The Student Room Group

work experience for biology?

hey guys as u can probably guess from the title, i've been trying to find work experience for biology for the summer (i'm in year 12) but i literally have no idea where to look. most of the work experience stuff i find online are for state-funded schools. i was wondering if i should email university labs or biological companies and if that's a good idea?? i know work experience is not compulsory, but i'm sure it would look a lot better if i did have work experience.
Reply 1
I know there are a handful of funded outreach schemes that offer experience but you'll struggle to find a university or commercial work experience placement as a sixth form student. It would involve a lot of health and safety hurdles.

That is why such experience isn't just not compulsory but it is also not expected at all.

Ecology/environmental/conservation experience would be easier to obtain.
Reply 2
Original post by Gazpacho.
I know there are a handful of funded outreach schemes that offer experience but you'll struggle to find a university or commercial work experience placement as a sixth form student. It would involve a lot of health and safety hurdles.

That is why such experience isn't just not compulsory but it is also not expected at all.

**** like that is boring though.....
Reply 3
Original post by Gazpacho.

hmm i see, i'll definitely try and look around for those types of experiences then but do you think emailing labs would be worth a shot??
Reply 4
Original post by intolewd
hey guys as u can probably guess from the title, i've been trying to find work experience for biology for the summer (i'm in year 12) but i literally have no idea where to look. most of the work experience stuff i find online are for state-funded schools. i was wondering if i should email university labs or biological companies and if that's a good idea?? i know work experience is not compulsory, but i'm sure it would look a lot better if i did have work experience.

Hey, I’m in year 13 and I’ve applied for biology c100 at uni. I personally just took to emailing places near me that I thought could provide me with work experience and I got 2 places. One was volunteering for a local wildlife trust where I got to do more ecology/conservational work. I did three days here and I loved it, so definitely go for placements even if you think it may not be in your taste. I also got into a genomics lab. While I couldn’t do work experience there, they did offer me a day of shadowing one of their scientists, which was really beneficial to me and looks great on my personal statement. Your best bet is just emailing places, worst they can do is not reply or say no. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by lois736
Hey, I’m in year 13 and I’ve applied for biology c100 at uni. I personally just took to emailing places near me that I thought could provide me with work experience and I got 2 places. One was volunteering for a local wildlife trust where I got to do more ecology/conservational work. I did three days here and I loved it, so definitely go for placements even if you think it may not be in your taste. I also got into a genomics lab. While I couldn’t do work experience there, they did offer me a day of shadowing one of their scientists, which was really beneficial to me and looks great on my personal statement. Your best bet is just emailing places, worst they can do is not reply or say no. Good luck!

omg tysm for this 🙂 super helpful! just wanted to ask, was it a lab at a uni or was it just a lab around where you lived?
Reply 6
omg tysm for this 🙂 super helpful! just wanted to ask, was it a lab at a uni or was it just a lab around where you lived?

It was a pet DNA testing company local to me! I live a plane flight away from the nearest uni so unfortunately that wouldn’t be a convenient option for me. I seriously just went on google and searched for ‘biology labs near me’ (odd method I know) and it was one of a few options I had. Are you thinking of applying to Biology or anything more specific?
Reply 7
Original post by lois736
It was a pet DNA testing company local to me! I live a plane flight away from the nearest uni so unfortunately that wouldn’t be a convenient option for me. I seriously just went on google and searched for ‘biology labs near me’ (odd method I know) and it was one of a few options I had. Are you thinking of applying to Biology or anything more specific?

i see. i’ll definitely try that method 🙂 !! and yes, i’m thinking of applying for biology, just straight up biological sciences
Reply 8
i see. i’ll definitely try that method 🙂 !! and yes, i’m thinking of applying for biology, just straight up biological sciences

Cool same as me then! And yeah don’t worry if you don’t have any work experience as unis do understand, but it will be a great help to deciding if it’s what you really want to do and it can set you apart from other applicants and show initiative, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending