wing state, has held inconsistent positions on abortion, and (as crazy as this sounds) practices the wrong brand of Christianity.
Made in the USA
This entire meltdown happened on the democrat's watch. Democrats have been in control of congress since 2006. Chris Dodd, Chair of the Banking committee and Barney Frank, Chair of the Finance Committee should be in the hot seat right now.

Bush tried to reform Freddy and Fanny several times. Who stopped him? Congress, especially the democrats.

"These two entities — Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac — are not facing any kind of financial crisis," said Rep. Barney Frank, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. "The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing."

Here is what McCain said in 2005: "If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system and the economy as a whole."

Sounds like McCain and GWB were on the right side of this issue.

Now... this whole argument seems to revolve around an idea that the housing market and mortgages are the only issues in this whole scheme. The economy wouldn't have been saved by reforming Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae alone. It was a big part of it, sure, but there's way more to it than that.

Latest

Trending

Trending