The Student Room Group

Help Pls. Where can I study Med as an International?

I was looking at Uni websites in UK and I probably wont be able to afford it. My parents are willing to support me, but they wont be able to affork UK. I live in HK right now and I have a Canadian permanent passport so I would qualify as a home student there. I dont qualify for HK uni's becuase i dont speak Chinese.
I want to practice in Canada but it takes alot longer i.e your first degree, and its much more competitive.
Im thinking of getting my first degree at somewhere cheap then transfer to Canada.
Or maybe
Australia,
I might take a look at New Zealand
Does anyone know any other less costly alternative countries to look at?
or any cheaper Uni's in UK?
CUHK wants you to have 5 subjects with >95% average UMS at AS and >90% at A2... their course is taught is english though, so is hku; so technically you won't need to speak cantonese at all, and most people in HK understands english anyway, as english is a compulsory subject until GCSE... so if its the launguage barrier i wouldn't worry, but if its the grades then it is another matter...
Reply 2
billykwok
CUHK wants you to have 5 subjects with >95% average UMS at AS and >90% at A2... their course is taught is english though, so is hku; so technically you won't need to speak cantonese at all, and most people in HK understands english anyway, as english is a compulsory subject until GCSE... so if its the launguage barrier i wouldn't worry, but if its the grades then it is another matter...

true. But I want to practice medicine in a country that I can communicate in. The big problem is that if i cant communicate fully with patients, it makes it difficult to practice and dianose
Reply 3
Australia and NZ are just as expensive as UK to study in (esp med) for international students. Just go to Canada.

EDIT: Aus and NZ are more expensive than UK because you've to pay for full 5 years whereas in the UK you've to pay more for 3 clinical years only.
Reply 4
neodymium
Australia and NZ are just as expensive as UK to study in (esp med) for international students. Just go to Canada.

EDIT: Aus and NZ are more expensive than UK because you've to pay for full 5 years whereas in the UK you've to pay more for 3 clinical years only.

i was just thinking Canada is not necessarily cheaper if it takes a few years longer
Reply 5
appletree_1
i was just thinking Canada is not necessarily cheaper if it takes a few years longer

I know it's a pain in the ass to study med (well, almost anything) as an int'l student.

Latest

Trending

Trending