The Student Room Group

What is your favourite book ?

Sell me on it
( Rules : please no Virginia Woolf or Dickens )
author's name,@ecolier
Reply 2
HOMO SAPIENS BY YUVAL NOAH HARARI
It is written so well and I think the reason I'm so attached to it is because it completely changed my perspective on life (Yes it also made me upset because Yuval here claims that our hunter gatherer ancestors were happier than we currently are).

My friend took this book out from the library under my name as a way of forcing me to read it, and I'm so glad she did... this was in year 9, when I was still in my blissful, ignorant bubble of childhood. The book takes you on a journey from the very first Homo Sapiens, through the Cognitive, Agricultural and Technological revolutions, to our present day. Every major step of our species' adventures is described: the acquisition of language, why we are so distinct as a species, how money and numbers evolved, how we spread over the world. I finished it with a completely new perspective on what it means to be human, I started viewing everything with a more critical eye and I learnt sooooo much. Not to mention it boosted my vocabulary and I saw a progression in my academia.
As I was so thankful towards my friend, I forced my sister to read it...now she's obsessed. I'm urging those who are interested in what it means to be human to try it!
Reply 3
The Holy Bible, because it helps us build a connection with Jesus who grants eternal life.
brief history of time by Stephen Hawking
The Throne of Glass
Reply 6
Original post by Scarlet123321
The Throne of Glass

I’ve been thinking about getting into Sarah J Mass ! Do you recommend throne of glass or court of thorns and roses more (as a starting point )?
Reply 7
Original post by abdullahi garba
brief history of time by Stephen Hawking

Love that book! have you read 'Reality is not what it seems' by Carlo Rovelli? It's about reconciling Quantum physics with Special relativity and gravity. It gets very complex to understand and is a step up from Hawking's book but is worth it as you get to understand the latest discoveries in Physics! Would highly recommend :smile:
I have a lot. But very recently I read the laws of human nature by Robert Greene, and it was a good read. This book is really interesting as it focuses on human behaviour and why we act certain ways.
l read millers Antique Guides they feed my brain
Reply 10
Original post by Scottishlad888
l read millers Antique Guides they feed my brain

what are they about?
i love books too much i cant choose
Original post by boeuf
what are they about?

They are about Antiques like old coins /glass wear /art/old lamps/maps/you can google it
Reply 13
Original post by Scottishlad888
They are about Antiques like old coins /glass wear /art/old lamps/maps/you can google it

ok i just ordered it thanks
Original post by x_lalalisa_x
i love books too much i cant choose

Same :five:
I have so much books I’ve run out of space to put them :bawling:
Original post by boeuf
ok i just ordered it thanks

That was very quick you can buy them from Amazon lol
wind in the willows :smile:
Zoobiquity (I cant remember the author :frown:) a fascinating read! Shows how blind we are to so many treatments simply because vets are ‘less qualified’ than doctors according to some.
Also Lord Sugar’s biography is absolutely hilarious, a great insight into business studies!
Either-
Now.tjen lad by mike pannett
The night the angels came by Cathy glass
Original post by boeuf
Love that book! have you read 'Reality is not what it seems' by Carlo Rovelli? It's about reconciling Quantum physics with Special relativity and gravity. It gets very complex to understand and is a step up from Hawking's book but is worth it as you get to understand the latest discoveries in Physics! Would highly recommend :smile:

Thanks man,long time 😉.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending