The Student Room Group

Work experience for biology?

Do you need work experience to stand a chance of getting onto a biology course? If so, or even if you don't, what type of work experience would be useful? I know that might seem like a really obvious question, but I really want to do biology and need to know if work experience is necessary useful, as so far the only job I've ever had is working as an assistant at a vets!
Thanks for any advice :smile:
Reply 1
BabyAngel
Do you need work experience to stand a chance of getting onto a biology course?

no, you dont need work experiance for many courses, although if you do decide to it will help
Reply 2
Yeah perhaps if you are applying for a top 5 university then work experience would be useful, no matter which course you are applying for. But usually, you don't need work experience to get onto a biology course.
Reply 3
what kind of work experience would help?! - would stuff like shadowing in a hospital lab/pharmacy be suitable,,, or are there other things??
Reply 4
Technically you can get into a biology course without work experience, I know a few of my friends did. BUT I strongly recommend doing some kind of work to optimise ur chances of getting in. There are loads of things you can do:
- working at a university research lab (thats what I did)
- working at a research centre
- working with a vet
- working with a doctor
- working in a hospital
- working with a dentist
- working in a pharmacy
- working in a nature park
- working in a zoo
- working in an aquarium
Reply 5
tweetsy85
Technically you can get into a biology course without work experience, I know a few of my friends did. BUT I strongly recommend doing some kind of work to optimise ur chances of getting in. There are loads of things you can do:
- working at a university research lab (thats what I did)
- working at a research centre
- working with a vet
- working with a doctor
- working in a hospital
- working with a dentist
- working in a pharmacy
- working in a nature park
- working in a zoo
- working in an aquarium

what did you get to do in a uni research lab??
was it good?
Reply 6
I was told it would be vital... and then never got my act together. Oxford accepted me anyway and I'm not a particularly outstanding candidate. (Don't get me wrong I'm talking straight As i just mean I'm not one of these 7 subjects 300/300 genii!!) So basically what i'm saying is it'll help your application but it isn't vital
I got offers from York and leeds without work experience. Importantly, my personal statement was directed at medicine, so not only did I not have work experience... it was obvious I wanted to study another course.

I really don't think it's that important for biology. I don't know anybody who did work experience, and everybody in my biology class is off to a good uni (grades permitting)

Latest

Trending

Trending