The Student Room Group

which countries are closed countries?

Scroll to see replies

Saudi Arabia is not closed. My friend and all her mates went there last year! On a normal beach holiday!
Reply 41
hollo
Personally I would not support the North Korean state...

A lot of Middle Eastern countries won't let you enter if you have been to or are from Israel. It is not just a question of using a 'differnt piece of paper' either as they will look at the entrances and exits used in neighbouring countries and find the gap. It is possible to make some land crossings and enter certain places certain ways but the only sure-fire way would be to go years later on a new passport. Even if you have dual nationality and multiple passports immigration would investigate and check both as you would still have the missing links. Y'all should google it, it's quite interesting.

(and I agree about Kirkcaldy)

Yup, I travelled to Syria recently and they asked me on the visa form if I'd ever been to Israel. Then when I got there they examined every page of my passport, checking for evidence of my presence in Israel. This includes not only Israeli stamps but stamps of other countries' borders with Israel.

I've known a few people who have tried and failed to get visas for Iran in the last year.

And I am somewhat cynical that somebody went on a 'proper beach holiday' to Saudi....you get arrested for not wearing Islamic dress there, plus they only grant visas to certain types of people and 'tourist' (unless for Hajj/ other certain groups but certainly not unmarried women) is not one of them. They must have been in Dubai or somewhere instead.
I think going through the Gaza strip is now the only way to avoid the passport stamp issue...not really the ideal plan though.

I would have thought the tourist visas for Brits for Iran has become even tougher now. I'm pretty laid back but I don't think I'd feel too comfortable going there right now either.

Other than Iran, a lot of the ill advised travel destinations are currently ones that you'd pretty much avoid anyway, like Chad and Somalia.
Reply 43
neodymium: I believe America has been considered a closed country by many for quite a while now.
Reply 44
Burma is not closed. It opened to tourism approx. 10 years ago. However, you cannot get a visa there from some countries- including the United States- because they do not support the military junta government. You can get into Burma from many countries that border it.

The land borders aren't closed, they are just closely monitored for Burmese people that are fleeing to Thailand.

I was there on a study abroad trip. It is a beautiful, wonderful country. It is virtually untouched by tourism. Although the people live with terrible governmental rules, they are so happy to just talk to you and learn about westerns.

Burma has gotten a lot of attention recently due to the release of Aung Yung Suu Kyi from house arrest. Hopefully, it won't lead to the influx of tourism, because I think that would have an adverse effect on the country, not to mention that the majority of hotels, restaurants, and shopping centers are government run and the government receives the money from these places.
Reply 45
North Korea might as well be closed. Sure, you can go on state run tours, but you literally cannot leave your hotel without a guide. Not even to pop to the shop for a drink. The guides can only take you to a designated list of sites, nothing remotely political. Very few of the locals will risk talking to you, in case you somehow do something offensive that they'll be blamed for. Heck, most won't even talk to you because they've been told that foreigners are the devil. You cannot say something even mildly negative about the country, even if you comment "It rains a lot here" or "It's too hot today!" without being reprimanded. If you do or say anything truly offensive, your guide can be sent to a labour camp.

My friend did a trip to North Korea. He said that it wasn't worth the effort involved. If they replicated the monuments in England, you wouldn't ever need to bother going there; you don't get to feel "the real North Korea" at all (or maybe you do, and that's the problem). He also said that the Wikitravel entry was overly generous about North Korea, and if you read it then I think that says it all. I don't understand why anyone would want to go to a country where you can't explore freely, spend a minute by yourself, or talk to the local people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Shuvel
Kircaldy. Not closed but deemed unsafe.

In what way is Kircaldy unsafe? It's not even a country its part of scotland
Reply 47
Original post by Adam543
In what way is Kircaldy unsafe? It's not even a country its part of scotland

You've obviously never been to Kircaldy. and I know it's not, it was a joke.
Reply 48
Burma
Vietnam is very beautiful and peaceful. I been there in last summer. It was amazing time :smile:)))
you're not funny and your answer is false as there are at least 50 more countries that are NOT closed. So your answer is invalid.
You still can travel in the North Korea but you must go with two tour guides of their country everywhere and everywhen. It's also safe to visit if you come there for the purpose of travelling, comply with their law and respect the leaders.
There are tour comapnies that let you mix with the public in North Korea but you do have guides with you at all times. They are very nice to tourist even American tourists that they use to ban as long as you don't insult them and be disrespectful then you'll be fine. I'm going there next year and most of the hassle will be in China getting there.

The stans are quite hard to get into and often get overlooked. Countries like Turkmenistan have dictatorship like NK but also have other human sides to them too. I heard Afganistan do tours now but don't know if i'd go there with the threats of terrorism.
There are no totally 'closed' countries in the world for British passport holders. But there are some which are very difficult to visit.

Some countries won't allow nationals of other countries to visit. For example, Armenians aren't generally allowed into Azerbaijan (a few exceptions are made). Israelis aren't allowed into Iran, Lebanon, Algeria and a whole load of other countries under any circumstances. Also, people with Israeli passport stamps or evidence of having been to Israel are not allowed into certain countries.

Some countries make it very difficult for British passport holders to visit unless they are on a tour (North Korea, Iran, Turkmenistan) or have a work permit/support of their employer/are on a pilgrimage (Saudi Arabia). It is almost impossible to visit Saudi Arabia as a tourist, but quite easy as a businessperson with a local sponsor.

There are also some other countries which make it exceptionally difficult for tourists to get visas for. The hardest are often considered to be Equatorial Guinea and Angola, both African oil states- it is extremely bureaucratic and expensive to get vias for these places as a tourist. Yet, it's relatively easy to go if you are in the oil industry and sponsored by you company. Algeria is also very tough.

Other countries are difficult to get visas for because they don't have an embassy in the UK- mostlyFrench speaking African countries. So, even if the visa requirements are quite cheap/easy, the logistics of getting the visa canbe difficult.

Some people mentioned Moldova- you can fly on budget airlines from Luton or Stansted and don't need a visa. Moldova is in no way closed (though few people visit).

Bear in mind that it is generally more difficult for a citizen of any of the countries named above to visit the UK than for a British person to visit that country. People often complain about how 'hard' it is to get a Russian tourist visa, for example. It's not that difficult, you just pay your money and fill in a (long) application. It is MUCH harder for a Russian to get a visa to visit the UK- they have to apply in person at the embassy/consulate. For someone living on the Pacific coast, that means an 8-10 hour flight to Moscow or a 6 day train journey. Fees are about twice that of a Russian visa for a British person (and local salaries much lower) and are non-refundable even if the visa is refused.

Generally, British citizens have it very lucky.

Quick Reply

Latest